Thread: I need help with Media Center and my Xbox 360! Please?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I need help with Media Center and my Xbox 360! Please?

Ok, what I'm trying to do, is to copy some of my DVD movies to my PC, so that I can view them via my Xbox 360 and it's media center functions. Mainly, I'm trying to do this for my kids, because if I could copy a bunch of kids movies to my PC's hard drive and view them that way, it would just be easier for me. I don't have to worry about scratches and all that crap.

Anyways, they like this movie called "Pippi Longstocking", so what I did was take the DVD disk and using a program called "DVD Shrink 3.2" I copied it to my PC's harddrive. The movie is in a folder named "DVD Movies" and within that folder another folder named "PIPPILONGSTOCKING". If you click on that folder, inside there are two folders named "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS".

Now, when I use my PC, and I'm using Media Center, I can view that movie just fine, by going to "My Videos", and selecting "DVD Movies" and then clicking on "PIPPILONGSTOCKING". The movie starts right up and plays fine. But when I go to my Xbox 360 and try to do it, it says something like "Cannot Play Video, file is not supported" or something like that. I have clicked on the video on my PC and clicked on the sharing thing to allow it to be shared over my Networks, but it still doesn't work. I've tried adding some other little videos to the "DVD Movies" folder, little videos of things that I've downloaded, and they play absolutely fine. For example, I had this little video that I download from Nintendo's website, it's a little demonstration video of the new Nintendo Wii console, and that video plays absolutely fine on my Xbox 360. But for whatever reason, I can't get the "PIPPILONGSTOCKING" movie to play.

So, I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure which step of the process I'm doing wrong. I would like to add some other kid movies into that folder to be able to watch, but I'm worried that I'm going to have the same problem with all of them, unless I change the way I'm doing it.

If you wanted to put a DVD movie onto your PC's harddrive, so that you can stream it to your 360, what is the exact process that you would follow?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, because I really think this would be a cool feature, but I can't seem to use it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if what you are using can create a vob file from a DVD, but do that, then you can get http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/Xbox360/ this program, and use it to convert that file into a wmv file which will definately stream to the xbox 360.
    I game therefore I am.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I figured out how to do it. Here is a little guide for other people.

#1. Find and download the latest version of DVD Shrink

#2. Go here... http://runtime360.com/projects/trans...e-360-download ..... and download this program. This program is the dream.

#3. Take one of your favorite DVD's, put it into your PC, and load up DVD Shrink.

#4. Here is the key factor... You need to Re-Author the DVD and only select just the movie itself and one audio track. Put it on your hard drive, when it's done you will get a AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder. Make a new folder, name it the name of the movie, and put those two folders inside.

#5. Then go into the properties for the folder and click on sharing. Make sure to check the box to add sharing over the network. Go into Media Center on your PC and add that folder to your "My Videos" section. Then on the Xbox 360, connect with Media Center and select "My Videos" then hit "info" on the 360 remote. Choose add videos and add that video on the 360 side.

6. Now, install Transcode 360 on your PC. Make sure your firewalls and security crap allow it to do it's business.

7. Now you are pretty much set. Go to this faq and check out the rest of the instructions

http://runtime360.com/projects/trans...e/quick-start/

Good Luck!