Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone want the old DS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

I'm keeping the fatty DS for a few reasons:

-Multiplayer Mario Kart, Brain Age, etc.

-I flashed the firmware on my DS1 so I can play homebrew. I don't feel comfortable flashing the DS Lite just yet, even though many have had success with it.

-Collection purposes. I enjoy collecting handhelds and have a very difficult time giving them up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Who the hell wants a white handheld? I can imagine the new DS looking dirty and yellowed after a few weeks. I think I'll wait for another color.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it me, or are some of you looking for excuses not to buy a Lite? Anyone who has played both would be hard pushed to recommend the original.

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    Well, for completists some games react differently when you pop them into an old DS and a DS lite...just check Mario Kart DS...the greeting by Mario is different when you start the game.
    Was that confirmed? I read some comments here and there that suggested it had nothing to do with the DS Lite, but was based on your progress in the game, or the first time it is played on a new DS, etc. I just don't know what to believe, and I'm too lazy to try it for myself!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Well, for completists some games react differently when you pop them into an old DS and a DS lite...just check Mario Kart DS...the greeting by Mario is different when you start the game.
    Was that confirmed? I read some comments here and there that suggested it had nothing to do with the DS Lite, but was based on your progress in the game, or the first time it is played on a new DS, etc. I just don't know what to believe, and I'm too lazy to try it for myself!
    I can confirm that there IS a different greeting at the beginning of Mario Kart. My guess would be that it happens when played on a new/different DS (Lite or not), but I haven't done any research to back that up. I had not made any new progress in the game so it's not because of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Why"? Come on man this is DP. The land of COLLECTORS

Hell this is the place where it's not uncommon for someone to have the original GB, and every other iteration afterward. :P I know I do

I do hope to pick up a Lite this week. We'll see if I can find it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Is it me, or are some of you looking for excuses not to buy a Lite? Anyone who has played both would be hard pushed to recommend the original.
    I have played both and, no, I really do not like the new one, sorry. The fact that my GBA carts stick out nullifies one of the reasons I liked the DS in the first place. The new screens are better but having the carts stick out kills functionality for me. I'll wait for another revision. Of course, if you guys don't play much GBA games, the new DS would be a better choice.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've put some time in on both, and I still enjoy the older one. The brighter screens are super nice, but being uncomfortable while playing just isn't good.

I'm not looking for reasons-besides, I don't see a need to drop $120 on a system I already have.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    I can confirm that there IS a different greeting at the beginning of Mario Kart. My guess would be that it happens when played on a new/different DS (Lite or not), but I haven't done any research to back that up. I had not made any new progress in the game so it's not because of that.
    ah it actually depends if there is a gba game in the bottom slot, thats what I have been hearing anyway

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943
    Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    ah it actually depends if there is a gba game in the bottom slot, thats what I have been hearing anyway
    Could that hint at a GBA add-on with some new tracks? That would be awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'll stick with my heavy DS, mainly because I don't like the way the DS Lite looks. People may say it looks "slim and sexy", but to me it looks like if it falls it breaks. Plus the GBA cart sticking out is a turn off, I only own one GBA game and I'd rather keep it in my DS instead of misplacing it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman943
    Nope. Not true. I just confirmed the sound stays the same whether there's a cart, no cart or the slot protector.

I am actually curious now. I wonder what other games do different stuff. Would have to be newer games released after Nintendo started working on the Lite.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got to spend some quality time my friend's DS lite yesterday, Wow is it ever bright and sexy.

It looks like a really small ibook with that lucite and all

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    In a way though, if you sell a DS 1, to somebody with no knowledge of the DS2, you are kinda scamming the dude in away. But I guess nobody put a gun to the dude's head forcing him to buy your old DS1, but still, you know'll you'll feel a little bit guilty about it..
    Umm, no I won't. I have no qualms with "scamming" the stupid.

It just comes with the territory. If I tricked someone into buying a DS1 for more than it's worth I reckon I'd be pretty pleased with myself. I once sold Smashing Drive (GameCube) to someone for a full $50. The game sucks.

Then there was the time someone paid me $40 for 3 shitty SNES sports titles.
    Remind me not to respect you, ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyfried
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    In a way though, if you sell a DS 1, to somebody with no knowledge of the DS2, you are kinda scamming the dude in away. But I guess nobody put a gun to the dude's head forcing him to buy your old DS1, but still, you know'll you'll feel a little bit guilty about it..
    Umm, no I won't. I have no qualms with "scamming" the stupid.

It just comes with the territory. If I tricked someone into buying a DS1 for more than it's worth I reckon I'd be pretty pleased with myself. I once sold Smashing Drive (GameCube) to someone for a full $50. The game sucks.

Then there was the time someone paid me $40 for 3 shitty SNES sports titles.
    Remind me not to respect you, ok?
    I agree. It's people like Xizer that make me hate humanity sometimes. :/

Scratch that. Despise humanity.

Add to that everything JJNova said on page 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

To awnser the original poster - I think the only reason you'd want an old DS is because it's cheaper.

That would be the only reason I could think of.

Makes me glad I held out until the Lite.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Obviously if I wasn't already a DS owner I'd buy a DS Lite over the original. But I already have the system and don't think the improvements really warrent buying a replacement. Sure it's smaller but I never complained about the size before. And yes the screen's brighter but I never thought the original was too dark.

Eventually I will buy a new DS though, if only because I broke the hinge on mine. It's playable but wobbly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I didn't buy the original DS because the ABXY buttons seemed too small. The buttons on the Lite feel better to me. Anybody like the ABXY buttons on the original DS better?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    I remember, just two short years ago, when this was place for gamers to come, look out for one another, and chit chat about games. I remember when we used to brag about how many friends we got into video games and classic collecting.

All you people that invited your friends to DP. I hope you die. Look what you did to this place.
    You got that right. I stopped posting long ago and went strictly to reading posts on here because I noticed a huge change between member interactions here.

A few of the regulars even began having daily PMS for some of the most tarded reasons... None at me directly, but the point still stands.

Not quite sure what happened here for sure, but it was noticable long ago and it keeps getting worse.

This was one of my favorite places to talk about games for quite awhile, until in turned into a "Retro Gamefaq's".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

About the mariokart thing, I heard it too, but I just thought I was crazy .

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidX01
    Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    I remember, just two short years ago, when this was place for gamers to come, look out for one another, and chit chat about games. I remember when we used to brag about how many friends we got into video games and classic collecting.

All you people that invited your friends to DP. I hope you die. Look what you did to this place.
    You got that right. I stopped posting long ago and went strictly to reading posts on here because I noticed a huge change between member interactions here.

A few of the regulars even began having daily PMS for some of the most tarded reasons... None at me directly, but the point still stands.

Not quite sure what happened here for sure, but it was noticable long ago and it keeps getting worse.

This was one of my favorite places to talk about games for quite awhile, until in turned into a "Retro Gamefaq's".
    I only joined DP a little over a year ago... so I very much hope I'm not part of this group of people that have ruined DP in your eyes.

Personally, I love this place. This is the first - and only - forum I have settled at. It is the only place I post regularly. I don't know what it is... but there is something pretty wonderful about this place. So many people put so much time and effort into the various aspects of DP, and I guess that love just rubs off a little on me.

But even since I have been here, I've noticed the place change a little. The forums went through the whole "post as much news as you can find" phase... which did start to irk me. But other than that, I just freakin' love this place - and most of you guys!