Thread: More stuff to note in an auction listing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default More stuff to note in an auction listing..

I'm not bitching about the seller; because after he pointed it out to me.. he was in the right. But..

I won THIS auction a couple of weeks ago.

I've been on eBay for over six years now and I learned early, and the hard way about checking for things like feedback percentage, payment expectancy and such before I bid. This guy also wanted $6 for priority.. no problem.

A few months ago (may have been longer) I started noticing the term and time under the entry: "Domestic Handling Time" in a seller's "Shipping, payment details and return policy". I never paid much attention to it and always thought this referred to a guesstimate of how long it would take for the shipping of an item to reach you. Since I hardly ever have any problems with shipping waits or the method I choose to pay for postage.. I didn't give it a second thought; nor even noticed it this time. I paid this guy on Fri the 2nd with instant PP transfer. I figured he'd mail out Monday and I'd get my DVD some time last week especially since he's using priority.

Fast forward to last Fri.. still no DVD. So I PM him and ask if he sent it. Got a reply yesterday; and in the meantime checked out his feedback more thoroughly.. some people had complained about slow shipping.. ah well. In his reply he said:

"Hi and thanks for your extreme patience in waiting. If you will be kind enough to re-read the auction it states that I have an up to ten day domestic handling time period to get things
    packed and shipped, then the priority mail service that you paid for takes approximately 2-3
    days for the postal service to get it to you."

<excuses edited out for brevity>

"I will be shipping over 100
    items tomorrow 6-12-06 and am sending a copy of this e-mail to the 4 people who are concerned
    about their packages. I will be leaving for vacation on Tuesday. While I am gone your
    packages should arrive to you."

OK.. cordial.. if not curt. Then I noticed what that term was:

"Domestic Handling Time
    Will usually ship within 10 business days of receiving cleared payment."

..AHHH.. I says.. this is how long it takes HIM to get his packages out (Actually.. I had seen this when I myself listed an auction and you can pick how many days go in here. I always picked 2 or 3 because.. once again I thought it meant "transit time"; and yes I know eBay now lists that too right beneath that according to delivery method).

So it's my fault but it still irks me a tiny bit that my only postage option is to pay $6 for expedited delivery while he has up to ten days to get off his arse and mail it. I'm surprised he hasn't got even more negs than he does. If he is going to give himself a 10 day leeway to mail.. he really shouldn't be using priority.. it's an oxymoron and of course you can send a DVD priority for LESS than $6 but I never complain because I always pay what's asked.. or don't bid if I feel I'm getting ripped overall.

Sooo.. next time I'll pay more attention. I'm not gonna' neg the guy because he's right.. and I should have paid more attention. I'd really like to buy from him again though; and this time I'd wait ten days to pay.

My bad.. from now on I'm gonna' look at that too.

It's kind of funny because the other day before this all happened I was thinking.. it probably wouldn't get a seller any bids but what if you stated something like: "You have 7 days to pay for your item. The promptness of my S&H is dependent on how quick you pay me. Pay in 1 day.. I will mail out your item in 1 day. Pay in 5 days and I have up to 5 days to send your item out.. etc. Am I the only one that thinks up annoying cr*p like this?
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: More stuff to note in an auction listing..

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    Pay in 1 day.. I will mail out your item in 1 day. Pay in 5 days and I have up to 5 days to send your item out.. etc. Am I the only one that thinks up annoying cr*p like this?
    I was thinking of doing that exact thing in my own auctions. I tyically ship within 24 hours of payment, but when payment takes over a week, I find it unfair to me to drop everything to ship one package when a week ago I conveniently took 20 at once to the post office for those who paid on time.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it probably wouldn't get a seller any bids but what if you stated something like: "You have 7 days to pay for your item. The brevity of my S&H is dependent on how quick you pay me. Pay in 1 day.. I will mail out your item in 1 day. Pay in 5 days and I have up to 5 days to send your item out.. etc. Am I the only one that thinks up annoying cr*p like this?
    Actually, a few years ago, I had this *exact* listed policy, along with many other renegade, user-unfriendly policies. While doing this, I noticed that it doesn't affect bids at all if you are selling a unique or rare item, but if the buyer has a choice, they will buy elsewhere. I was selling only about 10% "common" items, so it's amazing what I could get away with. Whenever someone would complain about something, I would simply point to my FAQ or the item description. Admittedly, this was a 100% dickish move, but I was absolutely sick of the ignorant/NPB losers. I've since moved on to nicer policies.

Of course, when someone takes like 3 weeks to pay and doesn't have a good reason, I don't necessarily run to the PO the next day. Call it unwritten policy.
    ________
    Honda Life
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitnes
    Pay in 1 day.. I will mail out your item in 1 day. Pay in 5 days and I have up to 5 days to send your item out.. etc. Am I the only one that thinks up annoying cr*p like this?
    I was thinking of doing that exact thing in my own auctions. I tyically ship within 24 hours of payment, but when payment takes over a week, I find it unfair to me to drop everything to ship one package when a week ago I conveniently took 20 at once to the post office for those who paid on time.
    agreed. when it takes a buyer over a week to pay and several emails, they have nerve to complain about shipping taking 2 weeks.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I ship two to four times a week, depending on the volume and size of the items I sell. Usually it's tuesday, wednesday (after the flea market), and saturday (before the flea market). I've made this clear on my auction policies since I started. Not everyone does this, I've noticed. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I guess you could practice this policy without having to state it. Especially as long as you didn't give everyone like two weeks to pay. As in this example for instance. I paid him in two days as I recall, so if he had waited till Tues or Weds to mail it out it still would have probably reached me no later than last Sat. I would have been happy and would never have known the better.

As it stands now (and if he does mail today).. I 'll be lucky if I see it by THIS Friday. Also I find it hard to believe that someone who's been selling as long as he has and has as small a FB as him (hell.. I have more as a buyer) would be mailing out 100 items today in one fell swoop. Of course.. that can be checked out to.. just go to advanced search, items by seller and see what he's sold in the last 30 days (completed auctions option).

KS.. what you do is probably effective as well to motivate people to pay. Especially if you dropped the frequency to twice or even once a week. I know several times in my own experience I've won auctions from sellers who state something like they only mail out on Saturdays because they work during the week (Nothing wrong with that.. I can certainly relate) then they have their auctions end on Thu or Fri. That's prompted me to pay them in 24 hours simply because I want them to get my item out THAT weekend and NOT the next. People couldn't complain if you worded it that way and made it perfectly clear.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

KS.. what you do is probably effective as well to motivate people to pay. Especially if you dropped the frequency to twice or even once a week. I know several times in my own experience I've won auctions from sellers who state something like they only mail out on Saturdays because they work during the week (Nothing wrong with that.. I can certainly relate) then they have their auctions end on Thu or Fri. That's prompted me to pay them in 24 hours simply because I want them to get my item out THAT weekend and NOT the next. People couldn't complain if you worded it that way and made it perfectly clear.
    Funny. I get a lot of people who say that they'll pay me later in the week. I'm rather accomodating to these buyers, actually. As long as I'm notified of this, I won't get angry - it's the people who don't respond to my inquiries regarding payment that piss me off. As it stands, I have one deadbeat buyer and one guy who did a BIN on an item last week... and he said he'd pay me this friday. :\

I usually ship twice a week but since the flea market is so close to the post office (like, two blocks away) I don't mind shipping stuff on that day. So all's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic