Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Translated SNES carts

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FS: Translated SNES carts

I read through and thought about your comments so I'd like to say a few things before it gets worse. Most of the constructive comments did have valid points. For those that insisted on flaming, childish remarks don't lend to your credibility whether you have 1 post or several thousand. I don't equate post count with wisdom, integrity, or anything else along those lines. I try to refrain from profanity and name calling because this is a public forum. I have to say that it was wrong of me to offer your work for sale without permission so I am no longer offering these carts for sale.

I'm not really making much off of this. After a minimum $20 donation per cart, there isnt much left after parts and materials. This might not seem like much, but at the creators can go out buy a copier to test/play their creation on a real hardware. It's alot more enjoyable and helps them isolate problems caused by emulation. I found quite a few bugs in the Crimson Echoes demo using a copier. Emulation is more forgiving than real hardware. This oversight might lead to regression faults down the line and massive frustration during alpha testing.

Let's take Dragon Quest V for example. The parts run about $20. All that is left is $10. It's only a few bucks above minimum wage. That is a pretty small amount for the work I put into each cart. It takes at least an hour to desolder the original rom, program the eproms, rewire them back into the board, and test the cartridge. This is not including troubleshooting if something goes wrong. If you ever tried to desolder an ic from a printed circuit board before, then you will know how much effort it is to remove.

You make it sound like I sell one of these carts every few minutes. You can't assume that just because I haven't made a donation that I'm just pocketing the money. For the record I have only sold one cartridge and have already contacted the author about making a donation. I only do this for fun because I like to solder and mess with electronics. If I really was in it for the money, I would have opened up my own webstore like nesreproductions or gamereproductions. Honestly, I'm only trying to recoup the cost of materials and a fraction of my effort. The rest goes to the authors so they can go buy tools, books, or even get something nice to eat. These guys work hard on these patches and I was wrong to offer them for sale without permission.

So until I get explicit permission from the translation/hack author(s), there will be no more new carts made. As for the ones I listed before, those will not be for sale either until said permission is granted.

To whoever said that these games are untested on real hardware and will not work, I tested every single game I listed and they do work on a Game Doctor 7 and the carts I built. For those who want to play these translations/hacks on real hardware, I suggest you check out Tototek. They have a variety of copiers and flash carts to play these games on real hardware.

One final note. In the future if I am ever to do this again, I will need the person to provide me with the original game cartridge, a donor cartridge (optional), and most importantly permission from the patch creator. The only thing I will provide is eproms and labor.

I hope I can come to good terms with everyone. Had I known it would turn out like this, I would have only traded them for other reproductions or home-modded stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see pictures of all of these... If they look decent enough, I may see about buying the whole lot from you...
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PM me your email and I'll send you a picture.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

hmmm
    theres a certain hack of final fantasy 6 that allows a new game+, if you were able to make a repro of that, i'd be very interested.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can find the patch, I can do it for you.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

can you also add a save ram file to the cart?

(I assume the repro will have a working reliable battery)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I can. For anyone else that is playing on emulators, I can transfer their save file to the cart.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you do Super Mario World hacks? I'd love to get mine on cartridge.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the hacks work on a copier, then I most likely I can do it. Do you have a link to where I can get your patch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

River City Ransom sequel any chance?

And Lennus 2? (paladin's quest 2)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can provide the rom image and/or patches, it can be done. As long it doesn't use special chip like SA-1 or SDD-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55
    If you can provide the rom image and/or patches, it can be done. As long it doesn't use special chip like SA-1 or SDD-1.
    So I take it therefore that you cannot make a Star Ocean repro?

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't do Star Ocean at the moment but maybe sometime in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The starfox 2 looks interesting, could i ask how well i runs on a american ntsc console? i'v heard and read all the stories how it runs alot better on cart then on emulation?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played it enough on emulation. No suitable controller. I tried it once with a keyboard but I got frustrated before I could enjoy the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, I see... Well, in that case, I'll think over which ones I want...

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55
    If the hacks work on a copier, then I most likely I can do it. Do you have a link to where I can get your patch?
    http://www.geocities.com/ddcecil3/ddcecilsmwx.zip
    (It may need a header depending what version of the ROM you patch.)

I'd like to change around some things before I do put it on cart, but this is basically it. Let me know how much it would be. Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, what a great opportunity! I can pay insanely infalted prices to an unestablished seller/thief for junk he cobbles together in his parents' basement, using stolen ROM images and not-for-profit fan translations, no less. My check is in the mail!

"But, but... nesreproductions does it!" I can almost hear you sob, shadowkn, but there's a world a difference between you and them. The materials and effort put forth are equal whether you're making a cart of Terranigma or one of Claymates, so where do you get off charging different prices? And the prices... are you insane with greed?

Also a donation will be made to the respective active groups that made these translation possible
    Aw, you're such a sweetie-pie.

Go back to charging your daddy to ream your ass. It's a more honest way to earn money.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Hey, thanks for asking permission from the translators!

Oh wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to ask, how do you justify the ridiculous prices? Labor, parts, or what?

And what exactly is your idea of a "donation" to the translators, who put hundreds of hours into these translations? Five, ten dollars? That sounds reasonable. I mean, without them you wouldn't be able to con poor unassuming folks into willingly handing over their money for something so beyond legal that it makes snorting coke on the police precinct look like a good idea!

It's idiots like you, who try to capitalize on people's ignorance while ripping those of us who translate these games as a HOBBY, that give those of us who only do this sort of thing because we find it to be an enjoyable and engaging past time a bad name. You might argue that we're really no better than you are since we disregard the creators of the games we hack, but you'd be wrong - we don't make a profit like you're attempting to do.

Anyone who is considering this, I'd recommend thinking twice. NES Reproductions remains respectable because they don't try to pull the wool over your eyes and then hit you in the face with a frying pan. This chap on the other hand doesn't even bother - you get five (ten and a free lollipop kiss from an estranged smurf if you sweet talk him) right between the eyes.