Thread: Voltage and Games: Two questions about Famicom (JP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Voltage and Games: Two questions about Famicom (JP)

Well since I'm visiting Japan and I'm kind of a hardcore NES fan, I broke down and bought an original '83 Famicom. Games here are usually very cheap, typically between $1 and $5, so it's been cost effective so far. But, now on to the questions:

1. All of the familiar RF problems aside, my main question is about voltage. Will I need a volt converter for when I return to the states? I'd rather not destroy my investment by a power surge as soon as I plug it in.

2. I'd also like some recommendation of some Famicom games. I know my NES, but I'm a little more rusty on the JP side of things. Specifically I'd like to know about good games which haven't been released stateside and aren't very text-heavy or dependent (my favorites are usually platformers or shmups). I know some Japanese, but not enough to play Final Fantasy III. =)

Thanks for help!
    "You think you're cool, but you're just plain dumb!"
    --Black Manta (ninja)

<a href=http://www.rookjones.blogspot.com>Point Zero Zero: Journeys and Whimseys</a>

<a href=http://www.xanga.com/rookjones>An account of my travels in Japan

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

a few that are easy to pick up and play

gestufuu maden: castlevaniaish sidescroller, kinda hard but fun

holy diver: same as above but harder
    atlantis no nazo: interesting sidescrolling quest game, was going to be released here as super pitfall2, lots of fun.

wai wai world 1 and 2: games that mix together alot of konami charecters together.

twinbee 1-3 : fun shooters
    gradius 2: awesome shooter never released in the states
    parodius: see above
    crisis force: again see above (i think this one is pricey)
    elrond: basicly wizards and warriors but quite a bit different then the us version.
    challenger : old style action game
    theres also a ton of "kunio" games that didn't make it over to the us that are alot of fun, you'd know them as river city ranson and super dodgeball,

that should get you started :-)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

oh and to answer your other question, a genesis ac adaptor (model 1) will work just fine, i've never had a problem with mine and i've used it for years.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent, I've seen Parodius and plan on picking that one up (I previously knew about it anyway), and I think I've seen some of those other ones. I believe TwinBee 1 was released in the US as Stinger though, right?

Also, I'd really like to know if the regular Famicom AC Adapter will work in the states, since most likely that's all I'm going to have access to this summer. Thank you, though.
    --Black Manta (ninja)

<a href=http://www.rookjones.blogspot.com>Point Zero Zero: Journeys and Whimseys</a>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rook_Jones
    Also, I'd really like to know if the regular Famicom AC Adapter will work in the states, since most likely that's all I'm going to have access to this summer. Thank you, though.
    Japan consoles are typically 100V/50-60Hz, so US power is a little different. I use a step up with my stuff when I am in the US, but I'm a little paranoid. You're 99.99% unlikely to burn out a power supply with that small voltage difference.

Plugs are same as a US ungrounded 2 prong adaptor.

Long story short, you're golden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

I strongly suggest you track down a Famicom Disk System. And then a replacement belt when you buy a FDS without one.

Then buy SMB 2 (the Japanese one), the FDS SMB 1 (with the different Minus World), Vs. Excitebike, Kaettekia Mario Bros., Egger Land (Lolo with a slight twist), and Almana no Kiseki (an Indiana Jones-like adventure from Konami).

Other cartridge games to get include: Hitler no Fukkatsu, The Goonies, Devil World, and Contra (which has some added touches not in the NES version).
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id have skipped the Famicom and gotten a Sharp Twin Famicom. But thats just me

Grab the Japanese version of Contra if you can, lots of extras and a special chip for improved graphic effects.

Same for Akumajo Densetsu, massively better than Castlevania 3 due to the VRC6 chip.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Long story short, you're golden
    Good, that's what I wanted to hear.

I strongly suggest you track down a Famicom Disk System. And then a replacement belt when you buy a FDS without one.
    Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for one of these? Very tempting, to be sure. I'd like to own "Doki Doki Panic," no idea how rare it is, though.

Other cartridge games to get include: Hitler no Fukkatsu, The Goonies, Devil World, and Contra (which has some added touches not in the NES version).
    Hitler no Fukkatsu. Actually I prefer the "oh my gosh it's actually HITLER! And he cussed and his head exploded!" feeling from the US version, which I own. Proudly.

Same for Akumajo Densetsu, massively better than Castlevania 3 due to the VRC6 chip.
    Yes I've heard this, I've been keeping my eyes out...actually I saw it once for 1000 yen, but I'm gonna try to find it cheaper first. Prices tend to differ between stores, seemingly at random...

Thanks all! And I have one more question: I've heard about the whole RF Difficulty issue, so can any of you point me to a mod or whatever in case I need to go down that path? Hopefully I won't, but just in case.
    --Black Manta (ninja)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not sure if this will help, but

I used to own an original famicom system with RF out only, it wouldnt work on my TV at all. I had an All in Wonder Pro card at the time in my PC, and it had an option to function with the Japanese RF signals, and worked pretty well.