Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what it was like in 1992 at the mall!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default what it was like in 1992 at the mall!

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd8xPobYuUs

(not mine BTW, but boy I certainly remember those long summer days my uncle used to take me and my bro to the mall and we would oogle at the selection like this guy did... I know I'm not alone...)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: what it was like in 1992 at the mall!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd8xPobYuUs

(not mine BTW, but boy I certainly remember those long summer days my uncle used to take me and my bro to the mall and we would oogle at the selection like this guy did... I know I'm not alone...)

Wow, that is awesome. I just wish it was more clear, to really be able to see all the games behind the counter. Looks like a Kay-B-Toys. I remember they used to always have certain games marked down with really big stickers on them. Man, what a great time, 1992. Lots of great games available at that time. It bring back some great memories of buying Genny and SNES games and opening them for the first time and being super excited to play some brand new game.

I wish there was more of this type of footage lying around and wish it was clearer to really see things. Kinda suprising that they let this dude bring a camcorder into the store and just start filming shit. They probably wouldn't allow that nowadays I'm guessing.

You know whats funny, is that in the near future, people are going to have High Def camcorders and when they take footage like this, it will be saved for ever in a High Def format and 20 years from now, people will be able to look at a game store with Xbox 360 titles on the wall in perfect clarity!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    You know whats funny, is that in the near future, people are going to have High Def camcorders and when they take footage like this, it will be saved for ever in a High Def format and 20 years from now, people will be able to look at a game store with Xbox 360 titles on the wall in perfect clarity!
    Haha. You know what's even funnier? That's exactly what they were thinking back in 1992!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool... but I get zero nostalgia from that since I am an old fart and judging by the amount of Genesis / SNES games, I was already a working engineer and pretty much the same person then as I am now!

In other words, it's probably how you'd feel looking at a video of N64 games on a store rack. That scene literally seems like not all that far from yesterday and just a part of the current gaming scene if not only by a few years. I guess the older you get the less things seem to change. x_x

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    Haha. You know what's even funnier? That's exactly what they were thinking back in 1992!

That's true. A dude with a Camcorder back in 1992 was something of an oddity. That's probably why they didn't ask him to turn his camera off, cause they were caught off guard and hadn't had something like that happen to them. I wonder if the date on that Camcorder was correct. Most people have an incorrect date on there. It has to be relatively close though, looking at the games that are on the shelves there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, E-Swat was only $29.99, what a great deal!! lol.

I saw a Genesis core system in the background. I didn't know Sega had a core system out already by then.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know there was a core system out for sometime before November of that year because i got a core system and Sonic 2 on "Sonic 2-sday".

I spied "Road Rash" in that video....RR2 was still a few months away from being released.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That video brings back memories. How did you even find it? Thanks btw

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe great times, great times!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I remember those times. I also remember checking the backs of certain games like popful mail and Shinning Force CD thinking to myself "eh, I'll get them some other time" a lot of the games that are worth a little change today, I can distinctly remember always looking at those ones in the store and not picking them up. I wish I would have picked up all the saturn games in the bargain bins when it was going off the shelves back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    That's true. A dude with a Camcorder back in 1992 was something of an oddity. That's probably why they didn't ask him to turn his camera off, cause they were caught off guard and hadn't had something like that happen to them.
    That stands to reason. Also, maybe he bought that camcorder that day and was just taking it for a test drive. At least, that seems logical enough.

"They have Terminator!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talk about a flashback. I distinctly remember all of the hours I spent at malls, blockbusters, and various game stores glaring at video games. I wish I could go to a store these days and see a wall of genesis boxes. Now your lucky enough to find a bin of carts. *sigh*
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great video. It did bring back a lot of memories

I wish I could go back in time and buy all those sealed Zeldas!!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reminds me of when Kay B Toys used to be worth a damn.

And was still in this area (the first time).

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, great video! Makes me all misty...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Cool... but I get zero nostalgia from that since I am an old fart and judging by the amount of Genesis / SNES games, I was already a working engineer and pretty much the same person then as I am now!

In other words, it's probably how you'd feel looking at a video of N64 games on a store rack. That scene literally seems like not all that far from yesterday and just a part of the current gaming scene if not only by a few years. I guess the older you get the less things seem to change. x_x
    Exactly. It's cool, but I'm just a bit too old to feel misty and nostalgic (that was my first senior year of college). Ten years earlier, though, would really tug at my heart strings--I'd love to see some footage of all those closeout tables at Kaybee circa 1983-84, and even more than that, some arcade action between 1979-1983.

Still, that's cool for a lot of people, and I'm not doggin' on it.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by k8track
    Quote Originally Posted by NE146

Exactly. It's cool, but I'm just a bit too old to feel misty and nostalgic (that was my first senior year of college). Ten years earlier, though, would really tug at my heart strings--I'd love to see some footage of all those closeout tables at Kaybee circa 1983-84, and even more than that, some arcade action between 1979-1983.

Still, that's cool for a lot of people, and I'm not doggin' on it.
    Same here....

If this were a video of Toys R' Us or Barrel of Fun arcade circa 1982 - then I'd be a helluva lot more sentimental. Being 19 (and a mallrat) In 1992 - I cared a little more about girls than video games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I was just looking through some old magazines, and I saw an ad from some video game place where they were selling VHS videos of the 1994 Summer CES for like $24.99.

I wonder if any of those old tapes are floating around somewhere? It would be really cool to see video of old CES shows or like the very first e3 shows.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why Colorado ruled

Here in CO, back in 1992 we ahd a great store called Incredible Universe. It was radioshacks try at a big store.

Anyway the videogame section had SNES, Genny, Sega cd, Jaguar, 3do, 32x, CD-i, and a little later saturn and PS1. But god damn that store was great with all the different systems and large stocks of games.

That was my fav store of all time, they closed about 5-6 months after the PS1 launch

Everyone here in CO should remember that store though.[/i]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Reminds me of the time I was browsing through a bin of SNES games about a year after the N64s release or so. I disctinctly remember seeing a mostly purple box with a fancy looking "III" on it for $24.99.

Alas, I was just waiting for a friend to buy something, and in my mind there was no reason to spend money on a super nintendo game now that I had a Nintendo 64.

The things polygons will do to your mind...

Now I try to think with my head, not my analog stick.
    (Ba-dum Crash!)
    Welcome to Macintosh.