Thread: The first truly High Def video game????

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The first truly High Def video game????

First, I would like to say that I'm sorry for doing so many posts lately. I really shouldn't be doing this post, because I've been doing too many damn posts lately, but I just got done playing a game, and I can't wait to talk about it. I think that I've just played the first, "TRUE", High Definition game. Sure, I know that a few Xbox 1 games were 720p or 1080i, and I know that all the 360 games so far are 720p, but I'm telling you, this game seems on a whole nuther level. I'm not sure what these guys did to make it happen, but this really looks like a whole new level of visual splendor.

Of course I'm talking about Prey for the Xbox 360. The Demo for Prey recently hit the Xbox 360 Marketplace, and I'm sure the whole 360 world is a buzz over this game. I don't think I've seen a game with a more spectacular use of color and textures and lighting. It's almost too much visually. It kinda reminds me of Doom 3 a little bit, but man, there is so much color and special effects and stuff going on, that it actually reminds me of something that isn't even a video game. It reminds me of the brief period of time when I owned a HD-DVD player. Yep, that's right, I actually owned one of those $500 Toshiba HD-DVD players. One of the movies that I checked out on HD-DVD was Doom, you know, starring "The Rock". Well, although that movie was pretty much a dud, it was definitely one of the more impressive HD-DVD movies that I saw, with tremendous color and detail and black level detail. Prey for the 360 really reminds me of that.

Maybe I'm just tweaking out a little bit, but believe me, it almost seems like I'm playing this game on some new system or something. There are certain hallways in Prey, with these metallic walls, and the walls look......Metallic!!!. I mean, it really, really, really looks like real metal. It's a trip. It's pretty hard to explain to somebody that isn't seeing it first hand on a pretty good HDTV running in native 720p. Right now, I have my 360 hooked up to my Princeton AF 3.0HD monitor in native 720p, and it looks absolutely ridculous, but I can't wait to hook it up to my projector. Even though my Projector is going to downscale it to 800 x 600, it should still look pretty damn amazing considering when you blow something up that large, you notice little details in the backgrounds that aren't easy to see on a smaller display.

Again, I've seen most all the 360 games released so far, and the vast majority look really good on a HDTV, especially a 720p HDTV, but this seems to be a major step above that. Anybody else notice this or am I high?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Gotta agree, it looks real slick, but to me feels too much like doom 3. I was impressed with the bar though at the beginning, so much detail...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Technically it's not the first HD game, but it damn well is one of the most visually stunning.

First there was PGR3 and it was cool, but then PGR3 wasn't god enough so we got Fight Night, then Fight Night got old so we got GRAW, not GRAW's the old news and Prey is stealing the show. It seems every few months the bar is raise quality wise and if this continues i can't wait to see what Christmas brings.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like how everything warps like you're seeing the world through a fish-eye lens. Other than that it looks pretty good, albeit a bit Doom 3-ish.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I dunno the multiplayer feels like anything but new and HD. I'm assuming you are all refering to the single player game visuals.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

There's a much higher level of detail but it didn't strike me as being that far beyond Quake IV. Better certainly, superior textures and colors, but I think the Doom 3 comparison is apt. Great fps so far, played much of the demo don't want to get to far into since the game is on my preordered list...

First HD game? not really, I was quite impressed with Far Cry but this does go farther...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only one who liked Dragon's Lair 3D?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it was either Half Life or Unreal that I first played in HD.

hmm...probably Half Life. It really justified the price I paid for that GeForce 256 SDR at the time. Good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I don't mind your posts at all. About Prey, well I enjoyed it on my PC, can't speak for the console. I think the game just looks good period, they took the doom 3 engine and just surpassed it so well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero
    I don't mind your posts at all. About Prey, well I enjoyed it on my PC, can't speak for the console. I think the game just looks good period, they took the doom 3 engine and just surpassed it so well.
    Actually the two are virtually identical. Graphics and ameplay are the same. The only difference is pad vs keyboard/mouse and in that regard Prey controls smoothly on both systems.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ah - Prey....I just finished demo today(it was very short, I was expecting something more worthwile when they said it will have 5 missions, but what Ive seen so far looks to be very interesting.
    premiere is about week away, we will see if was worth waiting those 7 years.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Technically it's not the first HD game, but it damn well is one of the most visually stunning.

First there was PGR3 and it was cool, but then PGR3 wasn't god enough so we got Fight Night, then Fight Night got old so we got GRAW, not GRAW's the old news and Prey is stealing the show. It seems every few months the bar is raise quality wise and if this continues i can't wait to see what Christmas brings.

I agree with absolutely everything you've said, but in the place of GRAW I would subsititute Oblivion. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't exactly blown away with GRAW's visuals, while certain parts of Oblivion almost bring a tear to my eye. Like when you are in the Forest and amongst the flowers, etc, etc.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by njiska

I agree with absolutely everything you've said, but in the place of GRAW I would subsititute Oblivion. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't exactly blown away with GRAW's visuals, while certain parts of Oblivion almost bring a tear to my eye. Like when you are in the Forest and amongst the flowers, etc, etc.
    The big thing with GRAW is the lighting. If you pay attention you'll actually notice things getting more washed out the more time you spend under the hot mexican sun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

The first HD game that I'm aware of is Dead or Alive 3 on the Xbox (unless you count PC games, in which case DOOM would be the first game to support HD resolutions). AFAIK DOA3 is the first game to support 480p, although it wasn't till PD Orta that we saw games hit 720p (although it was merely upscaled).

Prey looks fantastic, but not just because of HD. It looks wonderful in 480i too. This is partly to do with the engine it's running off (A souped-up-to-the-balls Doom 3 engine), and partly to do with the fact that the game has been in development since 1997, and has been written with D3 engine in mind since 2002, so there's been plenty of time for designers to figure out the exact look and feel of everything they want in the game.

It's truly going to be a superb game. While there may not be any originality in any way shape or form in Prey, it's evolving the genre to the next step, just like Halo and Half Life did before it.

Prey (as long as the retail game is just as good as the demo) will be the next game that all other FPS's will be measured by.

Oh, and how much fun is it to wall walk in multiplayer? If they sort the hideously crippling lag out, this will probably become the New DP Weekend game of choice.

I think I like it because it DOES feel like Doom 3, and multiplayer IS Quake 4 with some new additions... it takes 2 of the best FPS games released in a long time (the sponge and the filling), fuses them together, pretties them both up with lovely textures (icing), cooks them all for years years... and adds the final touch of a KICK ASS SOUNDTRACK (cherry) and VOILA! Prey is a very tasty cake indeed!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt
    The first HD game that I'm aware of is Dead or Alive 3 on the Xbox (unless you count PC games, in which case DOOM would be the first game to support HD resolutions). AFAIK DOA3 is the first game to support 480p, although it wasn't till PD Orta that we saw games hit 720p (although it was merely upscaled).

Just so nobody misinterprets what I'm trying to say... I didn't mean the first High Def game literally. I said the first "real" High Def game. As in the first game to truly look like it's really a High Def videogame. Also, 480p isn't really considered High Def. It is one of the supported resolutions of High Def, but it's considered to be EDTV. Ehanced Definition TV. The first high def console game was Dragon's Lair for the Xbox, I believe it ran in 1080i, but wasn't all that impressive. I think Amped 2 for the Xbox 1 was much more impressive at 720p. As for computers, the resolutions are different, becaue they are for a 4:3 aspect ratio, so it's hard to say what was the first High Def PC game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Am I the only one who liked Dragon's Lair 3D?
    This was the first Xbox game I bought after buying a HDTV. It was the only thing I had that showed the advantage of the TV's resolution. The game itself was fun but not really replayable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt

Just so nobody misinterprets what I'm trying to say... I didn't mean the first High Def game literally. I said the first "real" High Def game. As in the first game to truly look like it's really a High Def videogame. Also, 480p isn't really considered High Def. It is one of the supported resolutions of High Def, but it's considered to be EDTV. Ehanced Definition TV. The first high def console game was Dragon's Lair for the Xbox, I believe it ran in 1080i, but wasn't all that impressive. I think Amped 2 for the Xbox 1 was much more impressive at 720p. As for computers, the resolutions are different, becaue they are for a 4:3 aspect ratio, so it's hard to say what was the first High Def PC game.
    480p isn't just not really considered HD..it flat out IS'NT.

It's just SD (Standard Definition).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi-Ten Bomberman for the PC-FX was never officially released but was the first game ever to use the HDTV standard way back in 1993. Have no idea what the resolution was though:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/PC-FX/html...i-ten_bom.html