Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do once you've lost the desire to collect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, collecting was linked to my high school years. When I hit college, other things became more important (women, music, etc), and I just did not have time, money and interest to collect games. After a year or so of lack of interest, I decided to start selling the things that I owned for "collectors " purposes only. Keep the games that you had as a child, keep the games that you enjoyed playing. Sell the games that you had bought just for "collectors sake" only...for these you will not miss. The others you would regret selling.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collecting is a tough thing to do. The most important things for it are the energy and will to. Financial also plays a part but anyone that is well off financially can get games.

With energy and will you need to go to the pawn shops, goodwills, yard sales, flea market and search and fight and claw to win auctions on ebay. You also gotta expect some set backs as well. You gotta learn to get good deals too if you can't afford to spend too much $$$$

For me 2 different occasions I tried collecting NES games, 1 time I had 125 with lots of accessories but I went litterally through a 3 month spell where I could not find games where I lived and I could not win an auction for the life of me on ebay.

Another time I had 120 games and no accesories but the games were more rare then the ones I had before. I just sold them because for me collecting is pointless. I just keep the games I play. I couldn't see going out and collecting when most of my things would sit there with no use.

I'd give it a few weeks to think about it then make a decision.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyfried
    Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll
    General Error

Error in deleting post

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'dpforum_search_wordmatch.MYD'. (errno: 145)

DELETE FROM dpforum_search_wordmatch WHERE post_id IN (1002914)

Line : 419
    File : functions_search.php
    That's the coolest post I've ever seen.
    I always knew Videogamerdaryll was secretly a robot

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in your spot right now. I've almost completely lost interest in collecting. The only time I go out to check classic games is if I'm getting rid of a bunch of stuff. I've done maybe 1 or 2 long thrift runs in the past 2 months and each time it's just felt like a big waste of time. Personally, I'm just playing more games and really enjoying what I have and I'm really getting into practicing guitar again. It's nice not to be burning so much money as well on a ton of old cartridge based games. I'm sure I'll get back into it within time.

Just take a break, and enjoy something else.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over the past two years, I've slowly unloaded most of my consoles/games that I rarely used, if at all. The only major exception has been my Genesis collection - favorite console ever. Well, last weekend, after having not played any Genesis games for months, I dragged out the bins containing my 500+ unique titles and hooked up the system. Then, I stared at the bins. This was at 1PM in the afternoon.

By 11PM that night, I had played Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Rocket Knight, and... well, that was about it. Not a single other game of that 500+ appealed to me at all. Sure, I saw some favorites in there (NHL 95, Arrow Flash, etc), but overall, I saw rows and rows of games that I just don't care about.

Sure, I'll probably keep them. Loose Genesis games don't take up a ton of space. Still, it's kind of amusing that, after having collected a large percentage of the Genesis library, the only games that I felt the urge to play were the handful that brought me to buying a Genesis in the first place long ago.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    Over the past two years, I've slowly unloaded most of my consoles/games that I rarely used, if at all. The only major exception has been my Genesis collection - favorite console ever. Well, last weekend, after having not played any Genesis games for months, I dragged out the bins containing my 500+ unique titles and hooked up the system. Then, I stared at the bins. This was at 1PM in the afternoon.

By 11PM that night, I had played Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Rocket Knight, and... well, that was about it. Not a single other game of that 500+ appealed to me at all. Sure, I saw some favorites in there (NHL 95, Arrow Flash, etc), but overall, I saw rows and rows of games that I just don't care about.

Sure, I'll probably keep them. Loose Genesis games don't take up a ton of space. Still, it's kind of amusing that, after having collected a large percentage of the Genesis library, the only games that I felt the urge to play were the handful that brought me to buying a Genesis in the first place long ago.
    good story. yeah, goes to show you when we're caught up buying all these games, for whatever our motives may be... in the end, it likely comes down to a select few titles you come back to. The rest, you bought coz it was cheap and you 'had to have for some later time.'

Right now I know I'm swept up in finishing my SNES/GEN/NES libraries... but much like the Saturn which I loved from 2001-2005... I'm sure in 2009, whenever it might be, I'll feel the same way about SNES/NES/GEN -- you just can't have the same passion for games forever.

just my 2 cents.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post City.

I say if your intention was to simply collect, then sell the lot, otherwise wait a few days and you'll probably get the impulse again..

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post City.

I say if your intention was to simply collect, then sell the lot, otherwise wait a few days and you'll probably get the impulse again..

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post City.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double post City.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

If your one that has the tendencies to get out of something, only to come right back into in a year or two's time i'd do whats been said above. Either box it all up and put it away for a while, or whittle it down to the stuff that you truly enjoy and let the rest of the filler go. What are you going to do with a bunch of sports or total crap titles that don't interest you in the slightest?

Since I moved and had to leave a good chunk of my games behind I've actually spent alot more time playing the massive amount of stuff that i've aquired and have enjoyed it immensly. Actually playing through the game (which had become a rarity) but really completing it has been a very nice thing. Not to mention that due to my very limited space here, new aquisitions are not bought of habbit (like they used to be) but are gotten because of a real desire to...*gasp* play them. My move has kept me in the game, and though I do feel left behind when collecting at times (due to 'missing' so much, and that I can't buy when everything comes out) I'm really glad, because I think it would have burned me out like I did back in mid 04 and I almost stopped for good then... but I knew that liquidating my collection would also never net me even half of what I put into it (damn all those modern games).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

If your one that has the tendencies to get out of something, only to come right back into in a year or two's time i'd do whats been said above. Either box it all up and put it away for a while, or whittle it down to the stuff that you truly enjoy and let the rest of the filler go. What are you going to do with a bunch of sports or total crap titles that don't interest you in the slightest?

Since I moved and had to leave a good chunk of my games behind I've actually spent alot more time playing the massive amount of stuff that i've aquired and have enjoyed it immensly. Actually playing through the game (which had become a rarity) but really completing it has been a very nice thing. Not to mention that due to my very limited space here, new aquisitions are not bought of habbit (like they used to be) but are gotten because of a real desire to...*gasp* play them. My move has kept me in the game, and though I do feel left behind when collecting at times (due to 'missing' so much, and that I can't buy when everything comes out) I'm really glad, because I think it would have burned me out like I did back in mid 04 and I almost stopped for good then... but I knew that liquidating my collection would also never net me even half of what I put into it (damn all those modern games).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog