Thread: Backwards Compatiblity not a concern, so says Peter Moore.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Backwards Compatiblity not a concern, so says Peter Moore.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152178.html

Xbox chief Peter Moore says "nobody is concerned anymore about backward compatibility."

My opinion would have to be, this is Mircosoft of course, a company that always makes sure that nothing is compatible with newer software/hardware.

If it wasn't a big concern...then why did PS2 do so well? why is Wii pretty nice about GameCube games? How come the PSP will have the ability to download PS1 games soon? DS playing GBA games? I dont think it's a coincident, it's what people like these days, recycling classic games is always a sure-fire winner I'd say. Yet there's a part of me that wants to see the lastest and greatest on the market. Yet can't we have our cake and eat it too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Peter Moore can GET BENT. I love backwards compatibility. It is a good thing, darn it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am still a guy who is pissed that Windows XP does not have full DOS support. Screw you MS.

That being said, I have never owned an XBOX, so backwards compatibility is not a concern for me when I get a 360.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Backwards Compatiblity not a concern, so says Peter Moor

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    My opinion would have to be, this is Mircosoft of course, a company that always makes sure that nothing is compatible with newer software/hardware.
    Except for the fact that Microsoft more or less supported DOS up until WinXP came out and stuff... which isn't that bad considering it should have been killed off once and for all 5 years earlier.

If it wasn't a big concern...then why did PS2 do so well?
    Because it was a great alternative to an overpriced DVD player that couldn't play PS2 games.

why is Wii pretty nice about GameCube games?
    Because the Wii is a more powerful Gamecube

How come the PSP will have the ability to download PS1 games soon?
    It doesn't have the ability yet, and I'm curious as to see what games will actually be supported. Getting Ridge Racer to run is one thing, but that's a simple early generation title. Hell it's not even the upgraded version of the same game that came bundled with R4.

DS playing GBA games?
    DS doesn't play GB/GBC games, though. Backwards compatibility is overrated, afterall

Yet can't we have our cake and eat it too?
    Probably shouldn't have sold the Xbox to pay for the 360 *shrug* Backwards compatibility on the 360 was always an iffy thing anyway. The hardware is totally different and the amount of time and effort put into getting as far as they have so far is fucking staggering. Good on 'em for putting in as much support as they have; their work is easilly the most impressive emulator since UltraHLE.

I love backwards compatibility, but I don't really demand it when I'm making an upgrade. If I want to play my old games that much, I'll keep the old system to play them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    I am still a guy who is pissed that Windows XP does not have full DOS support. Screw you MS.
    If you're that bent out of shape about it, just use DOSbox. Otherwise you could always use your Win98 cd rom that you still have sitting around (you do still have it, right?) to boot into MS-DOS. Or you could download a DOS boot disc.

But you'll probably just get pissed off at your motherboard / soundcard / cpu manufacturer because suddenly their product doesn't fully support DOS and/or the game won't run at a stable speed because of silly little hacks that the programmers put in 15 years ago, rendering the game unplayable for the last decade anyway (dos or not).

Thank god for DOSbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, roushimsx I was using those as examples to how that small feature to each of those systems is always mentioned when purchasing either one..Not serious question, but more aim to "Then how do you explain these, Mircosoft?"

Other then that, everything else you have said is dead-on.