Thread: A new SHMUP for the Sega Saturn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A new SHMUP for the Sega Saturn?

Anyone seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn75JG2KVhY

It was supposedly made with the Sega Saturn BASIC program (proper name GAME BASIC for SEGA SATURN) which lets you make your own Saturn games on your pc and then play them on your Saturn (via some sort of cable... I do not think you can burn your game to CD and then play it on a Saturn. Maybe a chipped Saturn? I have no idea.)

I have the Saturn BASIC program at home (it comes in a cardboard box about the size of an American Saturn/Sega CD case and is about twice as thick) but I've never been able to do anything with it. It's all in Japanese and completely incomprehensible to me. There's a copy on EBay now, completely overpriced...

http://tinyurl.com/l4g5w

My question: I've heard that there were several demo games included on the Basic program disk (the Saturn will run the disk but all the text is Japanese) and I've also heard that one of the demo games is called Lightning Force, the same name as the game pictured above. Does anyone know if this game is on the BASIC disk that was included in the original package or if it was actually programmed separately for the Saturn using the BASIC creator program? If it's included, how do the access it?

Anyone?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the command you need to type:

LOAD "CD:LAUNCH.B",R

I'm working on an F.A.Q.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c2000
    Here's the command you need to type:

LOAD "CD:LAUNCH.B",R

I'm working on an F.A.Q.
    Hey, thanks! So it IS on the disk! I'll give it a shot!

Please let us (me?) know when you've got the FAQ done. I am really looking forward to it!

Are there any other games on the disk besides this one?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's just the general command to display the contents of the disc. From there you can start all the demos that come with it.

There's loads of programs on it, including a full blown 3D engine and a drawing program.

The FAQ is progressing really slow because there's so much stuff I'm doing at the moment. (websites to keep updated, other projects, school etc). Im intending to upload the first version of it sometime this summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's just the general command to display the contents of the disc. From there you can start all the demos that come with it.

There's loads of programs on it, including a full blown 3D engine and a drawing program.

The FAQ is progressing really slow because there's so much stuff I'm doing at the moment. (websites to keep updated, other projects, school etc). Im intending to upload the first version of it sometime this summer.
    Dumb question... do I type that in on the Saturn or on the PC? I haven't messed with Saturn Basic for so long I have no idea what's what. I hardly remember anything (other than being frustrated because I couldn't play the demos that were supoosedly on the disk.)

Many thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dumb question... do I type that in on the Saturn or on the PC? I haven't messed with Saturn Basic for so long I have no idea what's what. I hardly remember anything (other than being frustrated because I couldn't play the demos that were supoosedly on the disk.)

Many thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dumb question... do I type that in on the Saturn or on the PC? I haven't messed with Saturn Basic for so long I have no idea what's what. I hardly remember anything (other than being frustrated because I couldn't play the demos that were supposedly on the disk.)

Many thanks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The logo screen says: For Tech Saturn Original Version. Most likely, it was published in Tech Saturn magazine. I have a few of their demos lying around. I'll have to see if it's on there.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The logo screen says: For Tech Saturn Original Version. Most likely, it was published in Tech Saturn magazine. I have a few of their demos lying around. I'll have to see if it's on there.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Ah yes. That's right. There's a couple of these demos. I've seen them before on an Tech Saturn disc.

So that game is not on the actual Game Basic disc. But like said there's plenty of other stuff.

The command I gave you is for the Saturn disc. You can type it using the screen keyboard or connect a keyboard (I'm using a regular keyboard with the netlink adapter).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I downloaded this from segaxtreme, its freeware or something (the demo)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They could have 'listed' it in old fashion magazine style