Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neo-Geo AES is just soo........ Special

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo-Geo AES is just soo........ Special

I know that the AES is expensive as fuck to get into, and that really one should look towards a consolized MVS or something like that, but man, I just love the real deal. I owned a AES back in like 1992 or 1993, but only had it for 5 months. I sold all my other systems and games to get it, and then after 5 months decided that I wanted more variety again, so I sold my AES. Not too long ago, I finally reacquired a AES, and I must say that this system is the ultimate. It's just got such a cool flavor to it.

As for the cost of the games, I know it's pretty ridiculous, but there are some "relatively" good games that are affordable. I'm not the type of guy to buy expensive retro games. I have a very hard time spending more than $10 on a old school game. Obviously, that philosophy and the AES don't really go together too well. So with the AES, my limit has bumped from $10 to $40 ish. This means I can't afford alot of the best AES games, but that's ok. I can afford enough to give me a really good flavor for it. Here are the games that I've gotten so far:

1. Baseball Stars 2 - cart only - got it for like $40 plus shipping.
    2. Football Frenzy - complete - got this for $25 with shipping and everything. Yes, I know it sucks. lol
    3. Super Baseball 2020 - complete - Got this for like $25 or $30 with shipping included
    4. Magician Lord - no manual - Got this for like $35 plus shipping.
    5. Blues Journey - complete - Got this for like $40 shipped, and might have gotten it a little cheaper
    6. Ninja Combat - no manual - JPN - Got this for like $28 shipped.
    7. NAM-1975 - no manual - JPN - Got this for $30 locally
    8. Cyber-Lip - no manual - JPN - Got this for $35 locally!!

So as you can see, the most that I've spent so far on a Neo-Geo AES game is I think $45. I think that was the cost of Baseball Stars 2 plus shipping. I try to stay more in the $30 range if possible. Of course, now I've already got most of the games that are relatively decent that are under $50, so I'm going to start running out of games that I can buy that are halfway decent and under 50 clams. But nevertheless, I've got a nice little collection of games to play, and until I beat all these games from start to finish, why worry about buying more anyways? There might be a point when I decide to go the consolized MVS route, or maybe there will be a AES flash cart or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

every once in a great while, you can find cheap common games for the AES. i found world heroes 2 and fatal fury 2 for 10 bucks a pop.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

The majority of the early generation games are dirt cheap. The market fell out completely a year or two ago on those. Samurai Shodown II for $20 is the best deal in gaming. Except for Last Resort and Viewpoint, I think I own about every early gen game there is. The majority are great games too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    The majority of the early generation games are dirt cheap. The market fell out completely a year or two ago on those. Samurai Shodown II for $20 is the best deal in gaming. Except for Last Resort and Viewpoint, I think I own about every early gen game there is. The majority are great games too.

Yeah, I especially like the early games, because the earliest games give you a good flavor for what it was like to own the system in the very early 90's. When I first got my Neo in 1992 or 1993 (not sure exactly when), I was amazed to be able to play a game like Cyber-Lip at my house. I remember playing that game at a 7 Eleven, and to be able to play it at my house, was such an amazing thing back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Samurai Spirits 2 is a great deal, I got it for $25 shipped, and man I placed so many hours on it, till I got SSVS

JS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know it ain't the same, but thanks to guys like Takara and SNK... I'm able to at least sample a bit of AES at a fraction of its cost... as the SNES and Saturn had some great ports. I know I know, it's not the real thing, but to me it's still pretty good, and I'm content so that's all that matters to me.

I actually played WH2 AES at a bud's house 3 months ago. I found myself preferring the SNES version and controller more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had most common to semi rare consoles and I can say that in my opinion….the Neo Geo is the king of them all. I bought a AES last summer and fell in love with the system. It is quite possibly the coolest system I’ve ever played, everything about it is top-notch.

I got some good titles like Samurai Shodown II and III (as well as Fatal Fury, both Baseball stars, World Heroes and some others) but I had to have the BIG titles. Games like Metal Slug 1,X,3, The later Samurai Shodown titles, Bust-a-Move, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Blazing Star……….I had to have them.

I sold the AES and bought a consolized MVS (stereo, S-Vid, RGB outs as UniBios). I’ve never looked back. I now have a great Neo collection and although they’re notthe AES version, I added Shock Boxes and they display nicely.

(The 2 without labels are Super Dodge Ball and King of the Monsters) Of all my systems, the 3 I’d never sell are me NES, SNES and my Neo.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Hey Anthony,

If you decide to go MVS, I can walk you through on how to build a consolized MVS setup.

James
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went AES first, like most, and had a complete KOF set and some other good titles. However I later parted my ways with my AES when I found my supergun in the wild. I figured it was time I got some of the good titles and more into arcade gaming.

Later bought a candy cab and I just finished making it top notch with a 4 slot.

Right now I have 36 games, 34 of them loose and 2 complete kits. As much as I want to buy the shock boxes, I can't see myself doing it. I can't justify paying an extra $10 for a shock box and insert when I know I am going to go for complete kits later on. Not right now, but probably in the next few years.

My favorite system by far, I love just sitting down by my cab and playing some game, even it its absolute crap game I still have fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I love the AES. There's some damn good games to be had for low prices. You mentioned Sam Sho 2, which I got for 30 bucks a while back, but I've also got Cyber Lip, Fatal Fury, and Fatal Fury Special all for 25, a still sealed copy of Ghost Pilots for 30 bucks, and more recently, paid 60 for a copy of samurai shodown 3. If you're willing to pay the price for a modern game, you can pick up a good number of the Neo's best.

I also have a matrimelee that I picked up for 140 bucks, but that game is good enough to warrant an exception :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the Neo is a fab bit of kit and the stuff of legend from days gone by.

Much as I wanted an AES I realised it wasn't happening after seeing the prices of some of the games that I wanted. Add to that the fact that some games were MVS-only, and that increases the expense in getting conversions made.

I've no problem with conversions if you're a big AES collector and want to shell out the cash for an MVS exclusive conversion. But getting a conversion of Metal Slug just because you can't afford an original seems entirely wrong to me.

So thats why I built my CMVS. Give the carts a clean and put them in Shockboxes with nice inserts and it's all good. I only dread to think how much my collection would have cost if they were the AES versions: KoF '94 - '03, Metal Slug 1 - 5 & X, Samurai Shodown! 1 - 5 & Special, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Last Resort, Twinkle Star Sprites, Rage of the Dragons, Neo Turf Masters..... 57 games in total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I still stand by my opinion far as what the perfect, NeoGeo set up is.

MVS>Budget gamer.

AES>Rich gamer.

Ever since i switch to a "cmvs 2 slot" i've never regreted my choice.

Still if it was the... other way around i'd have a AES still.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now I'm going to just stick with the AES and my cheapo carts. I'll continue to try to find decent carts below $40, and it will force me to play the games that I have. Once I've finished most of them several times, then I have a decision to make.....either go the MVS route, or start paying some big $$$ for a select game here and there.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Right now, I've got plenty of games to play, and I'm cool with that. I do want to get a shooter though, and I also want to get Top Players Golf.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is it that Neo Geo AES games seem to have their own unique smell? No other system I know of has a notable scent. But damn, those AES carts, I still take a whiff every time I get a game out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nomeaz1
    Why is it that Neo Geo AES games seem to have their own unique smell? No other system I know of has a notable scent. But damn, those AES carts, I still take a whiff every time I get a game out.
    Heh... may be slightly off topic but back in the good ole early-mid 90s when LEGO was still at the top of their game I remember opening their box sets and getting a whiff of that lovely LEGO scent that came out. I dunno what it was or how they did it, but it was part of the joy of buying a brand new set -- to get that "new car smell" hehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomeaz1
    Heh... may be slightly off topic but back in the good ole early-mid 90s when LEGO was still at the top of their game I remember opening their box sets and getting a whiff of that lovely LEGO scent that came out. I dunno what it was or how they did it, but it was part of the joy of buying a brand new set -- to get that "new car smell" hehe.
    Yea, also getting a new pair of shoe's.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I also went the AES + cheap games route. So far I've got a JPN boxed AES system with the original arcade-like controller and 6 boxed games and 3 loose. Also a loose memory card. Overall I've spent about $325-350. Not too bad.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny that i read this thread the other day and then today I picked up the system.

Neo Geo AES (jpn model)
    Sengoku
    thrash rally
    samurai spirits
    $200 all complete.

bad news is I'm broke but now I have something to do!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky
    Funny that i read this thread the other day and then today I picked up the system.

Neo Geo AES (jpn model)
    Sengoku
    thrash rally
    samurai spirits
    $200 all complete.

That's a pretty sweet deal if it included shipping, and depending on the serial # and whether or not you prefer good RGB or good composite. I need to get Thrash Rally at some point too!

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky

Neo Geo AES (jpn model)
    Sengoku
    thrash rally
    samurai spirits
    $200 all complete.

That's a pretty sweet deal if it included shipping, and depending on the serial # and whether or not you prefer good RGB or good composite. I need to get Thrash Rally at some point too!

Serial # ?