Thread: "The great rainbow" (Space Invaders)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default "The great rainbow" (Space Invaders)

Tonight was a milestone in my 28 years of gaming. It may be considered a small one, nowadays. But I'm still proud of it, nonetheless...

I was playing Space Invaders on a Taito Silver Anniversary machine, earlier tonight. I finally achived getting "the great rainbow" tonight. The glitch that leaves a trail behind the last invader if it was from the first 2 rows - not to mention a 1000 point bonus. It's called the rainbow because of SI deluxe - it left what looked kind of like a rainbow after you shot the last invader.

anyone else here managed to pull this trick off? This thread will be "The great rainbow" club...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't think that it was an actualy glitch, I assumed it was designed that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never seen "the great rainbow" before on Space Invaders, but congrats.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nothin about a Rainbow... but just the bonus points... sure it wasnt a reflection of the flag hangin on your wall?
    just messin with ya. ...
    proud of you though. *high five*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Yeah, it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it. The trick is leaving a column with one of the bottom aliens alive so that you can hit the ones above it more easily.

Certainly looks cool though :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: "The great rainbow" (Space Invaders)

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    Tonight was a milestone in my 28 years of gaming. It may be considered a small one, nowadays. But I'm still proud of it, nonetheless...

I was playing Space Invaders on a Taito Silver Anniversary machine, earlier tonight. I finally achived getting "the great rainbow" tonight. The glitch that leaves a trail behind the last invader if it was from the first 2 rows - not to mention a 1000 point bonus. It's called the rainbow because of SI deluxe - it left what looked kind of like a rainbow after you shot the last invader.

anyone else here managed to pull this trick off? This thread will be "The great rainbow" club...

Only about a bazillion times in my lifetime.. seriously I was the kid obsessed with Space Invaders. I guess it helped that I was around and able to go to arcades in the 70's when an "arcade" was really just a hall of Space Invader machines lined up all along the walls.

I'm curious though.. I've only seen the anniversary machine once or twice.. and I thought it only had SI part 1 on it. And I'm pretty sure you dont get a point bonus by doing the rainbow on part 1 (although as I typed that I all of a sudden am having doubts about my 20+ years of thinking that )

But yeah.. good old early arcade games. You never see machines like that anymore. I mean machines with artwork and holographic displays and mirrors and cardboard backgrounds with flourescent lighting. The SI anniversary machine pales in comparison. But oh well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Done it a few times on MAME, and twice on a real (vintage) machine. First time I did it, it was sort of a "What the Hell?!" thing, then I found out it was intended.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Yes! And it exists in both CV Space Invaders Collection and CV Space Invasion by John Dondzilla.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146

Only about a bazillion times in my lifetime.. seriously I was the kid obsessed with Space Invaders. I guess it helped that I was around and able to go to arcades in the 70's when an "arcade" was really just a hall of Space Invader machines lined up all along the walls.

I'm curious though.. I've only seen the anniversary machine once or twice.. and I thought it only had SI part 1 on it. And I'm pretty sure you dont get a point bonus by doing the rainbow on part 1 (although as I typed that I all of a sudden am having doubts about my 20+ years of thinking that )

But yeah.. good old early arcade games. You never see machines like that anymore. I mean machines with artwork and holographic displays and mirrors and cardboard backgrounds with flourescent lighting. The SI anniversary machine pales in comparison. But oh well
    You've noticed that too? Remember games like Crystal Castles, Tapper, and Tron? Just looking at an arcade was something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

True - I miss when the cabinet designs were still fresh and bold. My favorites were Omega Race, Battlezone, Sinistar (I've played the cockpit once in my life - and I'll never forget the experience), Discs of Tron, Missile Command (again - cockpit is a totally different experience). To me, Hang-On was pretty much the last truly unique cabinet I've ever seen.

I, too, miss seeing those colorful, artistic cabinets of yesteryear. At least Sega still takes pride in their arcade cabinets...

Tempest's artwork will never be topped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This pic doesn't show the monitor on the bottom, but aah yes.. the beauty No, not mine... I wish! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No screenies of this rainbow thing?

The first I heard of it was in the B&W Game Boy version.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

This pic doesn't show the monitor on the bottom, but aah yes.. the beauty No, not mine... I wish! :P

Weird!

I've never seen a Taito SI outside Japan. Just Midway. I also didn't realize they looked very similar. Lucky Japanese got joysticks, too..

Still even has the overlay on the monitor. You don't see many Invader machines with the overlays still intact.

And here are some shots of the trick (these pics aren't me, of course - and they are from SI deluxe)) for those who have never seen it. And it was 500 points as a bonus not 1000 - my mistake... On regular SI - you only see the trail left by the invader. There is no 'rainbow'... It somehow got that name, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never seen a Taito SI outside Japan. Just Midway. I also didn't realize they looked very similar. Lucky Japanese got joysticks, too..

Still even has the overlay on the monitor. You don't see many Invader machines with the overlays still intact.
    Well yeah it has the green color overlay on the shields and the purple overlay for the UFO, but of course the moon background is pretty much cardboard (not an overlay) and the invaders are reflected on a mirror to it

Where I grew up it was mainly Taito SI's. The Midway machines were the "imports" and had inferior artwork on the bezel, moon & cabinet. But that's arguable I guess :P Here's the Midway Moon (click) to compare to the Taito one.. and the cab sideart for each is below

vs

Yknow what's REALLY rare that I used to play a lot is the Taito Space Invaders Part II. It has a red background and blue moon base (left pic). Midway Space Invaders Deluxe (right pic) on the other hand has a much darker background.

Aah I love Space Invaders