Thread: Memories (and pictures) of Nintendo Power Magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Memories (and pictures) of Nintendo Power Magazine

Ahhh, remember when this magazine was in its glory years? What a great magazine. Discuss the mag here or share your favorite memories in this topic.

In each issue they had a celebrity interview. Now we're talking some major time stars (for the time). These interviews were great fun to read. Highlights include Tim Allen, Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff and a host of others. NP pulled out the punches to land the best of the best.

They also had a GREAT comic strip in each issue. They had ongoing chapters of Zelda, Mario and Starfox to name a few... spanning 8+ pages an issue. They also had mini-comics of other games like this, always involving a mainstay character named Nester, a common guy like any of us, and the comics were always clever, always pertaining to the game at hand... check out this clever strip:

I have 37 doubles from 1990 to 1994 I am auctioning off on eBay currently... $15 shipping with current bid at 99 cents. Something for y'all to watch possibly. (go to the eBay forum on DP and look for my topic, you'll see the link there) Trust me, these mags are worth owning. Great magazine. Anyone (dis)agree?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It was a great magazine up until the N64 was actually released, only if you ask me. I loved the premiere issue. If I recall, two kids wrote in to say they could play Nintendo games with their feet. Not one, but two.

I used to greatly enjoy reading all the letters with the prepubescent kids bragging about how many games they could beat, how quickly they could do it and how many points they scored. It must have been a joy to sit next to some of these little stinkers on the bus ride home in grammar school or junior high

The Zelda comics were pretty cool and they did have a great tips section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys know there's a little flood of Scans of Nintendo Power magazine on alt.binaries.emulators.misc right. I'm pretty sure it's issues 1-29 all scanned in if ya want em.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that Nintendo Power started to really go downhill once they dumped SNES support for just the N64, because there was NOTHING to talk about. The N64 only released at most one or two noteworthy games per month, so they had to use tons of filler to make up room from where all the SNES games used to be. Got pretty dull.

Also, NP had the worst reviews ever. Never in its entire lifecycle has NP had a good review system, because they gave every game a decent to good score. I couldn't tell what was crap, because they pandered to their own bias.

But I still enjoyed the magazine for many years. Lots of pictures, stuff like that.