Thread: ps1 clarifications requested! also, FIFA rumbo 98 found

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ps1 clarifications requested! also, FIFA rumbo 98 found

i recently made up a list of PS1 games i need with variants. the DP guide leaves some things unclear, and i was hoping for some clarification on the following items.

Does battle arena toshinden 2 come in a jewel case? BAT 1 does, so it seems probable.

Were Formula 1 world grand prix 1999 and 2000 games released stating the dates on the spine or art, or do you have to look at copyright dates to know which you have? DP guide states manufacturers, and my 2000 doesn't say 'world grand prix 2000' anywhere - just 'world grand prix'.

what criteria were needed to make a game rerelease as a 'greatest hits'? were those all million sellers ot left to each publisher to decide?

Does everyones Klonoa - Door to Phantomile have a dash on the spine after "phantomile"?

jewel case version of hi octane available? for some reason i think one is, though its not stated in the guide.

any known reason why nba shootout 99 wasnt released? just curious on this one....

do all versions of sim city 200 GH have small writing under the title on the spine? this one bothered me because i am nearly positive ive seen this game with only 'sim city 2000' and not the tiny writing on the spine of the GH version.

what the hell is a 'lenticular' cover variation on Spyro: Year of the Dragon? Chromed cover or is it actually convex? (yes, i had to look the world 'lenticular' up)

has anyone verified the existence of 'banditos' in 1st released versions of Toy Story 2? if so, any way to tell from the packaging if its this version or the cut version?

did VR Pool get released?

jewel case version of v-tennis exist?

theres a version 3 of who wants to be a millionaire...not in the guide though. ??

thats all the questions...for anyone counting i found a copy of FIFA 98: Rumbo A LA Copa Mundial today. Not in great shape, but another verified copy of the game.

$3.99. Huzzah!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't help, but your info can be useful to www.playstationmuseum.com

It's got a great compile.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Default Re: ps1 clarifications requested! also, FIFA rumbo 98 found

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    i recently made up a list of PS1 games i need with variants. the DP guide leaves some things unclear, and i was hoping for some clarification on the following items.
    Dear god... here I go

Does battle arena toshinden 2 come in a jewel case? BAT 1 does, so it seems probable.
    I'd ask DB, as he's got all the B.A.T. games, though off the top of my head I do think that there is a JC version.

Were Formula 1 world grand prix 1999 and 2000 games released stating the dates on the spine or art, or do you have to look at copyright dates to know which you have? DP guide states manufacturers, and my 2000 doesn't say 'world grand prix 2000' anywhere - just 'world grand prix'.
    Excelent question. I've got one Formula 1 game, unfortuately I only have its info with me as the game is 2200 miles away. Formula 1 Psygnosis SCUS 94353

what criteria were needed to make a game rerelease as a 'greatest hits'? were those all million sellers ot left to each publisher to decide?
    It needed to be on the market for either 8 months or a year (Sony's changed their policy over time on this) and sold something like 500k. Once this has happened the publisher has the right to re-release the game at the cheaper licensing rate. Some took to it, while others didn't.

Does everyones Klonoa - Door to Phantomile have a dash on the spine after "phantomile"?
    I've got no clue. My copy is far away.

jewel case version of hi octane available? for some reason i think one is, though its not stated in the guide.
    Yes. I've got a local store thats selling one (for way too much I might add). I'll add it to the master list.

any known reason why nba shootout 99 wasnt released? just curious on this one....
    My guess is that either licensing issues came up with the NBA, or the game was so far behind in development that they sat the game for the year so that the creative team could get their bearings and have a 'better' game for the next year. It's happened on the PS2 with 989 sports stuff, and the MS sports division has done this as well.

do all versions of sim city 200 GH have small writing under the title on the spine? this one bothered me because i am nearly positive ive seen this game with only 'sim city 2000' and not the tiny writing on the spine of the GH version.
    No ider, thats not one of the two or three GH games i've got. DB would have a better answer than I since he's only missing two or three GH games.

what the hell is a 'lenticular' cover variation on Spyro: Year of the Dragon? Chromed cover or is it actually convex? (yes, i had to look the world 'lenticular' up)
    Its actually convex. Have you ever seen the Crash 2 or 3 little 3D insert card thing? Well Spyro: YotD had one as well. It came out with the very early first batch of the game. I don't have this one with me, but I've got a Crash 2 card that I can show you a pic of if needed. It's not a different manual, but a plastic card that was just slipped infront of the cover of the instruction manual to give it a 3D effect.

has anyone verified the existence of 'banditos' in 1st released versions of Toy Story 2? if so, any way to tell from the packaging if its this version or the cut version?
    From the package i'd venture a no. Unless there was a different manual that described all the bad guys in it. Otherwise its going to be only noticed by looking at the code revisions of the game.

Ummmmm

No.

theres a version 3 of who wants to be a millionaire...not in the guide though. ??
    It's not in there? I'll take a look thru the master list and if I can't find it, i'll add it into the list.

thats all the questions...for anyone counting i found a copy of FIFA 98: Rumbo A LA Copa Mundial today. Not in great shape, but another verified copy of the game.
    That makes copy #2 mentioned on DP. The only copy i've ever seen was the one found by DB.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, it does.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

While I'm not Dangerboy or PapaStu, I can answer a few questions for you.

Yes. I don't have one myself, but there is one on ebay currently.

Sales criteria was 1,000,000 originally, then dropped to 500,000, and then handled on a case-by-case system. I'm not certain how actual enrollment into the program was decided, perhaps someone else can shed more light on that.

Yes. If you look at the cover or disc art, you'll notice that it's there too. Apparently, it's part of the title, separating the subtitle completely with hyphens. I didn't notice it until just now after reading your post.

Klonoa -Door To Phantomile-

Yes. I have one sitting here in front of me.

Spyro (2): Ripto's Rage has the 'chromed cover', which is actually gold foil. The flat lenticuar art for Year of the Dragon is of the game's cover. If you tilt it from left to right, the characters in the background move slightly. It is just an insert over the booklet.

Yes, but as Virtual Pool. Both published by Interplay. I guess there wasn't a 'brand' established for their VR line, so it didn't fall under it like Golf and Baseball. Here's a link to one one ebay.

EDIT: Blasted Stu beat me to it!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks guys! appreciate the help!

only 900 or so ps1 games(with variants) to go!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

What the hell?

Is that Fifa 98 release for all of America, or just for Latin America? I'm surprised a PS1 title got released in a language that isn't English, at least in this side of the pond...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it has an SLUS number thats the same as the US version, but after the SLUS number is the letter "S"(apparently denoting it as a spanish language game?).

i dont think theres much known about the game at this time. hopefully dangerboy will chime in on what he knows, but i think ive just covered it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

/me peeks in

I think I need to start leaving a calling card. Always call the real expert.

Okay, let's see if I can add to or tackle anything missed.

Released in Plastic Ridged Long Box and regular jewel case.

Game Rave Page
    here

Were Formula 1 world grand prix 1999 and 2000 games released ...
    The spines are both date-less. The 1999 version has the "1999 Season" on the bottom of the cover. However, both CDs have no dates on them, so all you need to remember is the 1999 CD is black, and the 2000 CD is red.

what criteria were needed to make a game rerelease as a 'greatest hits'? were...
    Taken care of, but some other notes...
    There are three versions of Greatest Hits:
    a. Non GH SLUS (same as black label SLUS)
    b. GH SLUS (as in SLUS - 12345 GH)
    c. GHA (Konami only, re-re-releases available at Blockbuster, sometimes Game Stop).

It's actually not a lonely dash, it's supposed to be there. If you look at the cover, the sub-title is encompassed by the two dashes. The artist simply copy-and-pasted the whole line of text to the spine without editing it. An artistic license becomes a curious "typo".

Yes, see Game Rave page here

The NBA player strike situation that year caused Sony to pass, but EA pushed through. Sony's development cycle would have had the final signings right when the strike situation kicked in; the rosters would have been disasterous.

do all versions of sim city 200 GH...
    As far as I know, yes. The small print is the subtitle under the logo on the cover. Similar situation to the Klonoa; different artist got to the GH version.

Currently researching that. I have the EGM article about it with a confirmed shot of the guilty hombre (sorry, couldn't resist). I just need to sit down and check the CE edition...not sure about black release versions.

Taken care of...

Nope. And if there is, I haven't seen it.

It actually is...it's mispelled "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? 2rd Edition "

for anyone counting i found a copy of FIFA 98: Rumbo A LA Copa Mundial
    There's three known copies. Yours, mine, and Jason Wilson's. You can find info on it, in the original variant page at Game-Rave here

The game is a US release; EA was simply trying a different angle with the bi-lingual aspect. It fizzled, and it's the only game to have two seperate physical releases.

Any questions?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks DB, Papastu and Oobgarm!

always a pleasure!