Thread: What's the best way to collect Nintendo 64 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the best way to collect Nintendo 64 games?

I started playing video games since I was very little, but I just started collecting two years ago. I collect:

Consoles
    RPGs on all systems
    US Dreamcast games
    Pal Dreamcast games
    Jap Dreamcast games

However, I am now running into a little problem that I need advice for. I want to start collecting for the Nintendo 64. But I don't know how to go about it.

Should I collect complete sets of US or Jap games? I am interested in Jap games more because of the nicer boxart and usually they are more complete (I am a sick completist). Also there are fewer Jap games released.

If I were to collect US games, should they be complete? I can't decide.

Where can I get the games besides on Ebay?

Can you give me some advice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I can't give you alot of advice, but I will tell you my opinion(this coming from a long time N64 fan and collector).

-Luckily, 80% of the US games are still cheap and highly common. Most GameStop/EBGames stores still have plenty of N64 carts in stock(but you should hurry and load up, as I heard they are clearing out there stock). Unless you are a perfectionist(sp?) I wouldn't go for getting complete games only. As it will make your quest much MUCH harder, and your collection will progress very slowly. If you mainly want the games just to have fun, I would say go for cart only. But if you are serious, and have the time and dedication. Try for a complete collection(since N64 game boxes are cheap cardboard, and they are only going to get harder to find over time).

-Import games, For the most part you are going to have to use online resources for these gems. I know you would prefer to skip Ebay, but it will help you out alot for the imports. Also if you live in a big city, most stores that have import gaming items, will have some N64 stuff, and from my findings you can still get alot of the Japanese games. Fairly cheap.

Not sure if I was much help, but I hope you got a little bit of advice from my post.

Good Luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was very helpful especially your advice about complete vs. cart only.

Is there anyone out there who actually collect complete nintendo 64 games? I wonder...

I live in Hong Kong and go to college in the States. I am spending my summer in Hong Kong so I am planning to fly over to Japan in August to hunt for factory sealed dreamcast games and nintendo 64 games. I am trying to build a collection of sealed dreamcast games released in the US, Europe and Japan.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pooch

Is there anyone out there who actually collect complete nintendo 64 games? I wonder...
    I'm not a big N64 collector but I absolutely go for complete games for that system. The carts don't have labels on the top so they look pretty darn uncool piled up on the shelf, not to mention that when I get that "I'd like to play Excitebike" feeling, I have to dig through the carts to find the darn thing.

"Jim Rivers"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice

I'm not a big N64 collector but I absolutely go for complete games for that system. The carts don't have labels on the top so they look pretty darn uncool piled up on the shelf, not to mention that when I get that "I'd like to play Excitebike" feeling, I have to dig through the carts to find the darn thing.

"Jim Rivers"
    The whole cart thing you speak of it completely true. A friend comes over and i spend about 20 minutes just to find the 5 games we always play. As for collecting cart only, that is what i've been doing for now. A few years back we had a town wide yard sale and I brought home about 20 games for like 20-30 bucks, this is what got me started. You can't do it anymore, but I managed to get about 100 games through the EB website. They used to be fairly cheap 2-4 bucks a piece, and no matter how much you bought, you still only payed like 2-3 bucks shipping. On top of that, you could use up to 25% off. Getting n64 games for just carts used to be great through EB, and if you got one in bad condition, such as missing the label, I would just return it to the local EB and order it again. Gamestop ruined this nice deal though when they partnered.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Are there really fewer N64 games in Japan than in the US? To the best of my knowledge, most games that came out here also came out there (Conker is probably the most notable exception), and there are plenty of games that are Japan-only too. I imagine it would add up to an even bigger library than the US library.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Collecting complete games is nothing more than a matter of what you can afford and how long do you want to take to complet your collection (are you obsessive?). Personally I found enough of them cheap (cart only) that I wen and bought them. I upgrade to the boxed version as opportunity arises and can resell the extra copy.

You can get most of them boxed easily enough for the right $$$ though some will have you hunting for awhile...

I would also try half.com, and maybe amazon...

Label machines (P-touch) work great for labeling carts on top and the labels peel off easily enough.

Now a complete Draemcast collection (unopened) seems like an impossibilty to me since there are simply no Dreamcast games to be found in any condition around me.

I have a complete US collection and would also be curious to know how many JAP or EUR game were released, espeacially exclusives...

I seek Sin and Punishment at the moment.

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm building up my collection again as well, and I'm going to try my hardest to get complete games only. I love the way the boxes look, and no matter how many times I've played a game, I'll read through the manual and find a nice little useful trick I've never run across before. It happens to me often.

What makes collecting complete games a bit easier, in my opinion, is not going after every single game released for the system. Get the best of the best first; the ones you enjoy the most, and go from there. Just my $0.02.

My first PC games and favorite game of all-time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm gonna have to disagree with Kid Ice on this one, N64 boxes are fragile so I wouldn't use those to sort out my N64 games. For playing, loose carts + a cartridge drawer is a good way to go.

That said, complete games are the way to go, and they won't get any cheaper than they are now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Our local Blockbuster(s?), I just discovered, is(are?) having a sale(s?) of a ton of complete games for N64, PS2, and XBOX.

I only picked up three today, but I'm going in for more!

I don't know if it's overpaying or anything, but they are $5 each. Today I got Gex64, Snowboard Kids, and Rugrats Scavenger Hunt. When I go back I'll get Pilot Wings, Tonic Trouble, and maybe something else. I was kind of upset they had nothing from Rare. What I would do to get my hands on the following...:

Yoshi's Story
    Banjo K
    Banjo 2ie
    Perfect Dark
    Lego Racers

Wat I should focus on first, though, is getting the colored systems... and boxed controllers will be a nightmare to find.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    I'm gonna have to disagree with Kid Ice on this one, N64 boxes are fragile so I wouldn't use those to sort out my N64 games. For playing, loose carts + a cartridge drawer is a good way to go.
    I have an N64 cartridge drawer that holds about 20 games. The problem is, when I open the drawer, I'm staring at a bunch of grey. In order to find the game I'm looking for, I have to pull out each one at a time to see the label, until I get lucky.

I don't think the boxes are high quality, and they're HTF compared to loose games, but they sure make it easier to find what you're looking for.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Re: What's the best way to collect Nintendo 64 games?

I collect:

RPGs on all systems...

I want to start collecting for the Nintendo 64. But I don't know how to go about it.
    There's your answer start small. Buy up the RPGs for the system first, there aren't many but if you can read Japanese you'll have a few more available to you.

I'd also recommend going the complete route, it's still fairly cheap to do and the longer you wait the more expensive and harder it'll become.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Loose carts and a label maker for me

But if you like complete games, get 'em now. Because the last few boxes will get destroyed soon enough
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I go for the carts only, if I see a complete game with a box I pick it up also. But like it was mentioned before, trying to find the box, insruction manual and cartridge is very hard to find. You could find complete boxed games on ebay sometimes. I still have all of my original boxes and instructions for my N64 games.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I collected for the N64.

I would only accept MINT "super-completes". The game HAD to have not only the cart, box and instructions in mint condition....but also had to have the "warning" and appropriate Nintendo Power blow-in cards as well.

It got too hard to do that....since the N64 was destined as a "kiddie system" and that stuff got thrown away by the consumer upon unsealing a game. So I "settled" for normal completes....cart, box and instructions. But after a time, even THAT got too hard and the growth of my collection was slowing to a crawl. It was also getting far too expensive. Paying premium prices for mint commons like sports titles. I was faced with the idea of adding loose carts....which are rarely in great condition.

In the end, much to the shock of my gaming friends, I scrapped the collection, only keeping any big titles (Rare platformers etc) that I would enjoy playing and the "uber-rares". I no longer collect for the N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've decided to go on a Nintendo mission, as I don't even have one set-up.

I'm gonna use those Media Shelving boxes and just make my own inserts for Super Famicom and N64 games.

If the game comes with a box for a reasonable price, bonus. But I'm not gonna pay over the odds. There's enough artwork/box scans online to make up decent inserts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what I plan with my N64 collection, just getting the media shelving boxes and, dang now I have to find the link again, printing off the labels from a website all about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's almost like a soap opera where you think that everyone cares about how Kevin's adventures on eBayland goes from day to day.

There's a place for semi-regular posts like your's Kevin, it's called a diary or a blog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all your advice. It's been really helpful.

I found this link. I think it's a complete list of Nintendo 64 games released in Japan. I cannot read Japanese so I don't exactly know it means but it seems to say that there are only 200 games released...

http://www.geocities.jp/mojory/64list.html

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie
    That's what I plan with my N64 collection, just getting the media shelving boxes and, dang now I have to find the link again, printing off the labels from a website all about it.
    This link?

http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchan...egory_Code=VHS

Later,
    Trebuken

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm....

Thanks for all your advice. It's been really helpful.

I found this link. I think it's a complete list of Nintendo 64 games released in Japan. I cannot read Japanese so I don't exactly know it means but it seems to say that there are only 200 games released...

http://www.geocities.jp/mojory/64list.html
    Looks like many of them aren't exclusive either.

Later,
    Trebuken