Thread: ReVival classic/modern/homebrew VG magazine

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ReVival classic/modern/homebrew VG magazine

Hey gang,

Picked up these two issues of ReVival Magazine from Good Deal Games during CinciClassic a month or two ago. Been meaning to review them for the folks here. And here you go:

ReVival Magazine (www.revival.free.fr) is a French retrogaming magazine available in English from Good Deal Games (www.gooddealgames). Right now, issues 29 and 30 are available in English. (I see that issue 31 is now available in French. Pity I pulled a C- in that class.

The English versions are fun to read (and there can never be too many retrogaming mags), but be warned - sometimes the French-to-English translation may be a little rough. Though you can still easily follow the articles, there will be an occassional "What the?" in some of the text. Nothing major though.

The two issues I picked up were pretty chunky with content - each 44+ pages in length. Issue 29 features the NEX on the cover, and Issue 30 features the Cuttle Cart 2. Both issues are more current than I thought they'd be with plenty of multipage reviews of the newest happenings in the retrogaming field. Check out this list of games reviewed:
    Sky Jaguar (CV); VeCaves (Vec);YASI (Vec); I, Cyborg (Vec); Freefall (Nuon); Inhabitants (DC); Loopz (Lynx); 4-Tris (Int); Yie Ar Kung Fu (CV); Climber 5 (2600); and tons more. They also cover games in development - fun to read. They even cover systems I'm not too familar with, but I found it interesting to read about game systems that were popular outside of the US.

The mags have B&W interiors, but are chock full of screenshots and photos. Covers are in full color, with the back cover featuring full color photos of all the games covered in the issue - nice touch.

GDG has these two issues for $5.99 each (LINK) and, if they sell well, he'll start carrying the English editions regularly. Good news if you're a retromag freak like me.

Anyway, check 'em out if you get the chance.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just looking at buying this so thanks for your small review. Their web site isn't too easy to understand though. I guess I have to fill out an order form to tell them I want the magazines rather than add to a shopping cart?

What other retro mags would you recommend (I'm looking into buying retro gamer issues as well, but they're heavy on the shipping costs).

Nate

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thanks for the kind words

Thanks to Tim for the kind words of support for the ReVival project. It is definately a labor of love and we hope that more DP readers check it the magazine. As a trial, we only made 40 English issues for each issue, and there are only a few remaining in stock, so it is off to a promising start. However, translating a heavy text mag for such a small run is grand task, and we hope that we obtain more readers so that we can continue the service.

Cheers,
    Michael of GDG
    www.GoodDealGames.com
    http://www.GoodDealGames.com
    Classic Gaming Interviews, Articles, News, Puzzles, Humor, Online Arcade, Game Publishing, Sales, WGDG Game Radio, Collectors List, Links, Chat, Release Lists, Fan Fiction, Token Museum & more... much more.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, it's from the publishers of ST magazine. Interesting to see them still going strong.