Thread: Wisdom Tree Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wisdom Tree Games

Why do you suppose that Wisdom Tree made so many games for Genesis, NES, and Gameboy, and only one for the SNES? Why were all of the other carts stand alone and Super Noah's Ark 3D developed to HAVE to use another cart? I know why it need another cart, I just don't know wht the designed it that why.

I have the cart, I know how it works, I've played it.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Well since they were all unlicensed and they had been able to reverse engineer the NES stuff so they could override the lockout chip just like Tengen had it wasn't a big problem and their carts were different because they couldn't get the NES cart.

I'm venturing a guess here that they couldn't just override the SNES game and since well... none of their releases were all that huge (nor sold all that much) and their market was a bit limited (being religious) they never got anything more than the one SNES game out.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems odd as Super Noahs Ark was released in 94 and Bible Adventures for Genny was released in 95. The Genny and SNES were comparable and so much more was released for the Genny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is that Wisdom Tree had easier and cheaper successes publishing unlicensed carts for the Genesis than they did with the SNES. Not that SNES owners were missing much, of course, with the quality of the games and the fact that they were just straight NES ports.

As you may or may not know, Active Enterprises planned to release an SNES version of Action 52. Of course, this never saw the light of day. I'm not sure if it's due to being unable to override the lockout, or if it was due to the financial troubles that eventually made them shut their doors, which seems like the most likely answer (anybody who knows more is welcome to fill me in on this).

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Active Enterprises planned to release an SNES version of Action 52. Of course, this never saw the light of day. I'm not sure if it's due to being unable to override the lockout, or if it was due to the financial troubles that eventually made them shut their doors, which seems like the most likely answer (anybody who knows more is welcome to fill me in on this).
    Maybe it was because they knew it was blasphemy to do so, considering Action 52 suckled Satan's ball sack. Sounds about right to me.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The copy protection on the NES was trivial (just blast the security chip with negative voltage, by the time it wakes up the game has already started) and same with the Genesis (early units had no protection at all, later ones just look for the text "SEGA" at a certain point in the ROM). Security on the SNES was considerably more complicated, and involved proprietary chips that couldn't easily be backwards engineered. So Wisdom Tree's only choice was to piggyback their game on a cartridge that already had the chip. Considering the cost of the extra connector and how dumb the whole thing looked, it's no suprise Wisdom Tree didn't bother releasing more games for the system. Especially when they could easily release them for the Genesis.