Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default [I need some more] Super Smash Bros. Gameshark help

Well, I finally got a version 3.2 GS that would actually work with SSB; well, sorta...

you see, I have no troubles getting the game to boot-up; it's the codes that are giving me troubles. I put-in a code for Maser hand: nothing happens. I put- in the code for the "How to Play" stage: again, nothing happens. now usuallly I'd go on a temper-tantrum by now proclaiming that it doesn't work, but whenever I start a 1-player game with the codes in affect, the game locks-up, so that means that SOMETHING is obviously working

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me-out! I'm willing to shove-out nearly every meseta I own to the first man (or woman) who can completely help me to get this freaking thng to work!!!

-Chris

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

There are several different versions of SSBM. When the game was reprinted, some coding was changed to fix bugs; it could be that the GS codes you have don't work for that particular version. When did you get the game?

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my copy was from a trade. any way to tell if it's a later release (sorry, I don't have the original box )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Look on the back of the disc, and looks for a silver ring that's close to the hole. It should have writing on it, something like "DOL AAAA 0 00 JPN". The set of two numbers near the country abbreviation indicates what version the disc is. "00" is the first printing, "01" is the first reversion, "02" is the second reversion, and so on.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disc?!? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT; SUPER SMASH BROS. IS A CARTRIDGE GAME!!! I'M NOT, REPEAT; NOT TALKING ABOUT SSBM!!!![/i]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

D'HO!!!!!

Sorry. Musta had a brain fart while reading that.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

three days ...

c'mon, people; that meseta just won't go into your account on it's own! Help a brotha' out!!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

omg double post

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

come to think of it, there wasthis one article on gamewinners.com that said something about pressing a certain button for the code(s) too work; If someone could track it down for me I'd be greatful, although it would be kind of hard to since GW tends to erase old records...

Insert Coin (Level 0) SolidZach's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The gamesharks for the nintendo 64 never work! Duuh

But heres how you do it,

First off, you'll need a GameShark for your N64, a copy of Super Smash Bros., a copy of Goldeneye (this will be explained later), and a RAM Expansion Pak. The former is UNBELIEVABLY cheap (I got mine at EB for 5 bucks), while SSB is unfairly priced even used, at almost anywhere but online and at garage sales, etc. The expansion Pak is REQUIRED to use the codes we'll be using with the GameShark. They're not too big a deal; check those plastic baggies on the shelves at your local GameStop or EB.

Regarding the GameShark, make sure the model you are buying (there are several) is a GameShark Pro- it's the best model, with the most and best features (the price varies almost nil- the same EB I bought my GSPro from was srelling the original, ancient model for the same price). The version number will vary, however (it should be listed on a small sticker on the outside of the cart), but the one i personally use is a ver. 3.3. Anything highr than that should be fine; anything lower, I can't recommend personally.

2. After you've gotten past the money-speding portions of the operation, you need to learn how to use the GS. First, plug in the GS to the N64, put Goldeneye in on top. Once you've set up your silicon stack, flip the thing on. The reason you'll need Goldeneye and not SSB at first is because of keycodes. Keycodes are a way for the GS to pinpoint the type of game you're using. They're divided into some pretty random categories, with each keycode allowing different games to load with the GS. Without setting the right keycode, no game will run (unless the game happens to be under the factory default keycode- Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, and a handful of others). There are a handful built into the list, but you can add a custom one if needed. What we need to do is go to the Keycodes menu from the main menu, and select the second keycode down (the one which lists Diddy Kong Racing and 1080 as compatible games). You will be prompted to turn off the system and replace the game; do so, inserting SSB and restarting. For whatever lame reason, this step has to be done everytime you want to use the GameShark. Also, be careful when setting the keycode; setting the wrong one by mistake would suck, unless you have a game that fits that keycode.

3. Now comes the real work- we're going to start actually adding codes to the GS. From the main menu, go to "Select Cheat Codes"; from here, select Super Smash Bros. from the list (it should be built into the list already; if not, go to the top and select "Add new Game", then Add SSB). Now comes the coding.

First, you'll need to enter the Master Code or Enable Code, which MUST be switched on or else no other codes will work. (If your GS already has this code built in under the SSB. code listing, you can skip this part). The key listing for buttons and functions scrolls across the bottom of the screen; make a note of it. Now, select Add New Cheat to enter the Code Creation screen. From here, highlight the code name field and press A, and use the onscreen keyboard to type in Master Code. Press B to apply the change. Now, select the code window on the left and press A again, then use the onscreen keyboard to enter in the following code: F10396B0 2400, and press B. Then press down to scroll to the next line (this is the first of a few occassions where the codes will need to be composed of 2 lines or more), and enter: DE000400 0000, and press B again to apply. Now exit, and at the code listing screen, press A. This toggles the code on and off. Highlighted codes activate when the game is started. This particular code MUST always be activated when starting. Later on, we'll be entering codes called Activators, that allow you to toggle a code on and off during the game, with the press of a button (or two). That's the next step.

4. Now that you've got the Master Code stored and should now have a clue as to what you're doing when it comes to programming your GS, you can now move on to actual enhancements. First let me explain what they do. The first type of code we'll be entering is called an Activator Code. Activator codes are basically codes that activate another code, only once, when a certain button or buttons is pressed. Example: Say you're running low on health in Goldeneye, and you have an Activator Code turned on, attached to a code that refills health, assigned to the L Button. Just press L, and the health bar refills! Very useful.

Programming an Activator Code isn't nearly as complicated as it seems- it only takes 2 lines of code. You create a new code, name it, then enter in the code for the Activator. The code structure will look like this: 00000000 00??. It's the same as any other code, except for the ?s, which indicate where you tell the GS what button to assign the Activator to. Each button on the controller has a number assigned to it, which you input. Next, you start a new line of code, and type in the code you want to be activated when the Activator is triggered (in our case, we'll be assigning them to Character Modifier and Stage Modifier codes).

There are several different types of Activators: Activator 1, Activator 2, and Dual or 16-bit Activator. The non-16-Bit Activators only work on Player 1's controller, but you can arrange it so a button press on P1's controller affects everyone else as well- which is one of the things we'll be doing. 16-bit Activators, however, have different variations for all 4 controllers, so everyone can assign Activators to them and act independantly. These are the types we'll use for selecting secret characters; so that way, everyone can select their own characters (these are the codes that won't work without an Expansion Pak, which is why you need to have one). The way I've set the controls, the Activators are set to react to a 2-button press: the L and D-pad buttons; they are meant to be pressed at the Character Select screen in VS. Mode. Pick any character, then press any one of a few different button-press combinations, hold it, then press Start to advance to the Stage Select screen, and let go. After that comes the Stage Select part. But for now, we'll deal with the Character Modifiers.

To enter in a complete "Character Activator", just type in all the lines of code listed below. Be warned though- each player has 4 extra characters, each of which need to be coded in with two lines of code each, so you're going to be adding 16 new enhancements total, which will take awhile. The reason for the two lines of code is due to the structure of Activator Codes: they activate the code entered directly beneath it. In this case, the second line of code is the Character Modifier code; there are different variations of addresses and values for each of these codes, which is why there's so much of it- as of right now, only one line of code can be read for each Activator (otherwise, this would be a lot simpler).

Note that the names are optional; I just used the names that I used originally on my own GS; you can type in anything you want. Also, see the end of this article for diagrams and lists to help you keep track of the Activators and their buttons/usage; also included is a list of the values of characters and stages, used with the Character Modifier and Stage Modifier codes. So if you want to be bold and try mixing/matching the characters, feel free.

Name Code Notes
    P1 16-bit Act. (Met. Mario) D1045188 0820

800A4D2B 000D
    P1 16-Bit Act. (Mas. Hand) D1045188 0120 Damage is counted as HP- when MH dies,

800A4D2B 000C the game WILL freeze. It's worth it, though
    P1 16-Bit Act. (Giant D.K.) D1045188 0220

800A4D2B 001A
    P1 16-Bit Act. (Poly Team) D1045188 0420 The 14 on the end means that you'll wind

800A4D2B 0014 up as the Cap. Falcon Polygon (See below
    P2 16-Bit Act. (Met. Mario) D109EFAC 0820 for a value/character list to customize Polys)

800A4D9F 000D
    P2 16-Bit Act. (Mas. Hand) D109EFAC 0120

800A4D9F 000C
    P2 16-Bit Act. (Giant D.K.) D109EFAC 0220

800A4D9F 001A
    P2 16-Bit Act. (Poly Team) D109EFAC 0420

800A4D9F 0014
    P3 16-Bit Act. (Met. Mario) D109EFB4 0820

800A4E13 000D
    P3 16-Bit Act. (Mas. Hand) D109EFB4 0120

800A4E13 000C
    P3 16-Bit Act. (Giant D.K.) D109EFB4 0220

800A4E13 001A
    P3 16-Bit Act. (Poly Team) D109EFB4 0420

800A4E13 0014
    P4 16-Bit Act. (Met. Mario) D109EFBC 0820

800A4E87 000D
    P4 16-Bit Act. (Mas. Hand) D109EFBC 0120

800A4E87 000C
    P4 16-Bit Act. (Giant D.K.) D109EFBC 0220

800A4E87 001A
    P4 16-Bit Act. (Poly Team) D109EFBC 0420

800A4E87 0014

So what does it all mean? During the game, these "Character Activators" are told to activate when the right combinations of buttons are pressed- and ONLY while those buttons are pressed. Normally, the code would deactivate after the button is released- but, when entered at the Character Select screen, by holding the right combination of buttons down and pressing Start to advance to the Stage Select, the code is then locked in for the next match. Why, who knows. But it works.

5. Now that you've entered the codes... you'll need to deactivate them. Unless you do, the game will freeze up every time the match ends. Why? Because the game wasn't programmed with VS. Mode data for these characters. So, how do we get around having to reset the system, set the keycode, and reload the game, after every match? We use ANOTHER Activator, to be activated during the match, which will change all the in-game characters into normal characters, that the Results screen will recognize (in this example, we'll be using Captain Falcon). Like our Character Activator, this will be locked in, this time during the actual match. At the end of the match, using some clever coding trickery to fool the game, it won't freeze; instead, it will load a Results screen with four Captain Falcons! (you can change the character if you like, to any other normal character, and i'll explain how later.... but come on, do you really wanna see four ugly D.K. mugs staring at you..?)

Unlike the 16-Bit Activators, however, the type we'll use this time is an Activator 1, using only 1-button presses- namely, Z on Player 1's controller. What winds up happening is, as long as Player 1 presses Z at any time during the match, the code will be activated and stored, and ready for the Results screen.

Below are the Activators and their corresponding codes, used to pull off this trick. And you're in luck this time: you only need to enter four enhancements this time around. But if you REALLY wanna go all-out, you can look up the Activators and codes for all four players to control the "Falcon Switch" trick, even set them up for use with any button press...but that's a little too desperately bored for my taste.

Name Code Notes
    Activator 1 P1 (P1) D009EFA4 0020

800A4D2B 0007
    Activator 1 P1 (P2) D009EFA4 0020

800A4D9F 0007
    Activator 1 P1 (P3) D009EFA4 0020 07 is the value for Falcon. See below for

800A4E13 0007 the character/value list for Character Mod.'s
    Activator 1 P1 (P4) D009EFA4 0020

800A4E87 0007

And that's it. Now you can start setting up Metal Mario vs Master Hand bouts, or Everyone vs. Giant D.K. brawls. Or my personal favorite- 4-player Master Hand slap-offs!!! One of the coolest side-effects of the Character Modifier code is that, without adding additional coding to change this, every character has the same clothing- so after the match, four blue Falcons will be shown- if you want, you can make the next match a Captain Falcon clone war (the same holds true for the other characters, too).

During a match with the secret characters, notice the bizzarely well-programmed actions and reactions; each character has every ingredient (animations, sounds) found in the 1P mode (aside from the end match data) perfectly functioning in VS. Mode....almost as if they may have been originally intended to be playable characters...hmmm....it's cool to watch. They even have their animations from the start of a match in Story Mode- Master Hand still takes an additional couple of seconds to start, with his long, drawn-out little intro. Go wild, be creative; just remember the rules- the character button combos, pressing Z during a match, etc. Once you've had your fill, move on to the next section to learn how to add some shiny new stages for your new toys to play in.

6. Now comes the second part of the operation- adding extra stages. Just like the "Character Activator" codes, we'll be using Activators to enable the extra stages; in fact, the same 16-Bit Activators; but these will be activated at the Stage Select screen, and use different, 1-button combinations. Also, I've only listed the code needed to allow Player 1's controller to activate the extra stages; again, you can go research the proper Activator and Stage Select Codes to allow all 4 players to choose, but expect another huge batch of enhancements to add in. The following list will allow access to the Metal Mario stage, Race to the Finish Bonus Stage (with real Racing to Finish action!), Fighting Polygon stage, How to Play stage (only accessible with 2 players), and 2 Beta Kirby stages never used in the final game- they are GLITCHY though; they'll freeze whenever someone dies. Still good for a laugh, though. Again, these codes are activated in the same way as the Character Select codes, except they control which stage is selected at the Stage Select screen, using 1-button combinations. Also, you don't neseccarily need to use the "Z Activator" during a match; the game won't freeze at the end of a match on a secret stage, so long as there weren't any secret characters in that match.

The stages/codes are listed below, in the order i just listed them (see below for a list of values for stages)

Name Code
    16-Bit Act. P1(Met. Lev) D1045188 0008

800A4D09 000D
    16-Bit Act. P1(Race Lev) D1045188 0002

800A4D09 000F
    16-Bit Act. P1(Poly Lev) D1045188 0004

800A4D09 000E
    16-Bit Act. P1(HTP. Lev)2 Player D1045188 0001

800A4D09 000B
    16-Bit Act. P1(Bet1 Lev)Glitchy!! D1045188 0020

800A4D09 0009
    16-Bit Act. P1(Bet2 Lev)Glitchy!! D1045188 0010

800A4D09 000A

And that's all. Player 1 can now access an additional six stages not found in the original VS. Mode. Just hold the right button down at the Stage Select screen, press Start to begin the match, and release. And trust me, they're all worth checking out, if not playing.

So now you have a step-by-step guide to programming a GameShark, so that even someone who has never touched a GameShark in his/her life, can learn enough to be able to program some of the coolest stuff possible for Super Smash Bros. But SSB is just one game that can be enhanced with the GameShark; almost every game, on almost every system in the past decade, has either a GameShark, Pro Action Replay, Game Genie, Code Breaker, or other type of cheat device. Any game release on a system with a compatible cheat device, can be changed somehow, since all it really does is read values in the game's code (every game on earth has some sort of values used to keep track of things such as ammo, health, etc.) and alters them. FPS's and Fighting games tend to have some particularly cool enhancements available for them. Just on N64 alone, there are a multitude of awewome stuff that can be done in some games; greatly increasing their replay value. For instance, Goldeneye has a "Walk through Walls" code, which allows players to access the parts of multiplayer levels that are normally blocked off.

It's cool stuff like this that makes a cheat device worth having, not as much the actual "cheating" aspect of it. And with the DIRT-cheap price tags attached to even the highest-end GameSharks and Code Breakers released for older consoles (5 bucks for the newest version of GameShark Pro, folks), there isn't much excuse for any self-respecting gamer who gets bored with their games quickly (and has some free time) shouldn't own one of them. Codes aren't hard to find. There are online communities of people dedicated to squeezing the most out of their cheat devices, and this is where you can expect to find all the latest enhancements, hacked by some of the best Shark hackers around.

A quick note about online play: From my testing, I've found these codes to be 100% COMPATIBLE with Project 64 and Project 64k, the most commonly used online/offline N64 emulators (with GS features). So if you're into the online emulated SSB. scene (and your video card and Internet connection are beefy enough to handle it at a decent speed), feel free to try out some codes on the Net. Surprise your online rival at your next match by starting as Metal Mario; scare the hell out of him by appearing as Master Hand, complete with the original, evilly-laughing intro. Just make sure you have a copy of the original cart, for god's sake; just because Nintendo is allergic to the Internet, is no reason to take money away from them....

Below is the Reference section. Here there are diagrams to help keep track of the control layout I've set up, as well as value lists to let you to customize some of the options and controls. If you have any questions, or are having problems getting something to work, feel free to PM me from the Community section here, or drop me an email @ pixelSHREDDER@hotmail.com

Character Select/Stage Select Button Guide

Values for Character Modifiers (from Steps 4 and 5) Syntax: 00000000 00??

00- Mario
    01- Fox
    02- DK
    03- Samus
    04- Luigi
    05- Link
    06- Yoshi
    07- C. Falcon
    08- Kirby
    09- Pikachu
    0A- Jigglypuff
    0B- Ness
    0C- Master Hand
    0D- Metal Mario
    0E- Polygon Fighter #1
    0F- Polygon Fighter #2
    10- Polygon Fighter #3
    11- Polygon Fighter #4
    12- Polygon Fighter #5
    13- Polygon Fighter #6
    14- Polygon Fighter #7 (C. Falcon)
    15- Polygon Fighter #8
    16- Polygon Fighter #9
    17- Polygon Fighter #10
    18- Polygon Fighter #11
    19- Polygon Fighter #12
    1A- Giant D.K.

Values for Level Modifier (from Step 6) Syntax: 00000000 00??

00-07- Normal Stages
    08- Mushroom Kingdom
    09-0A- Kirby Beta Stages
    0B- How to Play Stage
    0C- ?
    0D- Metal Mario Stage
    0E- Fighting Polygon Team Stage
    0F- Race to the Finish Bonus Stage
    1A- Master Hand Stage

To learn more about using cheat devices, codes, and hacking games to create your own codes, visit www.gameshark.com, or www.cmgsccc.com. Both sites have some valuable info, which was used to help write this article (which should be obvious from my shameless plugging).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------