Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unfinished Games vs Bad Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Unfinished Games vs Bad Games

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    With a game being rushed, I can see your point in that every game is rushed (to some degree) or at least has a deadline. I suppose it depends on the circumstances, since some games clearly are compromised.

One might be games based on movies or tv shows. When Ocean was making Jurassic Park games in the early 1990's, the head honcho may have walked in one day and said, "Shit, we got 2-3 months to make a game for Jurassic Park before it comes to the theater or video (depending on when the game came out). Get on it!"
    Remember the stink about the Pirates of the Carribean game? I'm told there are patches available for the PC version that make it much more playable.

Might it be said that the term "unfinished" is an adequate term to sum up one's sentiments about a feature so blatantly and obviously flawed that it seems anyone could easily see a means of improving it after a moment's examination?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Honestly, I can't really picture any developer sitting there just twiddling his or her thumbs saying "Well, that's all we're going to do with this; now we can just kick back, relax, and wait for the release date". While there surely are programmers that can't cut it, I think there comes a point when the code or design is so flawed that there's no being subjective about it (unlike with say, singers or such) - they KNOW the game has problems. Maybe they lack the knowledge or skill to fix them or maybe they simply don't have enough time even if it does seem like it should be plenty of time to the outside world (and part of that problem could be that they're not talented enough to use their time well).

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Edit: Double post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battlecruiser 3000AD was blantantly unfinished when it was released. You'd have thougth that after a mere seven years of development that it'd have at least been slightly good.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

castlevania sotn was very much unfinished when it was released, but it still ended up being an awesome game

and a good excuse to release the more finished saturn version a year or so later ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic 2 was certainly unfinished, but people seem to think it turned out okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Do you have a particular basis for that statement other than the existence of the beta versions?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Do you have a particular basis for that statement other than the existence of the beta versions?
    See, this is the very reason I started this thread. This idea of just throwing around the term "unfinished" like a frisbee drives me crazy.

Now they have me doing the same thing with some games that I recently played!

-"Friday the 13th" for the NES: Unfinished?
    -"Home Alone" for Super NES: Unfinished?
    -"Urban Champion" for NES: Unfinished?
    -"Vigilante" for Sega Master System: Unfinished?
    -"Spec Ops" for Playstation: Unfinished?
    -"Crueball" for Sega Genesis: Unfinished?
    -'WWF Wrestlemania" for NES: Unfinished?
    -"Zelda II: The Adventure of Link": Unfinished? (well, people beat the game to death for being a side-scroller)
    -"Black Bass" for NES: Unfinished? (gee, maybe because the fish were an ugly dark green and didn't look like real fish?)
    -"Night Trap" for Sega CD: Unfinished?
    -"Bad Dudes" in the arcade: Unfinished? (hey, if console games are sometimes "unfinished", why not arcade games?)
    -"Space Channel 5" for Sega Dreamcast: Unfinished?

That's more than enough examples. I don't even like using sarcasm See how easy it is to fall into that trap, though, and call everything unfinished? I hope nobody took that list seriously.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like artists and musicians, some developers are more talented than others.

I had read on more than one occassion that Rare was privy to game development secrets that no other developer received, back in the N64 days, which may or may not explain why their games were two cuts above everyone elses. Might be true, might not.

I'm sure that there are developers that can be persuaded to rush a game or two in order to meet a launch or holiday deadline. What really sucks is when the public pays good money for these "efforts".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    There were 4 additional zones intended for the game that were left out of the end product. I remember someone from STI stating in an interview that this was due to time constraints. Obviously, these 4 zones (and hence, the game) were not finished, else they'd be in it.

Long before the beta was known to the wild world of the internet, it was immediately apparent that Sonic 2 was unfinished to some extent, based on it containing a tune in a sound test that never appears in the game. Obviously that tune was intended for something that wasn't finished, n'est-ce pas?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unused tunes in a sound test hardly seem to be sufficient basis for calling a game unfinished. Right now the only example I can think of is Kirby's Dream Land 2, which I cannot imagine anyone calling unfinished.

I'm also quite sure that there are a lot of games which are initialy planned to have features that do not make it into the final product. I think the real question is how well the final product stands without them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Unfinished Games vs Bad Games

Well, I suppose everybody has to make this appear like rocket science. If the game has a generally high level of quality but with inexplicable deficiencies here and there, that's a clue the game might have been rushed.

Naturally, some games aren't unfinished, but flawed - say the endgame is idiotic - and this might have carried over from the very beginning of the project, when the team leads plotted the course of the development's history over the next year to two years.

Developers eventually have to "let go" their releases, even if they don't have a set ship date from the beginning (a rare event), warts and all. In a sense, most all games are "unfinished" as few games end up living up to the designer's original intention.

If anthing this term illustrates the difference not between a reviewer's and a developer's viewpoint (they're actually quite close in goals), but the inevitable end result of developing on a schedule.

I think it's pretty foolish to say that you can't ever spot rushed games, even if there is no definitive criteria for determining if a game is "rushed."

Quote Originally Posted by o2william
    If [the reviewer] can quote the project leader saying something like, "Management mandated unreasonable deadlines that forced us to ship before we had time to do proper QA," then it's safe to call the game unfinished.
    It's also safe to say that the project leader in question will be found shot dead outside their apartment shortly after making such a statement. Fired, at the very least, like our friend the PS3 artist.

And to answer Jorpho, I can think of a few other titles with unused tracks in the sound test, especially in arcade games. That's definitely not a good criterion.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Double Dragon was unfinshed but still a great a game....

But it could have been awesome and I think the Technos must have been going bank at the time.
    They trashed the story boards and the last level is very unsatisfying and when you think of how awesome the presentation of..... double dragon 2 nes was. Chopped the whole story, took out characters that were in the instuction manual.

Meh and then tradewest went and messed around with the US version, bleh.
    Go, go Ackman!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Unused music is more often a sign that they decided the tune wasn't needed, wanted, or fitting for the game.

You know, it is possibly for developers to WANT to cut something from a game. Maybe as gamers we think more is better so as long as something isn't poor quality we think it should stay in the game. Look at the Japanese in-store demo of Chrono Trigger; that prototype version of the game contained a lot of stuff that the final version did not. However, it was simply the developers' choice to remove the content, not an issue of the game being unfinished or rushed. For further proof and to get back into the unused songs issue, you just have to check the Chrono Trigger original soundtrack. There are two tracks on it that weren't in the game, and the composer Mitsuda himself was interviewed regarding those songs. He was a little sad that they weren't included in the game because they were very good songs (BUT I believe they're still on the cart; there's just no sound test to access them by normal means), but he explained how one was intended for a dungeon in the prehistoric era. The developers decided that the dungeon wasn't ultimately important to the plot or flow of the game and the era already had enough dungeons (in balance with the other eras), so it was cut. They didn't need the song for anything else, so that was that. Since it would take extra effort to remove it from the cart, why bother?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Levels

Saying a game is unfinished because some unused levels are floating around is NUTS.

Unused/lost levels from Super Mario 3 (NES) are supposedly found with an easy internet search and have been covered in magazines. Does that mean the game was unfinished?

Keep in mind one key thing with some of these games, like Sonic 2 and Mario 3, which have unused or lost levels that didn't appear in the final copy.

Those games never had save features on their original systems AND they were being marketed for kids. You had to finish the original versions of those games in one sitting and one day, without turning off your system.

Without using warp zones or Game Genies, playing either of those all the way through and beating them takes a long time. Those games were big enough the way they turned out.

Reality: Those types of games ARE finished.

Using that logic of a game being unfinished because a bunch of levels weren't used is shaky.

When "Jaws" (Spielberg) came out on dvd, there was 60-70 minutes of deleted scenes/footage packed on that you could watch. So was the movie unfinished?

Or how about someone, say Tom Petty, reissuing an album (whether a hit album or flop) years later with bonus tracks including 2-3 cuts that never made it on the original. So the album was unfinished then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thrill Kill is unfinished