Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sort of custom controller projects have YOU done?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What sort of custom controller projects have YOU done?

I've got three:

Proline SI Edition (Atari7800): One of the running projects that everyone's heard about. I finally took the plunge late last year, and it's rapidly become my favorite stick. I've thought about picking up more of these for future projects.

Sega 7800 Joypad (Atari 7800): One of my 'extra' Genesis 3-button pads, reworked to two-button compatibility on the 7800. The key bitch was having to cut off part of the ground so that I could properly rewire it. I also found out that there are two variants on the circuit board, and only one of them wasn't surface mount.

Fighter's Choice Stick Rebuild (PS1): I didn't want to throw this one out when it died (I didn't have the Radica Gamester at the time), and I had a spare Sony digital controller floating around that I wasn't going to use. In short, a new brain for the stick, and it works like the day I got it, except for the (useless) autofire option.

Anyone else have any custom controller projects that they've undertaken?
    "I've not seen such bravery!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are my two (that I've got pictures of):

backlit crystal xbox controller S

add a power button to xbox controller S

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i removed the select button from a SF anniversary controller. that is pretty much the extent of my work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm anxious to see if anyone has modified their SMS lightgun for 7800 compatibility... Finding an XE lightgun is difficult and playing Meltdown, Alien Brigade, and Crossbow with a controller is the pits... Yes, I neglected to mention Cracked and Barnyard Blaster...
    Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    her partially exposed butthole offends my christian sensibilities yet makes me want to play jet force gemini

<skaar> Let's triforce our dicks

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the stuff I try to do involving modification usually ends up worse than Ed's mom at the beginning of Fullmetal Alchemist, but here we go:

-I once tried to put the guts of a NES zapper into an old Laser Tag gun. the parts were to big and the gun (although really kickass) was to small. at the end of the project, I was out one really awesome gun, and another non-working orange zapper (I think I sold it; suckers!!!)

-Another time I painted the buttons of a NES controller blue to suprise the guy I was going to trade it to. The paint flaked-off in about a minute, and I had to glue the thing so it would actually stay together. To top it all-off, the guy did'nt take it, so now I'm stuck with it with a few other stuff until we have another garage sale.

-I fixed-up a QuickPro XII because it had a bit of plastic rattling around in there. I was suprised because it actually worked, yet I still cannot get the turbo to work at all to this day.

-(work in progress) I'm thinking about making an "Ultimate SMB controller"; a big honking peice of stainless steel sheets, out-fitted with various switches to give you any power-up, go to any level, and/or even make any solid object wall-jumpable at anytime. One can only dream, however...

I have the electrical skills of a platypus

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made some neo geo controllers once. I wasn't really happy with the work I did. I also rewired a couple DC Green Goblin controllers to work with a supergun I built. All the projects I've done have been pretty easy and I've done a pretty crappy job at them. I'll post up some pics here of what I've done if I can find them.

I also hacked a MS Sidewinder Pad so I could use my Neo Geo and DC joysticks on the PC. I actually did a good job at that project.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

replaced an xbox controller s casing with a clear orange one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I replaced the stock parts in my official Dreamcast stick with a Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y joystick with a blue balltop and 6 blue Sanwa buttons.

Built sticks for the consolised MVS and PGM using Sanwa buttons/sticks.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One time I plugged a Genesis controller into a 2600.

Yeah, thats pretty much it. Once Guitar Hero 2 comes out, I'm going to screw with the guitar I have, because I'll buy the packaged guitar and game. I might just make it look different, or I might stick it all into something else guitar-like, not sure yet.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being too cheap and tacky to buy a second Guitar (plus, England didn't have any at the time), me and my dad made one out of 2 kids guitars and a PS1 controller.

Todo: Mecrury Tilt Switch for Starpower, Whammy Bar and Paint Job :P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've built joysticks for:
    SMS
    Genesis
    Saturn
    Dreamcast

NES
    SNES
    N64
    Virtual boy

TG16
    Jaguar
    Vectrex

And I tore the shitty BaoLin parts out of a Street fighter stick for ps2/xbox and replaced them with happ.

Also have built paddles for tempest 2k on the jaguar
    , and a paddle for hyperchase on the vectrex.

Also: I tore the shitty yellow C stick out of gamecube pads and put in
    Grey sticks.

Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands. SO WHAT!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot, due to the fact that I no longer possess the projects(I sold them to cuewarrior) that I once converted a NES pad and a NES advantage to work with turbografx16. The Advantage looked REAL pro. The pad was a test dummy, and works but looks like absolute crap on a stick. I literally gave that away.

I have also built a box for using Atari/80s 9 pin common pads(or in my case, my common stick) for ti99. The schematics on 99er.net are all fucked up, though. I had to rewrite them. IF anyone wants them, I'm sure I could dig the fuckers up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Here.

Most of my Bally Astrocade controllers sucked in some way. Either the joystick part didn't work correctly or the paddle part didn't work correctly. One didn't work even more than the others did and that was 'ol number 2. It just flat out didn't work, down to the trigger.

So, I gots me an Atari 2600 paddle controller and an Atari 2600 joystick controller and I made me a monster.

It served it's purpose until I paid way too much for "good as new" genuine Bally controllers on ebay. I still keep this if I've got other people who want to play (I use the crap controller and they get to use the new ones.)
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad
    Here.

Most of my Bally Astrocade controllers sucked in some way. Either the joystick part didn't work correctly or the paddle part didn't work correctly. One didn't work even more than the others did and that was 'ol number 2. It just flat out didn't work, down to the trigger.

So, I gots me an Atari 2600 paddle controller and an Atari 2600 joystick controller and I made me a monster.

It served it's purpose until I paid way too much for "good as new" genuine Bally controllers on ebay. I still keep this if I've got other people who want to play (I use the crap controller and they get to use the new ones.)
    I'm going to say this only because i do a lot of controller work:
    Radio shack project enclosures are your friend.
    i use em for my custom arcade sticks; a fraction of my results can be seen here.
    www.templeofinsanity.com/images/tech/sticks.JPG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Built my own control panels for six different MAME cabs I've put together over the years (number 7 is coming soon).

Console-wise, nothing yet but I've got two projects in mind:

1) An Atari 2600/7800 gamepad with a control orientation like the CX-40 stick i.e. - direction on the right, fire button on the left. Ideally I'd mod a CX78 pad for this but I'll probably just rewire a more expendable NES pad first as a prototype.

2) An Atari "paddle" that can controlled with the thumb and index finger. This is primarily with my daughter in mind, as only has the full mobility of one hand. I might try to build her a "thumbstick" as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made a portable N64 a while back. Recently I bought a bunch of cheap N64 games to sell (classic plastic!), but I had no means to test it. I tore the old dismantled portable N64 apart, hooked up the motherboard, and powered it on. It still worked, but since I mangled the controller in the process of building the portable case, I had no controller. I'll be damned if I was going to pay $20 at bookman's for a new one.

So I made this. Yeah, it was once a DSL modem.

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I built a ddr pad from scratch, using a crappy ps controller as something to work off of. I used ddrhomepad's instructions, back in the day 5 years ago on ddrfreak, but I did a little modification as I wanted to have solo arrows.

My current project that I've really been too lazy to do at all and especially now that my colecovision isn't where I'm living, I've been converting an NES advantage to work with the colecovision so that I can have a decent arcade stick for all the arcade conversions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing overly complicated. I wired a SNES controller to work on the NES (one of the BEST mods ever!). The SNES controller on the NES is awesome. I also wired a SNES TopFighter joystick to work on the Neo Geo…that was a bit more complicated…

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Carey85
    I'm anxious to see if anyone has modified their SMS lightgun for 7800 compatibility... Finding an XE lightgun is difficult and playing Meltdown, Alien Brigade, and Crossbow with a controller is the pits... Yes, I neglected to mention Cracked and Barnyard Blaster...
    I did this probably 8-10 years ago. I don't know how it compares to the XE gun, but I wasn't too impressed with the results. Better than nothing though.

I think my first custom controller was a second Track and Field controller to use with the 2600 version 20+ years ago. Since then I've built a few arcade style sticks, put thumbsticks on most controllers that used pads (pads are evil), did the DDR pad thing a few times, etc. The most useful one was taking a NES Advantage clone for the TG16 and making it a 7800/Colecovision 2 button stick, with a passthrough to connect a regular Colecovision controller to use the keypad (similar to the Wico 5200 stick).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't find the pictures, but I have:

-Modded an Agetec to use a Sanwa stick
    -Modded a few other Agetec's to have Sanwa sticks & buttons, and actually made it a PS/PS2 controller at the same time.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list