Thread: Ever gave a game to someone else in the wild?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Ever gave a game to someone else in the wild?

It *could* apply to meaning you brought in a game to trade/sell or whatever, and just decided to give away to a stranger in the store, but I am posting this more in this regard:

Ever picked out a game, which was the last copy, and someone saw you holding it and asked if they could have it?

Recently I was at a flea market and found a game I had been looking for for quite some time. I was happy to have found it. I would say it's an R5.5 :P

This lady saw me holding it and told me it was her son's 4th Birthday, and that he has "all the movies." I nodded, and then she asked me if she could please have it.

I felt somewhat bad, but I told her politely "Sorry, I've been looking for this game for a while now." She nodded a bit and added "Are you a collector?" and sort of gave me the semi-evil eye.

"No, I buy games with the intent to actually play them."

"Oh OK..."

I actually helped her pick out other games for her son he might like. Like Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose and Adventures of Yogi Bear. Apparently she was hunting for any SNES cartoon games.

In the end, she gave me one last look and attempted to pry the game away from me one more time. I felt bad again saying no, but I really wanted this game. And I got it first, so it was fair.

I was really feeling guilty until I started poking in the NES bin and she kinda snapped at me "Don't waste your time with those bad games. The graphics are really ugly."

Somehow I *suddenly* felt a lot better about keeping my game

Anyway, anyone else ever experienced this? What would you have done in my shoes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Re: Ever gave a game to someone else in the wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    I was really feeling guilty until I started poking in the NES bin and she kinda snapped at me "Don't waste your time with those bad games. The graphics are really ugly."

Somehow I *suddenly* felt a lot better about keeping my game

Anyway, anyone else ever experienced this? What would you have done in my shoes?
    UGULY? Well, i'd have either ignored that, or said to her "I like them, though" Or i would have said something like that.

But once, i was in EB and someone was trying to trade in a copy of "D" for the saturn, They don't accept saturn games, So he gave it to me. I didn't have a staurn then, But a complete copy of D, Awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was out of town a few weeks ago, went to see my sister and mom a couple hours away. We went to a thrift shop and I found some SNES games, including FF3 (US). I gave it to my sister's boyfriend to buy. He wasn't looking at the games or anything, but I knew he had a SNES. I figure I could sell it for $15-20 or whatever on eBay, but if he actually plays it, it's worth the sacrifice since I already own it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I sort of did this recently. About 3 weeks ago there was a vendor at the flea market who started carrying 25-30 NES games for $2 a piece. He had some good stuff too, like RCR and Super C. Anyway, he also had Contra. Now, I already own a copy, but it's one of those games that I like so much that I'll pick up a 2nd copy on the cheap. I didn't pick him clean, but as I was browsing, another vendor came by and took interest in the NES stock.

He came back a few minutes later, as I was paying, and said "aww, the Contra is gone, that was my favorite". Well, I didn't give him the copy I picked up, but I did point out to him that there was another copy in the rows of NES games.

Heh heh, once I'm done picking through, I'll help another person out. Of corse that other copy of Contra he bought had a few nicks in the label.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

A couple of months ago at a local shop I picked up a nice Intellivision II bundle which included a speech module, which I already had, and a bunch of common titles, most of which I also already had. I happened to be there at the same time as another DP'er who had a few Inty things but not a lot. So on the spot I gave him the speech module and some of the carts I knew I already had. The guys running the shop looked at me like I was insane, having just dropped an appreciable sum on this bundle they put together and then giving away a big part of it, but all I was really interested in was the Inty II console itself, so I figured I might as well share the wealth with someone I knew would appreciate it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In situations like that, my preferred response is to blank my expressions and let a small rivulet of drool form at the corner of my mouth. The longer the face-off continues, the farther down the drool travels on your chin.
    This is ideal.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've given a few odds and ends away for some reason or another - But I doubt I would ever give up a game I was going to buy. If I got to it first, it's tough luck for the other guy. If I knew them personally, it might be different, but in general people like that are just out to eBay the item and have no shame in making up a story to get it. x_x
    We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Ive given away a lynx system, games. a 3do system.

Ive repaired stuff fro people for free when it was a simple fix knowing I could have charged for it.

some kid who was a regular came in to buy a mod chip for his psx so he could play the import Dragon ballz game he bought from us. Him and his dad were really cool and un assholeish as most customers are and I remembered we had a stack of bootleg hong kong games in sleeves in the back "We didnt deal in any bootleg crap and didnt sell it but yknow when you buy bulk lots and warehouse overstock sometimes you have weird stuff" So I said hold up a minute... come out with these fifteen or so games "here ya go man have fun" Shoulda seen his face.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I gave a loose copy of Super Mario Kart to a friend of mine.

I was in an EB once when some kid was trying to trade in a CDX, which they obviously didn't accept. I offered him the entire contents of my wallet for it on the spot (not knowing what that was). Turns out I had $10, so I got a loose CDX and the copy of Third World War (comparatively rare) that was in it.

I've never had to battle with anyone at a flea market because I don't really go to them, for some reason we just don't have any good ones around here.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was at a pawn shop once and had a Secret oF Mana in my hands. I was talking to this other guy who seemed like a really good guy, and he asked about the game I had, he knew nothing of Secret of Mana. Based on our conversation, I figured he wasn't looking for it to flip it on Ebay for a profit like I probably would have since I already owned a copy. So I gave it to him and said buy it, you won't regret it. I figured that even though he didn't realize it at the time, that I just made the day of a fellow gamer. I considered it a random act of kindness.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

both my brother and I collect games for all sorts of different systems and him and I constantly hook each other up with good deals, he sold me a copy of Mario RPG that he picked up for $10 and since he already had it, he sold it back to me for 10 cause i hadn't had one. Not to mention all the doubles that him and i end up with that rather than going on e-bay we add to each other's vid stacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

what game did you get? I'm taking a guess that it is Tiny Toons: Wild and Wacky Sports Challenge. If it's not then you should get it, I love that game; especially with 4 players.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos