Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Default SegaCD/Genny combo unit - fuse replacement

Hi all: Do any of you know if the SegaCD/Genny combo units model MK-4102 had the same fuse problem as other SegaCD systems? I got one from an uncle and it tried to start up once and now nothing. I was thinking it may be the fuse. Do any of you have knowledge on how to do this? Thanks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nope but if you know i think mine has the same problem

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Well, I want to fix it but I'm not that familiar with the motherboard in these combo units. I hope someone on these forums can help us.

This is one of the sites I have found but I have no idea what these different models are:
    http://www.mrvfone.com.au/sega/fuse.htm

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I want to stress that I dont know about your hardware. If i get he time I will see what I can find but, I just started finance class today and, I allready owe these guys a project online here (working on it), so don't hold your breath.
    I did want to ask a question though. have you checked the power block/cord?? Sometimes they will supply enough electricity to do something but, not what thier intended to do. If you have a volt meter I would sugest that you make sure that the voltage coming to your system actually meets te system requirements.
    Look at what the output is listed as on the block. Then make sure and pay attention to the polarity of the plug. It will be listed on the block and look something like a capital C with a dot in the middle. It might look something like this.

+ --C-- - The plus shows that the positive polarity is on the outside and the minus shows that the negative is on the inside. yours might vary but the image will be pretty much the same. (I cant make a dot inside the capital C)
    Hope that helps.
    I dont know your level of expertise so I had to make some assumptions here. Please forgive if you allready knew this and, checked the power source. I always start with the most simple things and work my way up the chain of difficulty.
    I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Well, I followed dedtech's advice. I switched power plugs and the thing works! I feel really stupid that I was about to pry the thing open and do some soldering when all it needed was a good power cord. I sometimes forget to start with the simpler things first. Thanks dedtech.

In relation to replacing the fuses on these systems, does anyone know or have access to schematics of the Sega CD/Genesis combo unit (I do not know which model I have)? I have seen a lot of these not functioning and I'm wanting to restore some of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis Schematics.

I dont know how helpfull these will be for you but, here they are. I will bet that most of the problems are going to be power plug related. The rest are probably not worth fixing for the most part. Okay sure here wll be some female power plug issues where a wire has come lose inside the genesis but, thats he smaller of the isses I have seen with consoles. You will probably find some microresistors blown up in there from power spikes. thats pretty much unfixable. The parts on the board could be worth stripping though.
    I keep thinking that I read somewhere that the board on the old Genesis is the same/similuar as the one on the original apple computer. I dont know how acurate that is but, I bet it is using the same main chipset.
    Things that might be interesting though is if you can find the original Genesis model 1 with out the code signiture security feature. If you can find that I would hypothesize that you can remove the bios chip and put it on a later model genesis with no ill effects. Also, this should gain you the ability to have a newer looking Genesis that can run the unlicenced games. Then again find the right bios and you could dump it and sell the chip..... BUT that would be illegal and I would hazard a guess that the DMCA people would come down on you if your living inside the US.
    Check out this thread SOLVED!! The great Genesis Model 1 comparison list
    I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Awesome. Thanks again for the info.

I am a novice when it comes to electronics. I can find what component is bad, buy new parts and solder but I cannot build things from scratch. Plus, as you said, finding these parts is impossible in some cases. This is what I was told about these segaCD/genesis combos - pretty much for parts if some of the board components get fried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Sounds like you're good to go. For future questions such as this, try posting them in the Technical and Restoration Society - which is also an excellent resource for technical stuff concerning consoles and games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Oops, never been in there. Sorry and Thanks!