Thread: arcade perfect Daytona on any system? Model 2 Emulation?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default arcade perfect Daytona on any system? Model 2 Emulation?

Has an arcade perfect version of Daytona ever been ported to a console? What about the original Virtua Fighter? Or Sega Rally Championship? I'm talking about absolutely perfect emulation, where the only difference is the controller and screen you are using.

I thought the Dreamcast had some attepts to emulate Model 2, or maybe not? PS2?

Will there ever be a Model 2 emulator for PC's?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Dreamcast seems as good or better, but I've never compared them side-by-side.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, go for the DC version and a decent wheel. It's about as close as you're gonna get to the arcade (minus the 8player).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    Yeah, go for the DC version and a decent wheel. It's about as close as you're gonna get to the arcade (minus the 8player).
    Yeah, visually the graphics surpass that of the arcade original. They're different, but far richer than the Model 2 arcade visuals - although the arcade styling is still my favorite of any Daytona USA release. Remember, Daytona USA was a Model 2 game - Daytona USA 2 and Sega Super GT / SCUD Race were Model 3 games.

For emulation, if I remember correctly Nebula was a decent Model 2 emulator - don't know if the advanced Model 2 stuff has made it's way into MAME yet. Games of that spec didn't run on my computer back when I was checking them out so I can't be certain.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I swore that I tried the Dreamcast version of Daytona and found it to be very different from the arcade original. Man, you would think there would have been a 100 percent arcade port on some Sega Classic Collection for like PS2 or Xbox or something.

Didn't the PS2 get a game in Japan that has the Arcade version of Virtua Fighter? Or it's almost like the Arcade Version of the first Virtua Fighter?

So is Sega Rally Championship Model 2 or Model 3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    So is Sega Rally Championship Model 2 or Model 3?
    Sega Rally Championship is Model 2.
    Sega Rally Championship 2 is Model 3.

The second game was done decently on the Dreamcast but it sucked compared to the original to begin with. The best home port of Sega Rally Championship to date is the Japanese Saturn version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    The best home port of Sega Rally Championship to date is the Japanese Saturn version.
    Actually, there is a nigh on perfect port of Sega Rally (which was my favorite racing game up until OutRun 2) that came with the first printing of Sega Rally 2006, which will probably never see the light of day in the US. I preordered this game for this reason alone and I'm extremely satisfied. The port is much, much better than the Sega Ages Model 2 conversions of Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighting Vipers, though I haven't given Last Bronx a go.

I agree with Anthony1 in that the Dreamcast port of Daytona USA is unfortunate. The graphics are gorgeous, but the control is too touchy even after playing with the analog settings. Haven't had the chance to play it with a wheel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    I agree with Anthony1 in that the Dreamcast port of Daytona USA is unfortunate. The graphics are gorgeous, but the control is too touchy even after playing with the analog settings. Haven't had the chance to play it with a wheel.
    Why does this comment come up all the time? :P I swear, one of these days we all need to meet up at CGE and I'll show you all how easy Daytona USA on the DC (aka Daytona USA 2001) is to play with the normal Dreamcast analog stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Didn't the PS2 get a game in Japan that has the Arcade version of Virtua Fighter? Or it's almost like the Arcade Version of the first Virtua Fighter?
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution for PS2 has a VF Anniversary mode that takes all of the characters from VF4 and puts them in a tweaked version of the original Virtua Fighter. It is very cool, especially considering VF4 Evo was a $20 game.

The original PS2 release allowed you to unlock a VF1 model of your character by reaching 1st Dan in the Kumite mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Why does this comment come up all the time? :P I swear, one of these days we all need to meet up at CGE and I'll show you all how easy Daytona USA on the DC (aka Daytona USA 2001) is to play with the normal Dreamcast analog stick.
    Not saying its unplayable, but it could have been so much better. The DC Daytona is the best home port by far. It just sucks that the control is a dark stain on a killer homage to a true classic. The original Saturn version is not completely true to the arcade control-wise either, but it was incredibly fun. Daytona:CCE is a missed opportunity. The Japanese version is better, but not by much.

Love comparing versions of games. One of my favorite things to do is pull out Virtua Racing for the Genesis, 32X, Saturn and PS2 and play them chronologically. The 16-Bit SFII's are fun to compare and contrast too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You *must* do the analog controller calibration with the stock DC controller from within the game to make it playable. I didn't know this until months after I had the game. After adjusting it, it's much less touchy and works great.

Pete
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution for PS2 has a VF Anniversary mode that takes all of the characters from VF4 and puts them in a tweaked version of the original Virtua Fighter.
    That was one of the main selling points for me, actually. I've always been quite happy with VF2 and 3, but when I found out about the anniversary mode in VF4 Evolution, I ran out and bought it.

Re: Model 3 Emulation

There's been some pretty impressive work on it in the last 2 years or so. SuperModel laid some pretty good groundwork for the Model 3 emulation in MAME right now (which is quite impressive, though it's doubtful you have access to a PC powerful enough to run the games full speed right now). I'm also pretty sad that Scud Race never got a home release but it seems to be pretty faithfully emulated in MAME, so right now you just have to play the waiting game while PCs catch up. (or until someone writes an accellerated game-specific emulator similar to what Aaron Giles did for Radikal Bikers)

the Model2 Emulator from ElSemi doesn't emulate Model 2 or Model 2A games because there's shit for documentation on the custom ICs (more info here), but Model 2B and Model 2C are looking pretty damn good. Some 2A games were also released for the 2B and 2C (like Dynamite Cop) but others (like Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA) only have their 2d graphics emulated

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, there is a nigh on perfect port of Sega Rally (which was my favorite racing game up until OutRun 2) that came with the first printing of Sega Rally 2006, which will probably never see the light of day in the US. I preordered this game for this reason alone and I'm extremely satisfied.

Can you explain what you are talking about?

What do you mean first printing of Sega Rally 2006? What system is it for? I would love to play a almost perfect version of Sega Rally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found the Dc good but far to sensitve to control then I got
    a Ps2 convertor and find a Dual Shock Controlller far more
    comfortable, Yes I know it may make Sonic cry.
    zomg I have a sig

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, wasn't there a Sega Rally on the PS2 that was supposed to have a random track generator?

I seem to remember reading about that online....say 2 or 3 years ago.

I am also one of the few that seems to have no problems playing Daytona with the stock DC controller. Just a little tweak-aroo and voila! Fun fun fuN!