Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default NES/SNES to PC Controllers?

I'd like to find a device where I can plug a NES or a SNES controller into one end and then plug the other into a USB port in my PC to use the originall controllers for the emulators.

Do they exist?

Yes, I've seen the diagrams online explaining how to convert one but they make no sence and do a very poor job of explaining it. I'd just like to buy a device for plug and play ease, if one exists. If I got one to let me use my PSX controlers on a PC, then there must be SOMETHING out there for the NES/SNES controllers?

I searched on the web but could'nt find a store selling anything. I allready have the controllers.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I don't know of any USB adapters for the SNES pad, but I found a site with information on constructing a Parallel Port adapter that allows you to use the SNES gamepad on your PC. It looks fairly easy.

I'm guessing the parts cost would come in at around $20. The parts list would include:

* SNES cable - scavenged from either an SNES controller or controller extension cable.
    * Parallel Port plug
    * 5 Diodes
    * wire, solder, some form of cosmetic/protective wrap/shell/electrical tape

If you're interested, I'd be happy to build you one, and simply charge you $15 + the parts & shipping. If you're interested, PM or email me.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it's fairly simple for the electronic inclined. And you can get the USB version by picking up a parallel to USB adapter from most computer stores.

Make sure they are listed as parallel port and not printer adapter, the printer adapter is not a true parallel port. The adapter driver merely intercepts the printer call and redirect it to the USB adapter so it'd only work with printer and not with any other parallel port devices.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, thanks for the offer. I'm waiting to get the controllers from a friend of mine who bought them brand new from Nintendo a couple years ago, and then I can decide what to do.

I should have added that I am NOT electronicly minded at ALL -- I had problems just changing a burnt out fuse. So no, I would'nt know what I was doing and was looking for something very simple.

I recall back last year when Zophar's store was up and running they DID sell such a thing as a SNES-to-PC hook up, but I did'nt get one, of course, and now I can't seem to find them anywhere else on the net. Maybe I should ask Swampgas where he found them at.

Noah, you think you could convert a NES controller as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aside from the connector, the task would be exactly the same. Assuming I could find either an extension cable or a spare controller to sacrifice for the cause, it would be a piece o' cake.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Okay, well, I've never seen a out of the box NES to PC adapter, so I think I'm going to go ahead and ask you, if you don't mind, to see if you can get the parts and how much you'd charge for the conversion.

I even paid my friend extra to get one of the newer style NES controllers -- it's amazing how I used those old square ones for so many years.

Thanks for the offer of help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best thing to get would be the N64 to USB adaptors (Adaptoid). They function AWESOMELY on Nes and Snes games, along with any other emulator I use. I actually have two extra Adaptoids and two extra N64 see through purple controllers I can sell you if you need them. I purchased the adaptoids for $25 a piece, and the controllers I believe for $15 a piece, but I'll get rid of it all (including a rumble pack which works in any DX game that uses force feedback) for $50 shipped. Everything is in new condition. The best thing about these adaptors is that you jsut plug them into the USB ports and you don't even have to install a driver! WIndows just finds them as a HID compliant game device. There is of course a disk that comes with the adaptoid to install to set up advanced configurations and actually view a memory card (plugged into one of the N64 joysticks) as a folder on the HD! Very cool stuff. If interested, shoot me a PM. If you don't want them, this offer is extended to whoever does. I just don't need them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Soulblazer - EMail or PM me to confirm this, or let me know if you want to buy Zektor's stuff instead. I'll try to round up the parts and get the adapter built pronto if you want me to go ahead and do it. Naturally I'll find out the exact parts cost and give you a total before I actually do anything, to make sure the price is OK with you.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Thanks, but no thanks on the N64 controllers -- those were some of the WORST ones designed. The SNES, on the other hand, was the best one I've wrapped my hands around until the Dual Shock II PSX2 controllers and the GameCube controller.

Noah, I sent you a e-mail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default No problem..

I kind of like the N64 controlllers. Oh well, to each their own. Guess I'll list it in the Buy and Sell forum and see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Doesn't the original Gravis Gamepad bear a pretty good resemblance to the SNES pad?

I believe the adapters that Zophar's was selling were produced by an individual in limited quantities (as opposed to being mass produced by a larger company).
    ________
    Bbw Videos
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

For some games, yes.

I have a Gravis Gampad, but the pad on that one is slopped -- it kind of 'curves off' at the corners, as opposed to the seperate pieces on the NES/SNES controllers that are 'sharp' and clean cuts. For games that require percise and perfect presses on the pad, it's hard to do that on the Gravis Gamepad. Often I hit 'down' to make my guy crouch, for example, when he starts running off to the right and left.

Hence I'm glad I found someone who can make me a adapater.

As for ZD, Swampgas never responded to my e-mail, so I'm not sure.