Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do once you've lost the desire to collect?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What do you do once you've lost the desire to collect?

well? I'm in this stage right now...i've got about 200 NES games, but no desire to collect...

Cherry (Level 1) atari_overlord's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

play them
    If you want more buy them. If you dont........ dont.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that a topic like this one has been posted a while back, but my advice is to either take a break from collecting or start concentrating on something new, possibly set a new goal for a different console that has a much smaller library so that you can accomplish that goal in a shorter time period. I went from collecting NES games to collecting NES accessories, and now I just go back and forth
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take all your games, box them up nicely, and send them to me. I'll give them a nice home, I swear.

Seriously, though, I guess you pack all your stuff up and put it in a closet and give it to your grandkids one day or something. We all get older. We all change. What was once fun and important can seem trivial as we age. If you're truly tired of collecting then move on to something that interests you. Take the money you spent on gaming and start an IRA.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sit on what you currently have and give it a little time. People are always saying they lose the desire to collect, but they come back to it sooner or later. I haven't come across anyone who got out of it altogether and never started collecting (or gaming) again.

No point selling off what you have and regretting it later.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atari_overlord
    play them
    If you want more buy them. If you dont........ dont.
    So good, and so simple, and so true, that it bears repeating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed that you haven't been posting as much lately (after looking, aside from starting this topic, your last post was 2 months ago). I don't know about you or anybody else, but reading posts on DP really gets me into collecting. Maybe I'm just a freak, but the community get me excited about what I'm doing.
    So, what I would say is: try posting some more and getting back into DP, that might help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed that you haven't been posting as much lately (after looking, aside from starting this topic, your last post was 2 months ago). I don't know about you or anybody else, but reading posts on DP really gets me into collecting. Maybe I'm just a freak, but the community get me excited about what I'm doing.
    So, what I would say is: try posting some more and getting back into DP, that might help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yup, the best two pieces of advice were already stated:

1. play them

or if you're really "tired or out" of the whole thing:

2. don't sell them, box them up put them away focus on other things in life... come back when you're ready... if you don't come back in say... 3 years.... sell it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yup, the best two pieces of advice were already stated:

1. play them

or if you're really "tired or out" of the whole thing:

2. don't sell them, box them up put them away focus on other things in life... come back when you're ready... if you don't come back in say... 3 years.... sell it.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Re: What do you do once you've lost the desire to collect?

Quote Originally Posted by dieourumov
    What do you do once you've lost the desire to collect?

..........well? I'm in this stage right now...i've got about 200 NES games, but no desire to collect...
    I'd say get into something else/take a break.

I have lost the desire to collect..Mainly because I'm into other things..Pocketbike-MinimotoGP Racing and RC cars..

But: when I see my Son playing a vintage system-games... collecting comes right back to me..
    If not for me for him...

Also: After I visit Joe's(Digital Press) Store I come home with a desire to collect games again...He's got some really cool stuff in his store..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Re: What do you do once you've lost the desire to collect?

Quote Originally Posted by dieourumov
    What do you do once you've lost the desire to collect?

..........well? I'm in this stage right now...i've got about 200 NES games, but no desire to collect...
    I'd say get into something else/take a break.

I have lost the desire to collect..Mainly because I'm into other things..Pocketbike-MinimotoGP Racing and RC cars..

But: when I see my Son playing a vintage system-games... collecting comes right back to me..
    If not for me for him...

Also: After I visit Joe's(Digital Press) Store I come home with a desire to collect games again...He's got some really cool stuff in his store..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

General Error

Error in deleting post

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'dpforum_search_wordmatch.MYD'. (errno: 145)

DELETE FROM dpforum_search_wordmatch WHERE post_id IN (1002914)

Line : 419
    File : functions_search.php

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it depends on how old you are.

My opinion; box them all up and store them in the attic or in the basement, somewhere's out of the way but safe. Some day, perhaps when you have kids, perhaps sooner you'll get the itch to play them again.

Having kids btw (or nephews or neices) is a sure fire way of getting back into gaming. It starts with you setting up a console for the kids to play with and it ends with them screaming for you to let them play too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, from a different angle, I'm reaching this point as well. Although I don't have the massive library others might I don't mind spending the $1 per game at the pawn shop, or maybe a bit more for desirable titles, but I've come to a new conclusion.

Most of my games get played from time to time, but I never seem to go ALL the way through and beat it 100%. So my current plans are to go back and defeat the games that have bugged me to complete and if it's not desired to be played again then I'll sell it back someplace. Otherwise, if it is something special and I enjoyed it a lot it'll find it's way in a new stack of games to stay forever, and ever, and ever (Or if somehow I go broke and need money badly). I'll be cutting back my venturing to once every 2wks (When I get paid) and buy only what I want or need to collect. Also adding the DS lite to my collection should be real nice because I've already decided to buy 1 new DS title each pay period.

This may or may not help you, or it may give you other ideas to collect or hang onto things but at the end, decide what you feel is best. Just remember that if you sell something off, if you want it again recall how difficult it may have been to find and get that game or system and if it's worth it to let it all go.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, from a different angle, I'm reaching this point as well. Although I don't have the massive library others might I don't mind spending the $1 per game at the pawn shop, or maybe a bit more for desirable titles, but I've come to a new conclusion.

Most of my games get played from time to time, but I never seem to go ALL the way through and beat it 100%. So my current plans are to go back and defeat the games that have bugged me to complete and if it's not desired to be played again then I'll sell it back someplace. Otherwise, if it is something special and I enjoyed it a lot it'll find it's way in a new stack of games to stay forever, and ever, and ever (Or if somehow I go broke and need money badly). I'll be cutting back my venturing to once every 2wks (When I get paid) and buy only what I want or need to collect. Also adding the DS lite to my collection should be real nice because I've already decided to buy 1 new DS title each pay period.

This may or may not help you, or it may give you other ideas to collect or hang onto things but at the end, decide what you feel is best. Just remember that if you sell something off, if you want it again recall how difficult it may have been to find and get that game or system and if it's worth it to let it all go.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll
    General Error

Error in deleting post

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'dpforum_search_wordmatch.MYD'. (errno: 145)

DELETE FROM dpforum_search_wordmatch WHERE post_id IN (1002914)

Line : 419
    File : functions_search.php
    That's the coolest post I've ever seen.
    I always knew Videogamerdaryll was secretly a robot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    Most of my games get played from time to time, but I never seem to go ALL the way through and beat it 100%. So my current plans are to go back and defeat the games that have bugged me to complete and if it's not desired to be played again then I'll sell it back someplace.
    well said my friend. Yeah I have made it a conscious effort in 2006 to start beating my games, not just playing them or "testing" them to make sure it works. Hell, I've already beaten SWAT Kats, an off-beat obscure SNES platformer I had no intentions of beating but stuck with it.

At one point in our lives, unless we're strictly collectors... you kinda look at yourself and say "why do I have it."

Beat it, and keep it. Or beat it, or try to, and sell it.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand your feelings. I'm considering taking a break from collecting myself, not selling anything other than a few extra consoles.

I still really enjoy going hunting, but not as much as I once did. One reason is probably me tries of not finding a single thing, not having much money, and some other things.

I don't know for sure yet if I will start a break or not, but it could very well happen shortly for me too.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand your feelings. I'm considering taking a break from collecting myself, not selling anything other than a few extra consoles.

I still really enjoy going hunting, but not as much as I once did. One reason is probably me tries of not finding a single thing, not having much money, and some other things.

I don't know for sure yet if I will start a break or not, but it could very well happen shortly for me too.