Thread: USPS query - they don't have some Priority boxes anymore?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default USPS query - they don't have some Priority boxes anymore?

No, I am not complaining, however this struck me as odd.

I went to the post office today to ship last week's auctions. As usual, I formed in line, and I asked for some priority boxes to ship the items in. I normally ask for a certain size, which is about the size of a videotape. Nothing fancy.

Well, the clerk told me they don't have any in the size I needed, and that the USPS headquarters said they weren't allowed to ask for or have any on the premises anymore, and that I (the user) have to order them from the USPS website.

Personally, I think this is a stupid move by the USPS - I don't mind asking for supplies on the website (heck, I'm doing it right now), it just surprised me to see that they would do something like this out of the blue. I see no real reason for them to not have smaller-sized priority boxes there, but I dunno.

Anyway, has anyone noticed this at their local post office? Or heard of the reason why this happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

It is funny that you should bring this up, because I was very tempted to start a thread on this very topic about a week ago. I have been having the same problem. I went to one post office here on campus and they told me that they had nothing. I went to a second post office downtown and was told that yes, they had a few, but that they were for customers only (what the fuck am I then?). I went to a third contract post office that no one goes to (very bad post office) and they had a few for me, and then I went to the main branch downtown and got a few more. In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered some online. I know what boxes you are talking about, and they are quite handy.

It definitely seems to me that they are phasing out carrying these in the offices and making people order them online. I am not sure why though, since they pay for the shipping to send them to you. I would think that they would want to make it as easy as possible to get PM boxes so that you don't go to FedEx or UPS.

Chris

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Exactly! That's the reason why that struck me as odd. Not providing customers with supplies is... just stupid.

My guess is they're trying to -force- customers to buy their insanely overpriced ReadySHIP-branded items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jibba is 100% correct. The USPS is doing this to try to get people to order their supplies online or over the phone. It sucks, and they are assuming that every person knows how to use the internet well or enjoys selecting through a million options over the phone.

It also makes it tough on people who don't need 50-100 of the same sized box. The post office down the street from me stopped carrying the large-sized flat rate box, and because it'll take me 20 years to go through 50, I simply grabbed enough to last a year or two at a different office.

I have found that if you go to your city's main branch or Air-Mail Facility, they will be more accomodating and have more supplies out in the open.
    ________
    Vaporizer Guide
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I moved to the town I live in 2 years ago next month. When I first moved here I couldn't believe the post office. They wouldn't give out any boxes or labels. They said that they were worried that people would "steal" them and use them for something other than priority mail. My old post office used to give me boxes and labels all of the time.

I guess that all post offices are getting crappy like this.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but I understand why:

The physical post office you go to in your town has an admittedly limited space to carry "free" boxes and supplies. (Yes, I know they have a frickin' warehouse for the parcels in the back....bear with me.) When they had stacks of Priority Mail boxes, it wasn't unusual for me to go in and grab 50-100 at a time. However, there are a lot of eBay retailers in town, and I think we'd empty them out pretty often. This was probably the same countrywide.

So now, they dole them out one at a time (the most I can walk out with is 5). This cuts down on them going through them like a bat out of hell and saves some for the grandmother wanting to mail out Jimmy's birthday gift.

Also, free boxes = free cardboard for whatever else you wanted them for. So people were using them as floor mats; to box up stuff around the house; for Tommy's fort in his bedroom; whatever.

Look, I order all of my boxes online. It doesn't talk a rocket scientist to do it. If you're posting here, you're certainly bright enough how to figure out a FREE shipping website. In my basement, I have about 100 of each style of box. Cost me nothing but 10 minutes at a website. So go to it.

Now, when they discontinued carrying the free Priority Mail packing tape - THAT hurt. That stuff was great to ship with. But , same problem, people were grabbing a dozen rolls then using it as glorified duct tape around the house. And, I assume, tape is more expensive than boxes to manufacture.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...