Thread: PayPal Canada

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PayPal Canada

Received this email this morning from PayPal:

PayPal, Inc. is pleased to announce that we are preparing to introduce PayPal CA Limited (PayPal Canada) - a PayPal group company incorporated in Canada - as the service provider for PayPal customers in Canada. Going forward, this development will help us improve services for our Canadian customers.

We anticipate that PayPal Canada will begin operating on August 1, 2006.

Please note that no action will be necessary on your part. You will be able to continue using your PayPal account as you do today.

Your Existing Customer Relationship with PayPal

Until PayPal Canada begins operating in August 2006, your customer relationship continues to be with PayPal, Inc. (a U.S. company) under the PayPal User Agreement, which is governed by California law.

A New Customer Relationship with PayPal

With the introduction of our new Canadian company, your customer relationship will automatically be transferred to PayPal Canada. We anticipate that this will occur on August 1, 2006. At that time, we will introduce minor changes to both the User Agreement and its incorporated policies, as well as to the Privacy Policy. The new User Agreement will be similar to the current Agreement, and will contain no adverse amendments from a customer's perspective. It will also no longer contain U.S.-specific references.

If you do not wish to hold a PayPal Canada account and would prefer to continue your relationship with PayPal, Inc., you may only do so if you are a resident of the United States, and if the primary address in your PayPal account as of August 1, 2006 is a legitimate postal address within the United States.

If your primary address is not in the United States, you may close your account at any time, either before or after the transition to PayPal Canada, by logging in to your PayPal account and clicking Profile. We value your business and hope you'll transfer with us to PayPal Canada, where you'll be able to use PayPal in the same way you do today.

Once the transition from PayPal, Inc. to PayPal Canada occurs, we will post updated versions of our User Agreement and its incorporated policies, as well as our Privacy Policy, to our website.

If you have any questions prior to August 1, 2006 about these upcoming changes, please contact Customer Support. You can get contact information by logging in to your PayPal account and clicking Contact Us at the bottom of your Account Overview page.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal, Inc.

So I must join PayPal Canada, or be booted from PayPal.

I smell more fees coming.
    Jason

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's funny. I didn't get an email about this (yet!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

fake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I got it as well - I doubt it's fake. You don't have to do anything regardless - your account carries over. It's a move to restrict liability on the part of the parent company. Makes sense to have our own Paypal.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by skaar
    I got it as well - I doubt it's fake. You don't have to do anything regardless - your account carries over. It's a move to restrict liability on the part of the parent company. Makes sense to have our own Paypal.
    Explain this then..

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?th...=1150513121118

This is not a new policy, nor is it a new chapter in the company opening up.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, since it says I don't have to do anything, I will wait to see what happens.

I know that even though I have a Canadian account, my money is still held in the US by a US source. Maybe that is all that will be changing.

Then when I withdraw, my money would come from a Canadian source. Maybe.
    Jason

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It will be interesting to see what the fees are, yeah. Although they already suck as they hose you on exchange on top of the normal fees.

It could potentially be a good thing though. Could become easy to confirm that canadian address now... might make dealing with people in the US easier.

It'll be interesting to see what happens...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    It will be interesting to see what the fees are, yeah. Although they already suck as they hose you on exchange on top of the normal fees.

It could potentially be a good thing though. Could become easy to confirm that canadian address now... might make dealing with people in the US easier.

It'll be interesting to see what happens...
    Regarless of that, it'll still cost us US people an arm and a leg to get any sort of delivery confirmation to Canada. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's your point? Buyers pay shipping costs.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I doubt most buyers would like to have their shipping cost skyrocket due to having to use Express Mail or something. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So basically, do we have to close our Paypal US account and open the new Paypal Canada account ?
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    I doubt most buyers would like to have their shipping cost skyrocket due to having to use Express Mail or something. :P
    Give me a break. I don't know how you run your auctions but I'm sure as hell not paying the buyer's shipping costs - that's their responsibility as a buyer. :P

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniperCCJVQ
    So basically, do we have to close our Paypal US account and open the new Paypal Canada account ?
    No - your existing paypal account gets rolled over into a paypal canada account. It will happen automatically.