Thread: Strategy RPG's Like Shining Force

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strategy RPG's Like Shining Force

I'm looking for some good strat RPG's in the shining force vein. meaning strategy based battles, but free roaming exploration and the ability to walk through towns and such.

A few that I know of that might fall into this category are Arc the Lad II, III, and the Fire Emblem series, but I haven't played any of those so I'm not sure.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm looking for some good strat RPG's in the shining force vein. meaning strategy based battles, but free roaming exploration and the ability to walk through towns and such.
    Growlanser 3 and Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

A few that I know of that might fall into this category are Arc the Lad II, III, and the Fire Emblem series, but I haven't played any of those so I'm not sure.

The battles in the Fire Emblem games are very similar to Shining Force, but the games aren't free roaming.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

It's not free roaming but Vandal Hearts is a good choice if you like Shining games. It's more laid back then say the Ogre style games.

The Arc the Lad series does indeed do free roaming. Except for 5 which was an action RPG.

Crystal Warriors for gamegear allows free roaming, although the towns are only a few houses large and all look alike.

Then you have a few of the monster raising tactical games for PSX like Eternal Eyes and Monster Seeds. Neither are very good, but they're not horrible and you can walk around town.

Oh jeez, nevermind what you MUST play is Just Breed for NES. It's not comercially available, you'll either have to download it and patch the rom or leonk can sell you the reproduction. But it plays EXACTLY like Shining Force. Only difference is that you get teams with captains.