Thread: Will Mario Kart (SNES) on VC be playable online via the Wii?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will Mario Kart (SNES) on VC be playable online via the Wii?

Ok, one thing that does really excite me about the Nintendo Wii, is the possibility that Nintendo could add some code to some of their classic games for 8-bit and 16-bit, etc, etc, so some of these games can now be played online, and also, so some of these games don't have to use any split screen mode in a 2 player game, etc.

Imagine playing Super Mario Kart for the SNES, and be able to race other players online! That would be sweet! Or how about 2 player mode in Contra: Alien Wars? Or maybe some F-Zero for the SNES, with multiplayer and each player having a full screen? How about NBA Live '95 (SNES) and being able to play that online?

I'm kinda worried that Nintendo won't really think about this. Or they won't think that it would be worth the time involved to patch the old games for online play, or they might even worry that it would be "too" much fun, and that people would end up just playing the Virtual Console and not playing alot of Wii games?

Also, I really hope that Nintendo comes out with Wii compatible replica controllers for the NES, SNES and Nintendo 64. I know they have that one multipurpose controller to use with VC, but I would rather have them make wireless replica's for all their classic systems, and maybe work out deals with Sega and NEC and Hudson to have replica's of the Genesis and TG-16 controllers as well. That would really enhance the whole Virtual Console concept. But for me, it's really about whether or not I'm going to be able to play somebody head to head in Mario Kart SNES online. That's the biggie right there. If they don't allow that, then I'm going to be pissed. I'd much rather play the real game on a real SNES, but if I can race other people online in a classic game of Mario Kart, that would actually drive me to purchase a Wii and hopefully a replica wireless SNES controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd assume so... The actual games\roms don't need to be changed in any way, and it wouldn't really be that much trouble for them to implement a simple network multiplayer setup, so I guess it all comes down to whether they simply choose to do it or not.

As a side note, ZSNES has internet multiplayer support, and I actually played through Secret of Mana recently with a friend of mine over the net. Doing so with the Wii would be sweeeeet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seriously doubr Nintendo will put the effort forth to do this. Chances are we're just gonna get straight ports ofthe games and nothing else.

I also doubt we'll see first party replica controllers. Maybe some third party companies will make them, but that's still a long shot.

You gotta remember, the Wii is sort of a budget console from Nintendo. It doesn't have a lot of the flashy features that the others have and its basically aimed at the casual players.

From everything that's been said by Nintendo this doesn't seem to be a console intended to put them back on top of videogame moutain. So I would be that it's highly unlikely anything extra like online play for the classic stuff and half a dozen console specific controllers will be added.

Besides, why would you want to play SNES Mario Kart online when the Wii version will most likely feature online play and more stuff in the way of tracks, carts, items and the such?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why do you ask so many questions that you know full well can't be answered with any certainty.

As for your question, Nintendo has said it's a possibility. That's the best answer you're going to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Mario Kart SNES online would be great, but I'd rather have SFII turbo, and MK II online. The thing is, Xbox is already doing this.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think if you see Microsoft do that with their set up and Sony does something similar, Nintnedo will have to.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81

Besides, why would you want to play SNES Mario Kart online when the Wii version will most likely feature online play and more stuff in the way of tracks, carts, items and the such?

Why? Because SNES Mario Kart is the most pure fun packed into a cartridge that I've ever seen. PURE FUN BABY!!! Sure, future versions can have improved graphics, etc, etc, but none have the pure soul that the SNES version has. N64 Mario Kart was pretty good, but can't carry the SNES versions jock strap, and the Cube version was a dissapointment, at least for me. I like the purity of the SNES version, and would much rather play that online till my thumbs bled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anthony already hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer regarding Mario Kart, but there are also countless other games which would be awesome online: Contra III, SFII, Secret of Mana... hell, I'd even play 2-player Mario World with a buddy over the net just for old times sake! Of course, that's only counting the SNES, because don't forget that we'll also be getting NES, N64, Megadrive and TurboGrafx 16 games as well.

Nintendo are already planning to implement internet functionality for their Wii and its games, so adding a few lines of code in order to send, receive and synchronize data from some relatively simple old games wouldn't be too much trouble. They'd need to use some sort of game-independant friend code\IP method to allow for direct connection between Wiis (...) in order to simplify things, but other than that its doable.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could you imagine 5 player Dungeon Explorer action for the TurboGrafx-16? That would be totally amazing. 5 different players from around the world getting down in one of the coolest pseudo action/rpg gauntlet type games of all time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

If Nintendo DOES offer online play for their VC titles, I'll be suprised and impressed. But I don't think this is going to happen.

I can't remember or site the source, but I thought I remember reading sometime back that the VC titles will be unchanged from their original release meaning that no graphical, audio, or feature set enhancements could be expected. Online play included.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You misread, Nintendo has stated the exact opposite, they've said graphical updates and internet play could happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can only pray that this happens.

In my mind, the 4.50-8.99 price is WAAAY too high.

Think of iTunes. They found the perfect rpice point at .99. Any more and people will pirate the songs.

At 8.99 I see a lot of people saying, "I can just Emu" or pirating the images some way when it's eventually figurred out.

Sans new additions, I think the VC games are worth no more that 1.99. Multiplayer Mario Kart is worth 8.99 and more easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    You misread, Nintendo has stated the exact opposite, they've said graphical updates and internet play could happen.
    Would you site your source?
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

YOU ARE FORGETTING METAL WARRIORS.

Smashin mechs all over the place one on one, oh baby that would rock online!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seriously doubr Nintendo will put the effort forth to do this. Chances are we're just gonna get straight ports ofthe games and nothing else.
    You haven't played both the NES and GBA versions of Mario, right? They changed many, many things in them.

As for straight ports of older titles, are you referring to how Nintendo handled the GameCube's Zelda Collector's Edition disc? They had unmolested versions of the original NES and N64 games but also there was that "Master's Quest" for Ocarina they snuck out with the preorder disc for Wind Waker.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Gimme the option to play some old school non-split screen online 2 player action and I'll be buying a Wii. No doubt about it. Heck, even split screen is fine with me but I'd really prefer full screen.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sph1nx
    I can only pray that this happens.

In my mind, the 4.50-8.99 price is WAAAY too high.

Think of iTunes. They found the perfect rpice point at .99. Any more and people will pirate the songs.

At 8.99 I see a lot of people saying, "I can just Emu" or pirating the images some way when it's eventually figurred out.

Sans new additions, I think the VC games are worth no more that 1.99. Multiplayer Mario Kart is worth 8.99 and more easily.
    Whoa, wait. N has confirmed the price? Why did I miss this? And... er... almost ten bucks. That's not very nice.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

They kind of did for Japan with games costing from 500 to 1000 Yen (about $4.50 and $9.00).

But there's been some speculation that the translation may have been botched and Iwata was referring to new content on the VC and not "retro" games at that price point.

Pretty much bets are off until Nintendo confirms anything officially, but those price points look like good indicators.

I too was hoping for a $0.99 a pop approach. Especially if no improvements are scheduled or planned for older content.
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They should have two pricing schemes. One would be for games that are just rom's - these would be cheap because its easy to produce them, and if they're not cheap, people will just emu them on their PC/xbox/whatever for free. I'd pay up to $2.50 for a game in this category.

The other price point should be for games with new content. Either games that need translation to English, have added internet capabilities, or new levels. These would cost more because of the time and staff needed to add the content. With this category, depending on the game and what was added, I'd pay 8 or so dollars.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah I see, here's hoping for a bad tranlastion.

Agreed, new content is a must if we're going to be paying 10 bucks (CDN$). Then again, it's better than the cost of the NES collection on the GBA. That was disgusting.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com