Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default When/how to camp for a release?

I've never seen someone doing it. When do you know it's time to set up camp? I mean how can you be so sure it's even going to sell out? Can you just go camp outside Gamestop? They don't have a problem with you laying outside their door? When should you show up? 24 hours early? 48?

I guess the Wii could sell out. Is anybody here planning to camp for it? What about the PS3? PS3 probably isn't the best example...the ghetto is sure to have a few of them sitting on the shelf for a week or two. I sure as hell didn't have a hard time finding a PSP on release day. I guess it'll just depend on your area. Probably camping is more popular in larger cities.

Please share your camping stories!

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never camped for a console before either but some tips would be nice because I REALLY want the Wii right at release if it is at all possible.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

call the store. some places dont allow you to set up camp until a certain time.

when camping out for a system i usually try and go to a Wal Mart in a rural area. For the 360 they set up a TV with some new(er) DVD releases and gave us popcorn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by milhouseOFpain

when camping out for a system i usually try and go to a Wal Mart in a rural area. For the 360 they set up a TV with some new(er) DVD releases and gave us popcorn.
    How long did you camp? What did you bring with you? Have you ever had a problem with people trying to cut in line?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: When/how to camp for a release?

If I ever got the idea in my head to camp I'd just wait by the corner and beat up whoever got the first system, then run with it

But I'm lazy, so I'll just buy one a few years from now.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is necessary to camp? I always assumed that most everyone on DP is on a first name basis with at least one local shop. (If you arent....then why the heck not? Get on it! It has privileges! ) Simply tell the guys that you want one at launch. They should put one away for you when it arrives. No standing outside at 5am with a hundred other people, hoping to get one of the ten consoles available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    (If you arent....then why the heck not? Get on it! It has privileges! )
    Actually, I'm not. No good deals for me, so I stay away. And employees change over at the local thrift every few months anyway :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why people camp for hours/days for a system when there's usually the option to pre-order. I'd much rather pre-order, then on release day simply go pick it up and be on my way. Why stand out in the cold with no guarantee you're going to get anything?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why people camp for hours/days for a system when there's usually the option to pre-order. I'd much rather pre-order, then on release day simply go pick it up and be on my way. Why stand out in the cold with no guarantee you're going to get anything?
    From what I understand, many people who preordered the X360 didn't get anything on launch day because not enough units arrived to fill the preorders. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't preordering as much of a crapshoot as anything these days?
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    From what I understand, many people who preordered the X360 didn't get anything on launch day because not enough units arrived to fill the preorders. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't preordering as much of a crapshoot as anything these days?
    When companies take a shit-ton of preorders before they have hard allocation numbers, there will be problems like the X360 launch. I think that'll change with the next 2 system realeases going forward, however.

I enjoy camping for launches. There's always an excited buzz about the line, and I like feeling that I'm part of something fun. Of course, not everyone thinks that way.

I camped for the PS2 for a co-worker. I got there about 12 hours early to get a good spot(was like 20th in line), and got a ticket the next morning to come back at opening and get one. Worked out well.

Eternal Tune, Jhikan and I camped for the X360 since the store we preordered at had no clue when they'd be able to fill our preorder. So rather than risking not having Christmas gifts, we waited. Got there about 15 hours before the store opened(10th in line or so), and had no trouble getting a system.

If you're camping outside and can bring a small tent, I'd advise it. It helps keep the cold wind off you. We would have most likely frozen to death without it for the X360 launch. Portable games are also good, as well as a cell phone or something with an alarm clock(like a DS) in case you decide to nap.

I've never camped inside so I couldn't tell you how that works.

At any rate, make sure you are prepared to secure your spot in line somehow. Organize a list and keep it for the employees or something, because people can and WILL try to force their way into line. One guy at the X360 launch made a list of everyone in order and gave it to the Best Buy employee who was running the event. A good idea, I thought.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    When companies take a shit-ton of preorders before they have hard allocation numbers, there will be problems like the X360 launch. I think that'll change with the next 2 system realeases going forward, however.
    Why do you think so?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouseOFpain

How long did you camp? What did you bring with you? Have you ever had a problem with people trying to cut in line?

camped out for about 10 hours for 360. 12 hours for PS2. maybe 2 hours for gamecube.

usually i bring a bunch of magazines, blankets if you are going to be outside of course, and a cell phone so your GF can bring you food and alcohol after the store employees leave.

people will always try to cut in line, usually they are murdered immediately and thrown in the stores dumpster round back.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Why do you think so?
    Due to the fact that they've seen what can happen if things aren't planned out correctly. And since the two biggest companies formed one entity, I think they'll be watching their asses a bit more closely this time since they've got a lot of shareholders. In all honesty though, big box stores have the right idea. Let buyers camp, take no preorders. That way if a customer doesn't get a system, the fault lies on their shoulders since they didn't get there in time. Not to mention it'll eliminate the hassle of dealing with some jackass who put money on a system 8 months prior(when no official preorders were being taken, mind you), says he'll come to get it on launch day, doesn't show, and then shows up a week later complaining that his system was sold to someone else due to his laziness. The company looks bad to the customer when they can't fulfill a pre-ordered item, regardless of the reason. It defeats the purpose of doing so entirely.

I've noticed that they(GS, EB, and GC) haven't started taking orders yet, rather opting for a 'sign up for information' form that doesn't guarantee anything other than the delivery of information. That's the sign that told me they've learned how NOT to handle system launches, and that future ones should be much smoother.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never camped, but I think I will for the Wii. It seems like a fun thing to do, and I'm sure you'd meet some intresting nerds, and just have a good time. Late fall is the rumor for the Wii still, so I know it wont be that cold. Hopefully.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drunk Billionaire's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I camped for the 360. On the 360's second worldwide shipment I read online that the Best Buys were getting them. So I went to my local best buy at around 9pm and no one was online. So I went inside the mall and got some chinese food and walked out side near the best buy entrance... the line started. I ran in line and I was already 4th in line. I called my firends and they rushed over and we waited in line. I live in new york and it was the beginning of december, we almost died of cold. One of the best experiences in my life though. It was fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Billionaire
    One of the best experiences in my life though. It was fun
    How long did you camp and what made it such a great experience?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once camped in front of a Games Workshop.

Personally I don't think that I will miss something if I don't buy a system right away at the launch.
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Why do you think so?
    Due to the fact that they've seen what can happen if things aren't planned out correctly. And since the two biggest companies formed one entity, I think they'll be watching their asses a bit more closely this time since they've got a lot of shareholders. In all honesty though, big box stores have the right idea. Let buyers camp, take no preorders. That way if a customer doesn't get a system, the fault lies on their shoulders since they didn't get there in time. Not to mention it'll eliminate the hassle of dealing with some jackass who put money on a system 8 months prior(when no official preorders were being taken, mind you), says he'll come to get it on launch day, doesn't show, and then shows up a week later complaining that his system was sold to someone else due to his laziness. The company looks bad to the customer when they can't fulfill a pre-ordered item, regardless of the reason. It defeats the purpose of doing so entirely.

I've noticed that they(GS, EB, and GC) haven't started taking orders yet, rather opting for a 'sign up for information' form that doesn't guarantee anything other than the delivery of information. That's the sign that told me they've learned how NOT to handle system launches, and that future ones should be much smoother.
    Only problem with this logic is there have been pre-order shortages for systems as long as pre-ordering became a popular option (1999 with the Dreamcast).

On 9/9/99, I sold a ton of DC systems to people that had pre-ordered at other stores and got the shaft. I also know a number of people stiffed on the DS launch with pre-orders that weren't filled for over a month, so the 360 isn't the first time a system was over sold, just the most recent. Keep in mind, part of the 360 pre-order problems stemmed from MS playing nice with Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc where pre-orders weren't taken. It would have been easy for them to ship additional product to stores where pre-orders were back logged but it could have cost them long term in the way of shelf space & location.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

I camp out for concert tix every once in a while, and all I can say is make sure you bring more at least one person so you can take potty breaks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

The only times I waited in line for ANYTHING was when Starwars episode II, and episode III came out. When I was in HS me, and my friends thought it would be cool, but now pre ordering sounds better , and more convieniant.