Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone want the old DS?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why would anyone want the old DS?

You know everything about the DS lite is pretty sweet. Never even remotely considered getting a DS until I heard about the new version. Still haven't purchased one, but when it hits $99.99 I'll likely grab one.

But regarding the original version. Considering the bulkyness of it, and the not as bright screens.... Will anybody really want the old one? I'm guessing if anybody wants to sell a old style DS, they are going to have to take a pretty big hit on it, cause any money spend on the old bulky version is money that could have gone towards the redesign.

Of course if you've had a DS lite for sometime, and are perfectly happy with it, then no worries I guess. Just keep on banging away on that bulky beast!

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is sort of like the GBA vs. GBS SP with less of a difference between the two in regards to the DS.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd want the old DS if it were cheap, or because of the fact that I already have the old DS and mine is too beat up to sell really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Because the first DS isn't really that much larger than the new model, even though they've made some nice changes to make it smaller and have a better weight distribution. It still has a nice screen, even if its not as good as the bright screens on the SP2, Micro, and DS2.

Plus you have to realize just how many casual gamers are aware of the new model of the DS, not many at all at first compared to the percentage of people like us that are. You're going to have people like EB pushing the old model to mom who wants to buy a DS for a birthday gift and such until they sell their remaining inventory. And a lot of people that are aware of the brighter screens of something like the Micro believed they were the same screens the original DS had, so unless someone sees some promotion or ask a EB employee or Wal-Mart employee to look at the box beforehand, will they know the DS lite has better screens?

And I'm not sure why you're concerned with trade in value for a used handheld for. Not many people will be trading theirs in for the new model I bet. If DS's start breaking, we'll see people upgrading much in the same manner people have purchased slim-line models of the PS2 to replace ones that have developed problems. Fuctionally, they're the same more or less, so I only see current DS owners like those at this board upgrading right now.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well yeah, I guess the uninformed will still buy the old DS. But If I was trying to unload a old DS, I would get started on it right away.

In a way though, if you sell a DS 1, to somebody with no knowledge of the DS2, you are kinda scamming the dude in away. But I guess nobody put a gun to the dude's head forcing him to buy your old DS1, but still, you know'll you'll feel a little bit guilty about it. It was like the time that I sold my Sega Saturn. I knew the Saturn was totally dead, and this dad and his son came over, and they asked me if I thought the Saturn would survive, and I told them, "oh yeah, the Saturn is really strong, it will survive no problem". They paid too much for it, and I felt pretty bad knowing I sold them a system that was about to die. That's not the same as the DS scenario at all, but still, you get the idea. Of course, if that Dad and the kid new how to import Saturn games from Japan they would be set, but they wouldn't have known an import from a hole in the ground.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    In a way though, if you sell a DS 1, to somebody with no knowledge of the DS2, you are kinda scamming the dude in away. But I guess nobody put a gun to the dude's head forcing him to buy your old DS1, but still, you know'll you'll feel a little bit guilty about it..
    Umm, no I won't. I have no qualms with "scamming" the stupid.

It just comes with the territory. If I tricked someone into buying a DS1 for more than it's worth I reckon I'd be pretty pleased with myself. I once sold Smashing Drive (GameCube) to someone for a full $50. The game sucks.

Then there was the time someone paid me $40 for 3 shitty SNES sports titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As long as you don't mislead them like saying what you did about the Saturn, I'd have no worries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer

Umm, no I won't. I have no qualms with "scamming" the stupid.

It just comes with the territory. If I tricked someone into buying a DS1 for more than it's worth I reckon I'd be pretty pleased with myself. I once sold Smashing Drive (GameCube) to someone for a full $50. The game sucks.

Then there was the time someone paid me $40 for 3 shitty SNES sports titles.

I remember, just two short years ago, when this was place for gamers to come, look out for one another, and chit chat about games. I remember when we used to brag about how many friends we got into video games and classic collecting.

All you people that invited your friends to DP. I hope you die. Look what you did to this place.

A good reason to keep the Old DS is if you are left handed, as I am. Although there is only one game I know that causes a problem for lefties, it's a damn good game that all people should play. There is a portion in Castlevanis where you have to go from holding down on the dpad, to breaking ice crystals with the stylus. Being lefthanded means you have to stop ducking, break the ice, and duck again with the same hand. With the stylus being stored under the right hand in the DS Lite, that would make the manuever near impossible your first time coming to the obstacle.

Another reason to keep an DS Fat is if you keep your handheld console in your pocket. The power switch on the side of the console may get flipped while being placed in, or pulled out. The last reason, is for people like me that play with the joints of their thumbs placed on the buttons instead of with their fingertips. The DS Lite is substantially smaller, and the top screen causes interferance with my finger placement.

And the last but not least reason to keep a DS Fat. Because you already own one, and your wife put dibs on the DS Lite. So now when we are sitting in the living room, getting into a furious game of Tetris DS, and I lose, I blame it on her having a brighter, clearer screen and rounder, bigger buttons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    All you people that invited your friends to DP. I hope you die. Look what you did to this place.
    I invited Bloodreign and Airraid...so it's a bit of a draw, on that count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

why dont you just marry the ds JJnova

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default a couple of reasons

Two reasons to buy an original:

1. If it was very cheap
    2. Multiple units for multiplayer

Due to many carts being able to do multiplayer off of one cart. The DS fat could be a great backup.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe in Karma, so there's no way I would talk someone into getting an older one without listing the drawbacks. Last thing I need is someone coming back to me all mad that I didn't tell them about the new one or something.

I didn't get to be department manager by lying to customers.

Besides, in time people will still buy our leftover stock. And the ones that don't sell will eventually come down to $10 clearanced like the Final Fantasy XI w/ HD that finally dropped again today. (Check your local Kmarts!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the original DS could perhaps be the more suitable of the two for young children. It is very robust, as we know, and has a more toy-like look to it. I mean, it also feels pretty cheap and tacky when compared to the Lite.

Any Lite owners with kids, who want to get them on the gaming bandwagon, may well get them the original DS. Or if they already have a DS, they would probably pass it down the family tree when they buy a Lite.

That is what I think, anyway.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I prefer the larger one due to the size of it. My long fingers don't enjoy extended play sessions with the Lite.

I'm not willing to trade off brightness for comfort.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As you can see on the front page of DP today, there is homebrew for the DS. (Quake for the DS, for instance)

The best way of playing this kinda stuff involves flashing your firmware (which is pretty difficult).

On the DS Lite, it's still possible, but incredibly easy to mess up, which causes your system to be a brick.

On the old one, it's very easy, and then you can play Quake on your DS! And Monkey Island games, and Maniac Mansion games, etc, etc. (There really is a ton.) So, the original DS is much better (and safer!) for homebrew.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

LIke a previous poster, the old DS feels better in my big hands. Also, I ALWAYS keep a GBA cart in mine and the fact that they stick out on the Lite is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just going to say that about the GBA carts too. That's just annoying, and it gets in the way.

But I also have to agree with the person who's wife has dibs on the Lite; that's how it is in my house! Let the wife have the shiny pretty one hehe.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Yeah big hands and durability (the Lite is to white, will get discoloered). Thee were my responses to, but that screen is so bright that I'll keep my eyes open for a preowned on anyways...never got the newest GBA SP just for it's brighter screen though...

Later,
    Trebuen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, for completists some games react differently when you pop them into an old DS and a DS lite...just check Mario Kart DS...the greeting by Mario is different when you start the game.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the DS better than the DS lite simply because of mic placement. In many games that have you use the microphone, you can't see the bottom screen when you're up close to the mic on the DS Lite. With the DS, you can still see both screens.