Thread: Break em All DS, how is it ?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Break em All DS, how is it ?

Thanks for your opinions, I just wanted to see what the folks here think of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I was going to start a thread on this the other day. I had a pretty lengthy post going, and my browser crashed. I was too pissed to write it up again.

It has a unique power up system for a brick basher. Before you start you chose from sets of two power ups, fast or slow, wide paddle or thin paddle (bonus points for thin paddle), laser or bomb, stuff like that. There are about six choices in power ups.

After you gain enough points the first power up is highlighted, and you can touch a bar on the touch screen to activate it. Or get more points and it changes to the next better power up, and so on until the best power up.

Neat idea for this type of game.

There are combos for more than two bricks broke at once. My biggest combo has been 58x so far.

Different colored bricks for how many times you have to hit them. Gold ones take two hits for example.

The game itself is nice and clean, the power-up effects are nice but nothing too flashy. The menu is crappy. Crappy font, crappy UI elements.

The music gets pretty annoying really fast.

But man the game is fun. It is more fun than breakout on the GBA, but not as much fun as Arkanoid. But for $20, you get a lot.

Tokoton Mode. Standard = 50 levels, Random = 3,000,000 random generated levels.

Quest Mode. Single Player = 4 levels then boss, rinse repeat. Download play = 2-4 player (one cart) whoever defeats boss first wins.

Survival Mode. Single Player = defeat all seven computer opponents. Download Play = 2-8 player (one cart) every man for himself. This mode is hard to explain, so I am not gonna try.

Protect your Life Blocks while using your Guard Blocks to defend yourself! Each paddle can only take 3 hits, so guard your center well. The right side of the Touch Screen displays rank the LCD screen displays the remaining players and radar.

Yea, thats what it says. It is demolition derby with paddles and balls. You nock balls into opponents. It is surely a unique thing to put in the game. I played it with a friend and it is OK, nothing special.

You can control your paddle with either L and R or the stylus, much better to use stylus. Power-ups are also mapped to a button. Too many times games like this force you to use the stylus, luckily this one doesn't.

Top screen displays stats.

So far I can get to level 15 in the 50 preset levels. Not that far in the random generated one. It more like breakout in difficulty than Arkanoid.

There is no options menu, another let down, so you can't change how many balls you start with, or difficulty, or music, or anything.

I am quite happy with the $20 purchase, but then I am a nut when it comes to breakout/Arkanoid clones.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked the game up today myself...not realizing that I already owned it for a while. Apparently its the same game as Simple DS Series: The Block Kuzushi in Japan which I bought last year. But meancode is right, the game is alot of fun and well worth picking up...especially for the price. Guess I can leave my copy sealed for the collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

me gusta breaK EM ALL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a good little game, cheap enough to be an impule buy and still be worth the haul. My problem is that I keep forgetting that I have it! Caught between Animal Crossing and Zoo Keeper and Pac-n-Roll and Yoshi, ya know.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I gave this a try at Game Crazy yesterday and I enjoyed ot quite a bit. What meancode says is right on the money.

The $19.99 price is tempting as well.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought this the other day and I have to say it's pretty fun. The bosses are well designed and that suprised me somewhat. The touch screen control completely made this game. It's even better than a dial! Buy it!