Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How concerned are you in the appearance of your games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How concerned are you in the appearance of your games?

Will you only buy games with perfect labels?

Do you buy it regardless of it's cosmetic appearance?

Does writing turn you away from a game?

I don't care about the cosmetic appearance of a game as long as the label isn't ripped or there is writing on it. However, I am concerned about it getting damaged so I keep all manuals in plastic baggies so nothing spills on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: How concerned are you in the appearance of your games?

if it's cheap enough, "fair" condition is fine with me.

otherwise, I try to shoot for good to very good condition. Mint would be a bonus, but not mandatory. I've gone for ripped labels before, simply to save several bucks. It adds up.

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

I'll buy games that aren't perfect if they are cheap. Maybe even try and get a discount because of condition. But I will always try to get the best condition possible. I've also become pretty good at getting out writing and stickers as I'm sure alot of us around here have.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GiantPooka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as the label's on them and they actually play, I don't mind. I often leave stickers on if it's a cardboard box to avoid damage.
    [url="http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=70711"] PLEASE SIR DO IT FOR YOU!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I try to get carts with good labels, thats the most important thing. Stickers can be taken off with some work as long as they aren't on the label. Goo Gone is awesome at taking off stickers and residue. It cuts through the Blockbuster stuff. Writing is tough to get off. I haven't found anything to completly do it, mostly just reduce it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm to the point whether my only criteria is that I can read the label, I'm not much of a collector anymore

Back then, I just wanted the label to be full, didn't mind little rips, stains, etc

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 50TBRD
    I try to get carts with good labels, thats the most important thing. Stickers can be taken off with some work as long as they aren't on the label. Goo Gone is awesome at taking off stickers and residue. It cuts through the Blockbuster stuff. Writing is tough to get off. I haven't found anything to completly do it, mostly just reduce it.
    You are right about GooGone. Works like a dream on sticker residue, although you have to mind the game label. It can get under the label and peel it.

For permanent marker writing, I tried nail polish remover. Bad idea. It "melts" the plastic of the game case (on SNES games, anyways). Nothing terrible, but the texture of the plastic is messed up. I usually just leave marker on the game cases... until now.

Here is how you remove permanent marker: Get a dry-erase marker and trace over the writing, then wipe it off with a dry cloth. Magic! It's gone! I know, it sounds crazy, but it works. For real.

Sometimes it takes a few going-overs with the marker. It has worked on NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis, and probably every other plastic game, including on the labels themselves. Recently I did it for Quake 2 (N64) and it got rid of all the marker, but I couldn't get some very tiny marker spots out of the texture of the plastic. So I took a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (another useful cleaning tool) and rubbed it on the area in question and now the cartridge looks like new. Permanent marker completely gone, no traces whatsoever.

As far as the answer to the original post, I try to get good qualtiy if possible, but otherwise I don't care. The most important thing to me is actually having the game and being able to play it.

In a sense, I would rather have a physically busted-up copy of a game than one new sealed in a box. Because you can't play the one sealed in the box. Well, you could, but as a collector I wouldn't want to open up a fresh classic game :P Ideally, I would want 2 copies of every game... 1 sealed and 1 opened so I could play it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

The fresher the better, but it would take no label at all for me to pass on a game I've wanted... and even then I'd buy it if it was REAL cheap.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the rarer or hard to find games, I'll generally make sure the label and cart are in good or better condition. For common games, if I need it for the collection I'll usually pick it up if it has a label, I can always find another if the condition is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's almost like a soap opera where you think that everyone cares about how Kevin's adventures on eBayland goes from day to day.

There's a place for semi-regular posts like your's Kevin, it's called a diary or a blog.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You really need to make a poll for these kinds of things, but, oh well...

most of the time, yes; the appearance of games is very Important to me. I'd rather have a good-looking common game instead of a damaged, colored-on sub-par rarity (of course, price is also always important )

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anything, including non working games are good for me. always can try to be cleaned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Origionally, I didn't really care about the condition of a game that I bought. Then eventually, as I got more and more stuff, I wanted either near-mint or mint games.
    And now, I almost never buy anything unless it has the box and manual.
    I think the more one's collection mature's, the more they care about that kind of stuff. Not always the case, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as it has a readable label, I'm good. Although if I get a better label on a game than what's in my collection through buying packaged lots at the thrift, then I'll replace the old one with the new one.

Consoles and controllers, on the other hand, I prefer looking nicer, in part because they tend to be on display where I have them. Most of my consoles have been scrubbed down at least once. Controllers I clean as a matter of course, since who knows what was on the last pair of hands to touch it.
    "I've not seen such bravery!"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: How concerned are you in the appearance of your games?

Quote Originally Posted by dieourumov
    Will you only buy games with perfect labels?
    If the label is curling a bit at the edge, I guess that's OK.

Do you buy it regardless of it's cosmetic appearance?
    Nope. Not unless it is Kizuna Encounter Euro or something.

Does writing turn you away from a game?
    Yes.

I take care of games and books to make sure they don't get damaged. It follows then that I prefer to have games that haven't already suffered a fate that I would wish to avoid for them. If I can get something really cheap because it's in rough condition, I might consider it - but it would have to be a really significant saving, or else a very very rare game. Everything else, I'll just wait for a nicer one to come along.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cart games - I wilol only buy these complete, no matter what, unless its a very rare game. Condition doesnt really matter, if its complete, im happy.

Disk Games - Must be complete, 100% scratch free, again if its a very rare game I will make an exception.

PC games - I try to find old pc games complete, shape doesnt really matter.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really care. A good example is my PS1 games. I went though them last night, if they case had a bad crack in it I put it on seperate piles from the games with good cases.

I am planning on getting all new cases for the broken PS1 games. Of course if it is just a small crack I can let it go.

The one thing that bugs me more then anything is stickers. I am also going though my PS1 games and using Goo Gone on them. It works pretty good, it just takes a pretty long time for it to take really good effect.

Also writing on them bother me. I still can't think of a way to get the marker and stuff off. Now if there is any tear in the lable I buy a new copy, I just can't stand tears in the label.

I can stand it looking a little messy though but I am pretty big on wanting all my games too look perfect.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i will buy the games as long as the label in in good shape, writing or stickers on the games are ok i can get those off, but the label or box has to be in good shape.
    listen......you smell something??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im fairly picky overall.

I want my Castlevania games mint and complete whenever possible, though for very rare ones Ive bought them with worn boxes (Castlevania Commodore 64), or without box or manual (Castlevania 2 wristwatch). I cant stand for torn or tarnished labels.

My complete NES black label cartridge collection have all perfect labels, except for a small warp on the outside of Popeye's label.

Strawberry (Level 2) tornadostormxl's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont care if it is cheap it doesnt matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For carts, I am not too picky. If the price is good, I buy it if I need it for my collection. There are certain games, like my favourites, that I try to get complete and in good condition. For disc, I really like complete and if it is scratched too much, I tend to pass. As for games I buy new, I do take care of them to keep them in the best condition, but with used there is only so much love you can give a cart that is damaged