Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn Import: Mod vs. Cart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Saturn Import: Mod vs. Cart

I was currious as to what is the better route to go when using imports on a Saturn. Is it best to just buy an regionless cartridge to allow interchanging between regions or just modifying it with a switch? I've looked at import carts and see them go for high prices which makes me somewhat lean towards doing a mod instead. Any ideas on which way is best and if one is more garanteed over the other to be compatible?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're gonna be wanting to play games that come with their own RAM carts such as King of Fighter '95, then you're gonna want to get a switch put in your Saturn, otherwise you won't be able to play those games. Also, I've noticed some games freeze up or save incorrectly when using some cartridges.

I'd say go with the mod.

-GoTaS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like the action replay cart, it serves as a RAM cart as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Yes, just put the switch in, it makes things so much easier. When hardmods are simple such as the Saturn one (Genesis / Mega Drive as well) it's better to stay away from converters. Now I have a Action Replay Plus 4M Auto cartridge, but I use it for RAM expansion and memory backup really. Also the KoF '95 cartridge is a ROM cartridge, not a RAM cart, it contains the character sprites for the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

either do the mod or buy an import Saturn.

the mod is reasonably easy to perform, doesn't have any ill effects on compatibility, and is cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Region mod or mod chip? Personally, I went with the mod chip. It's one of the easiest mod chips to install - plug it into the CDROM's ribbon cable, plug into motherboard, solder 1 wire onto a chip leg, and optionally solder the next wire onto a power connector. Easy stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But a Saturn Mod-chip has nothing to do with playing imports, it'll just let you boot CD-Rs?!?!

Anyway, I'd suggest getting that soldering iron out. A hard-mod is always the way to go if possible. Especially as 3rd party Mem Carts/Import Carts can be dodgy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second this. A hard-mod is the way to go. Add a chip while you're at it to sample some great games that may be out of your price range. Just make sure that you take your time, gve yourself lots of space, have a hot glue gun handy to freeze solder points and use a 15 watt iron. The jumpers are pretty small and grouped together, and you don't want to burn the PCB. A lighted magniying lens on a swivel, though not a necessity, is a nice helper for this and all mods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking like adding a switch would be best. Does it just open up JP or is it possible to open all regions?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gor for the hard wired switch over the carts because with time your cartridge slot is gonna get loose. The slots are made of cheap tin and easily wear out so I definately recommend the hard wired from experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sya get a second system, since they are pretty cheap. But I only play JP games on my JP system (don't have any games from other regions).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

All information you need is here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    But a Saturn Mod-chip has nothing to do with playing imports, it'll just let you boot CD-Rs?!?!

Anyway, I'd suggest getting that soldering iron out. A hard-mod is always the way to go if possible. Especially as 3rd party Mem Carts/Import Carts can be dodgy.
    You are correct. I have a hard-chip modded domestic model 2. I STILL can't play import games on it (Cd-Rs OR originals) without my ST-Key; but I have a white Japanese Saturn anyway for that.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Another way to do it (if you have a mod chip already) is to rip your original Japanese game CD and run the 'satconvert' utility on it to change it into a US image, reburn to a new CDR, and boot it right up.

That's what I did- I didn't even know there was a switch to install until this thread. I figured they had a different BIOS and accomplished region lock that way.

Pete
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    All information you need is here.
    Thanks David, figured you'd be the one with the best link on "How to do" and all.

I have another question though, is there a particular memory cartridge that is best of all others? I know a few games require certain carts (For sprites and such) but what ones can be best trusted and provide the most memory?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey

You are correct. I have a hard-chip modded domestic model 2. I STILL can't play import games on it (Cd-Rs OR originals) without my ST-Key; but I have a white Japanese Saturn anyway for that.
    Doh! You guys are right - I have a 4 in 1 Action Replay cart for imports. My bad...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a white Japanese Saturn with a region switch, modchip and RAM cartridge. Will play anything you can throw at it, originals and backups from any region (I think there is 8 region flags that can be set, plus it plays all the games that require the extra RAM!

With a custom built RGB cable connecting it to my Commodore 1084, this system is just amazing! The RGB blows my mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage
    Another way to do it (if you have a mod chip already) is to rip your original Japanese game CD and run the 'satconvert' utility on it to change it into a US image, reburn to a new CDR, and boot it right up.
    What a pile of bother in exchange for a little DPDT switch.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    I have another question though, is there a particular memory cartridge that is best of all others? I know a few games require certain carts (For sprites and such) but what ones can be best trusted and provide the most memory?
    If you're looking for everything in one cartridge, the Action Replay Plus 4M Auto is the cart to use. It will do 4M / 1M RAM expansion as well as work as a backup cartridge for save management. Gives you 8000+ blocks of save space compared to the 510 the Saturn holds internally. There's a review of it at my site (see www button) under "Peripherals" at David's Video Game Insanity.

There are some other carts out there that have crazy amounts of memory but don't work as RAM cartridges and I personally don't know of their reliability. I actually forgot to bid / win the auction for that perticular cartridge. Of course once you hardmod you may want to buy a SegaSaturn 4M cartridge (they're not as expensive on eBay as many have been claiming here, I see them dirt cheap with a game every few weeks) and a Memory cartridge such as that one and use them when needed. The advantage of some of those memory cartridges is that data can be saved / loaded directly to them. With the Action Replay Plus 4M Auto you have to shunt data back and forth using the Action Replay menu system - as the Saturn can't directly read to it. Sounds like a small problem but it can become a bitch backing things up every two weeks and transferring what you need before each play session. My AR cartridge was only $8 shipped though, poorly listed eBay auction.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    If you're looking for everything in one cartridge, the Action Replay Plus 4M Auto is the cart to use.
    Here's a really obscure question for you....

I bought my 4-in-1 back whenever they first came out, when the only game that required the 4mb RAM cart was XvSF. Soon after that Vampire Savior came out, and apparently the original run of carts EMS put out was incompatible with VS. You either had the option of buying an updated cart or modding your existing cart (wish I had saved those instructions!).

Soon after that several more 4mb games came out and I never heard any retailers mention the incompatibility issue. I'm assuming only the initial run of adapters had this problem, and whatever revision they did to them following Vampire Savior made them compatible will all 4mb games.

Is this true? Will the 4-in-1 adapters sold new today work on all 4mb games? Did they ever fix the glitch with SNK's 1mb games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you really want to throw a monkey wrench in the whole ram cart thing, there are a *few* 16 meg prototype carts floating around out there. Last i heard, someone was trying to duplicate one, but that was a long time ago, don't know whatever came of it.