Thread: Completed another goal (56k beware)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Completed another goal (56k beware)

I got the final game in this subset today and wanted to share my joy :

This one was pretty special to me because I my first system was the SMS. I always drooled over the SegaScope games, but could never have them. Yes, it was and still is a gimmick, but it really works and was a childhood wish I was able to finally satiate almost 20 years later. Sure beats the hell out of R.O.B.

Paid too much for OutRun 3-D, but got a fair deal on the glasses themselves after a long, frustrating time of either missing or being outbid on glasses-only auctions [already had half the games by the time I got the glasses and extra copies of Missile Defense 3-D are tough to get rid of (have 2 already), so I didn't want to get them in a lot]. Didn't want a game as mediocre as OutRun 3-D to drive me nuts either, so I ponyed up. Very satisfied.

Rather than just gloat over a completed goal, I thought I'd do some screens and write-ups (shots taken through emulation of course). Forgive me if I am annoying anyone, but I'm pretty excited.

Blade Eagle 3-D

Well, the best thing I can say about this game is that, no matter how much I wanted to like it, I have to admit that it totally sucks. The 3D doesn't work too well with this one, resulting in occasional double images. It is clearly a vertical shmup, but it works within two planes on the z-axis. The biggest problem is that it is incredibly difficult to distinguish which enemies are in which plane. The idea is sound, but it wasn't really pulled off until Vertical Force on the Virtual Boy, and even then it was mediocre and harder than it needed to be. The absolute worst of the SegaScope 3-D games.

Maze Hunter 3-D

From the real stinker to quite possibly the best SegaScope game. This is an overhead maze action game in the vein of Gauntlet, though it feels a bit more like Zelda in terms of control. The main differences being that it is stage based, more action-oriented, and has a jump button. Jumping is actually one of the coolest 3D effects within any of the games as it really seems like your avatar is coming at you. Very cool. All of the purple walls in the shots have actual depth, so you work your way further into the screen through the use of tunnels. Very cool and would have been truly awesome as a two-player game.

Missile Defense 3-D

The pack-in for the SegaScope SMS set is a decent Light Phaser game that is limited in scope, but makes good use of the 3D effect. You are required to shoot every missile in each stage to avoid nuclear holocaust. The backgrounds are stationary 3D images with missiles that erratically fly over them, toward and even away from the player. There are three substages to each level which allow you to try again for any missiles missed in the prior substage. If you get hit 3 times by the missiles that come at the screen, or allow even one missile to get away after playing through the three substages, its game over. Not the greatest game, but a good choice as a pack-in demo of the technology.

OutRun 3-D

The "rare" of the group that I don't think saw a US release. OutRun 3-D is exactly what OutRun.org describes it as: A watered-down version of the original SMS game that has different stages, new tunes, less exciting graphics and the by now unmistakeable SegaScope 3-D effect. I had played it via emulation a long time before attempting to get the set and knew it was a bit of a stinker, but it really gets a far worse rap than it deserves. It plays a good game of SMS OutRun, and the 3D works pretty well, even though there could be more pseudo-scaling objects to add to any WOW factor that remains. The music is a step down from the original, only containing Magical Sound Shower, Last Wave and 3 new tracks.* Not worth what it goes for unless you want them all, but nowhere near as bad as something like Blade Eagle.

*(edited because the music is not in OutRun 2. I'm a moron.)

Poseidon Wars 3-D

An obscure one I hadn't heard of until shopping at Joe's store after acquiring the glasses. He had it in stock and mentioned that it was pretty cool, so I grabbed it (at that point OutRun 3-D was scaring me out of completing the subset). It turns out that it is one of the best games available for the glasses. Poseidon Wars is a rail shmup that requires you to move a reticule around the screen and fire at enemy planes and ships, acting as your ship's gunner. The 3D effect is very cool, as the water kind of does a line scrolling thing as you continuously move to the right. This would be a decent game in 2D, but the glasses take it to the next level. Worth every cent.

Space Harrier 3-D

Not necessarily the best game of the lot, but certainly my absolute favorite. Just as the title says, it is a version of Space Harrier in 3D. Fantastic. The problem is that when you start playing, the game is very, very framey. The original SMS version is a better game, but the 3D is incredibly cool and adds to the experience exponentially. The large spikes that come from both the top and bottom of the screen in level 2 alone are worth the price of admission. It also has pretty good music with different tracks, as opposed to a single track throughout the entire game, outside of boss battles, in the original. Not perfect by any means, but it is the main reason I wanted to get the glasses. Had to play this one.

Zaxxon 3-D

The other reason I wanted the glasses. Zaxxon is a 3D version of the arcade game that uses the z-axis intstead of an isometric view. It is broken into two types of play: space sections where enemies come at you, requiring you to adjust your altitude to hit them using a reticule that pops up when aligned; and corridor section not unlike the original arcade game filled with 3D walls, turrets and fuel drums you must shoot to stay aloft. Unfortunately, only the latter really works well, and the game is plagued a bit by double image issues that are especially prevalent in the space sections. On the bright side, the 3D is really quite cool in the corridor sections and definitely shows the power of the SMS. The frame rate makes you wonder by Space Harrier is so choppy. I am also a fan of the music. Sticks with you.

That about does it. In classic Sega tradition, the SegaScope library is heavy on arcade action and low on substance. On a whole, the games and glasses are more of a conversation piece than a great gaming experience, but it was truly ahead of its time and sadly under-supported. AfterBurner, Galaxy Force, or any other super-scaler conversion would have been a cool addition. As it stands, it is a missed opportunity, but worth the time and effort for a Sega fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, cool. Its always fun to complete a collecting/gaming goal. Those look mint, I assume they are all complete?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesome, makes me want to play those games =)

What's "R.O.B." stand for?

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congratulations! How's the 3D effect in outrun?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

First off, congratulations!

I don't want to be a dumbass, but how do those 3D glasses work? It appears that they plug into something, yet I assume you still view the game on a TV screen. I've watched a couple of auctions for just the glasses and was SHOCKED at what they went for! They can't be like those simple cheap glasses they give out at movie theaters for those prices, and yet I can't imagine that the technology to view the game on the lens of the glasses themselves was available back then.

I never would have dreamed I would eventually buy SMS games, but R-Type and Power Strike finaly drew me in and I bought a power base convertor to play them on. Don't know if the glasses work with the convertor or not. I also picked up Missile Defense and Zaxxon 3D, so I'm curious as to what effect the glasses would have on the games. Do they make all the difference in the world when playing the 3D games, or is it more of a gimmick/minor improvement thing?

Again, my compliments on achieving your mini-collection!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what are the songs in "Outrun 3-D" that appear in Outrun 2?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749
    Robotic Operating Buddy

Congrats on the subset!
    http://www.maximumcrowe.net/maximumc...outhpark3.jpeg

I bet Tugger wants to hear a song off me new album!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749
    Robotic Operating Buddy

Congrats on the subset!
    http://www.maximumcrowe.net/maximumc...outhpark3.jpeg

I bet Tugger wants to hear a song off me new album!

Insert Coin (Level 0) playgeneration's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You still have one more game left to get, Line of Fire. You wouldnt know from the cover but it does support 3D glasses.Theres a not very secret code (its in the games manual) that lets you unlock the 3D mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    I don't want to be a dumbass, but how do those 3D glasses work? It appears that they plug into something, yet I assume you still view the game on a TV screen.
    Yeah, they plug into the card slot on a Master System, or the card slot on a Power Base v.1.

Never used them, so I couldn't even tell you what it's like though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playgeneration
    You still have one more game left to get, Line of Fire. You wouldnt know from the cover but it does support 3D glasses.Theres a not very secret code (its in the games manual) that lets you unlock the 3D mode.
    Wow. Thank you for the tip! Just played it via emulation and it is obvious that it is a 3D game. Have to get it and post pictures! Learn something new every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi
    Those look mint, I assume they are all complete?
    They actually are all complete and mint. For some parts of my collection, i.e. Genesis, I have mostly cart-only games, but I really wanted a killer set of these. I am especially happy with the OutRun 3-D, as it is truly minty fresh. That somewhat justifies the premium price. Unfortunately, I do not have the box for the glasses. I almost wish I did now that I have such nice copies of the games. Didn't want to spend the extra dough.

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    How's the 3D effect in outrun?
    It is actually pretty good. The background really looks like it is in the distance, while your car looks like it is close-up in the foreground. The various trees and signs, as well as the other cars pop out at you. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    I don't want to be a dumbass, but how do those 3D glasses work?... Don't know if the glasses work with the convertor or not. I also picked up Missile Defense and Zaxxon 3D, so I'm curious as to what effect the glasses would have on the games. Do they make all the difference in the world when playing the 3D games, or is it more of a gimmick/minor improvement thing?
    As mentioned before, the interface unit plugs into the card slot with a wire running to the glasses. Without the glasses, the 3D games are nauseating, as there are two images, left and right, that constantly flicker back and forth. The glasses themselves have LCD shutters that basically blink your eyes in an alternating fashion. The combination of the two creates a stereoscopic effect not unlike a Magic Eye or the art from the new Tool album. It is a flicker-filled situation, and really justifies a seizure warning, but it is tolerable and worth it for the effect. It is way beyond the old red/blue cardboard specs, and wasn't totally new in the late 80's, but it was way too expensive for my blood at the time. I believe the glasses alone retailed for $59.99 back in 1987, so getting a working pair for $30-40 bucks almost 20 years later is actually a really good deal. I paid at least double for the 90% useless (though entirely necessary) R.O.B. for the NES than what I paid for the glasses, and they are infinitely more satisfying.

The glasses definitely work with the PBC through the card slot. That is actually how I am playing right now as I no longer have my Master System, though I did pick one up for a good price on eBay and it is in transit. 3D games REQUIRE the glasses for the most part, though I think they all have a 2D mode available through a not so secret code. All of the games are better with the 3D effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    So what are the songs in "Outrun 3-D" that appear in Outrun 2?
    There aren't any. I confused OurRun 3-D's "Shining Wind" with OutRun 2's "Shiny World". Made the requisite changes in my original post. Need to fact check myself a bit better before I go spouting off nonsense.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The auction for the boxed glasses I saw on Ebay ended at around $100, which really shocked me. I assumed they were like the red/blue paper ones, only with a much nicer frame and I couldn't understand what the heck the wire was for. I appreciate the excellant explanation of how they work, Klausien! LCD shutters? Wow, I never would have thought that's what they were. That's pretty amazing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    Quote Originally Posted by playgeneration
    Wow. Thank you for the tip! Just played it via emulation and it is obvious that it is a 3D game. Have to get it and post pictures! Learn something new every day...
    I expirienced the same thing when I was trying to get all of the games with Super Scope compatibiltity for the SNES. I had all of them until I found out about Wild Guns. I was using an incomplete list that I found on the internet from a site other than the DP site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very cool write up about the games. Huge congrats on completing the subset.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Topic is dead, yes, but I received Line of Fire today and will be posting impressions, pictures and screens in the original post after playing a bit more.