Thread: Harvest Moon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Harvest Moon

I briefly played Harvest Moon in it's GBC incarnation ages ago and thoroughly enjoyed this unique game.

So what would everyone suggest as the best home version of HM, seeing as it sems to have graced many systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always been partial to the SNES, Playstation, and N64 incarnations but I hear that Magical Melody on Gamecube blows 'em all out of the water.

...which would be quite the change of pace since A Wonderful Life was one of the worst in the series Haven't played Save the Homeland yet... anyone have any opinions on that one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I've just had a look over on www.HMOtaku.net.

I didn't actualy realise there were so many of the games. So a choice between SNES, N64 and PSone versions: which would you go for?

Or are they different enough to make owning more than one version worthwhile?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    Or are they different enough to make owning more than one version worthwhile?
    Pretty much, yea. The first game is a nice introduction to the series (in addition to be easy to download and emulate on a whim) whereas 64 implements a badass greenhouse option. The playstation version toned down the greenhouse a good bit but balanced out other areas of the game (in addition to shuffling around a bunch of stuff from Harvest Moon 64).

A Wonderful Life scared me off from preordering Magical Melody, but after hearing all of the good mojo about it I think I'm going to try to see if I can pick up a copy of it w/ the little sheep. I remember getting a couple little cows back in '01 for Save the Homeland and those little bastards rocked.

Seriously, one of these days I'm going to have to play Save the Homeland

edit - here's a bit more detailed comparison between the Playstation and N64 Harvest Moons

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you know the 2 GBA outings are basically dumbed down versions of the PS? Pretty much the same setting and ideas.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i only played teh snes game, which i believe was the first. while i thoroughly enjoyed it, i felt it lacked enough substance to continue playing after about a week or so, (40-50 hrs?)

i always thought it be best as a portable, so maybe the gba games would suite best. but then again, i havent played the ps or n64 or any of the current gen ones, so maybe they have much more depth to them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The snes game has always been my favorite. If a game gives me too many choices, I burn myself out trying to do them all them all. With the Snes game I can still do it all and have fun. Since the game's day isn't long, it's easy to play a game day or two even when you're busy with real life. Then there's the fact that since you're stuck moving in "squares" the gardening is much easier than some of the newer ones.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    Did you know the 2 GBA outings are basically dumbed down versions of the PS? Pretty much the same setting and ideas.
    But without the horrible loading time.

That said I don't care for the PlayStation version or it's spinoffs.

I like the games that play like the original SNES version. These includes Harvest Moon 64 and Magical Melody.

Depending on which aspect of the game you like I would also recommend either Save the Homeland or A Wonderful Life. StH for being short and easy to jump into. Marriage was elimenated completely, the game also limits you to a smaller selection of crops, shorter months, and a time limit. But it's fun to run though the game multiple times in order to unlock all the different endings. Something which I loved about the original Harvest Moon.

Wonderful Life however is all about raising a family and the extended (yet often long winded) gameplay. While the gameplay can become awfully monotonous after awhile, it is fun to see how the village changes throughout the different stages of your famer's life.