Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Samus always been a girl ?...

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

yeah its hard to say whether or not Samus was originally supposed to be male or female when the game was originally created. It definately refers to samus as HIM in the old instruction manual for NES. I guess only the creators can tell us whether or not there was an error mde in the book or if she was supposed to be a he in the beggining. Something I didn't know before was that Metroid and Kid Icarus for the NES both used the same engine.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only "special" password is NARPASSWORD. That is, it doesn't validate with the regular password algorithm.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think I made a good point there, though. If you're going to make a plot twist, you can't lie to use beforehand.
    Nah, I still think your point sucks.
    The only "special" password is NARPASSWORD. That is, it doesn't validate with the regular password algorithm.
    This is interesting....wtf does it do?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    It definitely refers to samus as HIM in the old instruction manual for NES.
    It was early in the NES' US launch, localization errors were plenty at the time. The Famicom Disk System version is still superior as it has a save dialogue similar to the Zelda games and no password BS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It was early in the NES' US launch, localization errors were plenty at the time.
    True, though it wasn't an error.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I think I made a good point there, though. If you're going to make a plot twist, you can't lie to use beforehand.

-Rob
    All items, infinite missiles and health :P And free access to Tourian without killing the bosses, I think.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus

-Rob
    All items, infinite missiles and health :P And free access to Tourian without killing the bosses, I think.
    You still need to defeat Kraid and Ridley. You start with the morph ball, bombs, ice beam and long beam. If you prefer the wave beam, you'd have to take a separate trip for it. With this password in, the average player can beat the game in about 15 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evangelion-01
    samus = chick from aliens
    That's what I always thought, I just figured whoever made the game was a big Alien fan, or Sigourney Weaver fan, but then again who isn't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's what I always thought, I just figured whoever made the game was a big Alien fan, or Sigourney Weaver fan, but then again who isn't
    Well, she's female...a definite parallel with Ripley from Aliens. The Metroid series was directly influenced by the Alien series (the creators have fully admit this time and time again). Why do you think Ridley is named Ridley? After Ridley Scott, of course.

-Rob

Insert Coin (Level 0) extrarice's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    It definitely refers to samus as HIM in the old instruction manual for NES.
    It was early in the NES' US launch, localization errors were plenty at the time.
    As davidbrit2 mentioned in the previous thread on this (referenced earlier), it's just a translation error:

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    According to English language rules, the correct singular pronoun to use in a situation where you don't know the correct gender to specify for whatever reason, is in fact "he". And to make matter worse, Japanese doesn't really have gender-specific pronouns that would have been used in the context of a game manual. So you can blame all of this on translation issues, I'll bet. Heh.
    earlier DP thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

As davidbrit2 mentioned in the previous thread on this (referenced earlier), it's just a translation error:
    I disagree reasons already stated in said other thread. Why would they tell you ahead of time and ruin the surprise endings? I still think they did it on purpose in the instruction book. I'm also pretty sure I remember Nintendo Power mentioning it was indeed a surprise (no way I'm digging through 10 billion issues to back that one up). They could have easily just said it was a typo, but they didn't.

BTW, anyone got the Japanese manual?

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit
    Infact, people still can't beleive that Samus is a girl and always refer to her as
    "Metroid."
    Here's a prime example:
    http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20060603.jpg

But then, he may have used Metroid as a general reference for those that still don't understand her name's Samus. It just comes to show that it's still widely used.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

I disagree reasons already stated in said other thread. Why would they tell you ahead of time and ruin the surprise endings? I still think they did it on purpose in the instruction book. I'm also pretty sure I remember Nintendo Power mentioning it was indeed a surprise (no way I'm digging through 10 billion issues to figure back that one up). They could have easily just said it was a typo, but they didn't.

BTW, anyone got the Japanese manual?

-Rob
    NP has mentioned multiple times over the years Metroid's surprise ending, and has never rebutted the story. The whole point of the bloody manual was that no one knows who Samus was, and who he looked like. If the story was significantly different in Japan, don't you think that TJ Rappel would have published it on the MDb by now?
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

NP has mentioned multiple times over the years Metroid's surprise ending, and has never rebutted the story. The whole point of the bloody manual was that no one knows who Samus was, and who he looked like. If the story was significantly different in Japan, don't you think that TJ Rappel would have published it on the MDb by now?
    GarretCRW is da man and all you non-believers are fools! BWA HA HA HA HA!!

-Rob

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find your lack of faith disturbing..

Of course Samus is a chick.. if not.. then I've got some serious reconsidering to do about what I think is sexy o_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't finished the DiskCard version yet, but I just read the Metroid review in the Japanese book sold at the Famicom 20th Anniversary and they talk in there about the surprise ending and Samus' gender. So I am now sure the ending was also part of the original Japanese version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by lkermel
    I haven't finished the DiskCard version yet, but I just read the Metroid review in the Japanese book sold at the Famicom 20th Anniversary and they talk in there about the surprise ending and Samus' gender. So I am now sure the ending was also part of the original Japanese version.
    I've beaten the FDS version, and I can attest that the endings are the same, with the same rules (unlike Kid Icarus, which has different conditions for the best ending). I do believe that the argument is over.

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    Quote Originally Posted by lkermel
    I've beaten the FDS version, and I can attest that the endings are the same, with the same rules (unlike Kid Icarus, which has different conditions for the best ending). I do believe that the argument is over.
    Pwn3d.

-Rob

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I generally hate to quote myself, but as a Public Service I shall do so twice!

This is fucking idiotic. The point is that Nintendo didn't pay attention to what it was doing in writing the manual. The writer need not beat the game, or even play it. He just needs the general idea of the game, and information about weapons and enemies, etc.
    The idea that "he" was intentionally put in the manual to misguide everyone's assumptions and therefore set up the "surprise ending" is not the product of a thinking person. The fact is that at that time (and even now, I'd wager), game players naturally assumed that the hero was male, unless it was specifically shown not to be (Athena. etc.) Ambiguous character? Male. Character in a space suit? Male. Unseen racecar drivers, spaceship pilots, tank crews, etc? Male. "Princess Zelda" with long hair and dress? FEMALE. There is no need to reinforce the natural assumptions EVERYONE makes.

*ring*--"Hello?"
    (caller)--"This is Jimmy from Nintendo. Are you playing Metroid right now?"
    --"No, but I guess I could be."
    (N)--"Well, just remember something.."
    --"Yeah?"
    (N)--"The next time you play Metroid.."
    --"Okay?"
    (N)--"No matter what you may already think.."
    --"?"
    (N)--"Samus is ACTUALLY a man! NOT a woman!"
    --"And?"
    (N)--"That's just it! Don't you get it?"
    --"No, not really. I guess I already figured that, but whatever."

At any rate, if you still want to remain in the little fanworld universe where all contradictions and mistakes are explained away with elaborate attributions (see Star Wars boards), then I'll have to make a final plea to the remaining micron or two of your mind not consumed by stupidity:

When you make a surprise ending, you do it by going against or away from the audience's assumptions. You can either build something up so that the audience thinks they know where it is headed, and then change course, or you can play on the audience's natural assumptions that they bring woth them.
    The surprise ending cannot contradict the rest of the work. And the rest of the work cannot contradict the surprise ending. "The Sixth Sense" is an easy example to work from: The surprise ending is enabled because WE (the viewers) are not expecting an entire movie to be based on a dead person's experience and perspective. And it works because it is consistent. You can go back and see how the clues were there all along,but we misinterpreted them based on our natural assumptions. THAT is what makes the surprise ending so entertaining. Not that it is unexpected, but that it allowed us to believe one thing but actually mean another WITHOUT contradicting either belief.

The Sixth Sense does not have text at the beginning that says "Bruce Willis is alive and well all throughout this movie." Why? Because we already would assume so, and (most importantly) because it would not be consistent with the movie.
    Go ahead and think of every "surprise ending" you can remember, and see if you can remember a time when the work itself flat out lied to you so as to surprise you later with the "truth".

By your reasoning, we would see surprise endings in every movie and game from here to eternity. All you have to do is lie about the ending. Let me see if I can make some surprise endings work out via manual inserts:

(Combat)--"You and a friend are in command of two completely disarmed tanks that are incapable of firing."

(Super Mario Bros)--"The Mushroom Retainers are a deceptive people. We know that the princess was killed several years ago in a border dispute. This does not prevent the Retainers from claiming that "our princess is in another castle!", but now that you know the truth, you will not be fooled into believeing that the princess is actually alive and in the castle of world 8. You know she is dead and will never appear in the game."

(Zelda)--"..and in the end, you will have to fight Ganon. A wild and wily foe, your only hope of defeating him is by hitting him with bait. A master of disguise, Ganon will conceal the damage done to him by the bait. Do not be fooled! Do not resort to magic swords or silver arrows! These will only anger Ganon, increase his life meter, and waste precious bait attacking time."
    Extra!! Extra!! Quotable quotes, part 2:

Uh huh.

And the screenshot? (choice between boomerang and wooden sword)

That scene is not in the FDS version, or any rev of Zelda I have ever come across.

What is the secret intentional Nintendo meaning behind it?

I'm still curious as to the secret meaning behind the boomerang/ sword choice screenshot in the Zelda manual. After all, if we are to believe that Nintendo has carefully orchestrated all apparent typos and inconsistencies in their manuals as part of of a larger scheme of deception, then certainly there is a fantastic explanation for that screenshot...which is from no version of the game in existence.

While the thimblefull of guys who remain confused over this issue work out a suitably convoluted explanation for the Zelda screenshot, I guess perhaps one could at least volunteer a reason as to why it would be necessary in the first place to establish Samus' gender as "male".
    Circa 1986 (or even now), do you suppose there was a single game player in the world who would assume, by default, that an action character in a spacesuit would be female?

So what would be the point of reinforcing a rock solid assumption?

Ready, GO!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by "Wavelflack
    Quoted himself, and referred to the manual for a completely different game.
    Apples. Oranges. (Or, for the benefit of this thread, Octorocks. Zebs.) An error in one manual does not automatically mean an error in another game. Besides, lkermel referred to a book sold in......

*holds for the dramatic pause*

Japan.

My sale thread