Thread: My eyes are bleeding..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My eyes are bleeding..

Is this a lengthy diatribe of a disclaimer or what?

LINK

.. I mean listen.. I've sold a few items on the 'bay.. and I've gotten a few negs (never as a seller though).. and I can certainly understand trying to cover your ass (especially with a 100% rating).. but talk about OVERKILL !

I wanted to bid on this item, but about a quarter of the way through reading these terms.. I passed out.

I remember once a bidder complaining that I had written two rather average paragraphs of terms in an auction!

I wonder how many people like me start to read all that and then simply give up.

.. And I thought I was anal.

I think we oughta' give this guy an award.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea we had a topic about this guy before, i think most people agreed they wouldn't buy from him with that "disclaimer",

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.. if you look at his FB he does have 2 negs way back (didn't check) but they must have been from the same person and count as one. Of course.. this drags up that whole "How can you have even 1 neg and still have 100% debate."

Reading it he seems to be very paranoid of "collectors" (almost to the point of not wanting our business) although I can't see how it's justified since he's only ever been negged once.

My apologies if he's been discussed before. This would have been a hard one to track down (guess I coulda' searched for his ID in a post).. feel free to lock mods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

... I bought from this guy like 7 months ago... he changed his name, but I dealt with him several times.

Lemme say he's a GREAT GUY. Forget the long-winded diatribe or whatever... he's a top seller.

Bought several SNES games off him, and had no problem. He even sent me a free game once....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read through most of it and honestly, it all sounds very reasonable to me. I can understand though how someone would be wary of bidding on one of his items thinking that he was hiding some sort of scam in all the text.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    I read through most of it and honestly, it all sounds very reasonable to me. I can understand though how someone would be wary of bidding on one of his items thinking that he was hiding some sort of scam in all the text.
    Oh I didn't mean to infer at all that he was trying to pull a scam or anything at all.. quite the opposite. His feedback is impeccable. I'm sure that anything I won from him would arrive in it's described condition. It just seemed to me that he must have had one or two bad experiences with buyers in the past and then wrote this lengthy TOS to avoid it ever happening again.. that's all.

To be totally honest.. I did read it clear down to the part where he goes off on shipping charges. At that point I thought.. "now he's discussing shipping".. I'm near the end. Then I scrolled further down and noticed even that section went on forever. I just thought it was funny.

The funny thing about these kinds of disclaimers is, like him; he states many times he's doing this to avoid any problems or misunderstandings when the auction ends. What he probably doesn't realize is that a serious buyer is going to do one of two things. Either they're gonna' read about a quarter of it and decide "OK.. screw it.. let's just bid".. or move on like I did. The core he's aiming all this at.. "the whining buyer" are probably gonna' take one glance at it.. not read it at all.. and bid anyway. So in a sense I think he's defeating his purpose. But who knows.. he's a power seller with A LOT of satisfied customers. From that one can deduce that HE himself is not pulling a scam.

I mean.. if you're willing to abide by his rules and terms (Which when you look at them aren't all that many or unreasonable) you'd probably have a new "favorites seller". I just think he could have worded it with way fewer words. The only thing he's leaving out is discussing past fopahs and bad experiences and an explanation as to WHY he's so paranoid. It's kind of like reading his entire eBay "life's story".

Having bought well over 600 items on eBay I'd have to say I've had my share of "not exactly as described OR pictured" auctions won in the past and quite frankly.. even though I'm a collector bordering on anal when it comes to completeness and condition.. I don't expect everything described as "mint".. to be mint (A term I never use except to describe factory sealed games.) when it arrives to me, and I don't leave negative feedback anyway over such "misunderstandings" anymore either. Heck.. I've even had a few buys where something was described as "complete" (mostly PSX games) and had a photo of the game shown closed in it's box/case.. only to find it's missing a manual. Most of the times after I've e-mailed sellers over this I've gotten replies that they just didn't "check" inside.. but assumed (Even though.. oddly enough.. most of them were resellers with years of experience and thousands of feedbacks.). I don't neg these people anymore either.. I simply don't buy from them again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    The funny thing about these kinds of disclaimers is, like him; he states many times he's doing this to avoid any problems or misunderstandings when the auction ends. What he probably doesn't realize is that a serious buyer is going to do one of two things. Either they're gonna' read about a quarter of it and decide "OK.. screw it.. let's just bid".. or move on like I did. The core he's aiming all this at.. "the whining buyer" are probably gonna' take one glance at it.. not read it at all.. and bid anyway. So in a sense I think he's defeating his purpose. But who knows.. he's a power seller with A LOT of satisfied customers. From that one can deduce that HE himself is not pulling a scam.

the thing is he has it all in writing, and if you fail to understand and accept the terms it's on you, not him. He's covering his tracks, and would you sign a contract without reading everything? of course not.

Would you bid on an auction w/o reading everything? Probably not, as well. But those who do, if they said "F it let's just bid" if something is not satisfactory to them he can point out to "X" in the description which buyer Y might have skipped.

Bottom line, business looks good to him and it's obviously working for him, so let him be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought a better place to put a TOS was in the ebay "about me" page. That way he could refer bidders to that and still cover his tracks, thereby not creating an eyesore of his auctions and scaring away potential bidders. Having said that , I don't feel disclaimers such as these are of much use, since as long as he is honest in his dealings he is already protected by ebay's TOS. Which everyone must agree to before joining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Steven! Lighten up! I wasn't criticizing or insulting your little friend.. just "musing" over him.

I can see why you're defending him though.. really.. he's probably the only seller you HAVEN'T ever had an issue with (based on your posts in this forum).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To cut down on disclaimers I have tried making a link to another page with much more indepth auction rules and info but no one bothers to click the link and read it.

People usually dont even bother reading the first page let alone a link to another page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a bit OTT. On the other hand, there's a lot of moaners these days so I can see people covering their asses.

I'd probably read all of it if I wanted to bid, but only if it was a must have item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey Steven! Lighten up! I wasn't criticizing or insulting your little friend.. just "musing" over him.

I can see why you're defending him though.. really.. he's probably the only seller you HAVEN'T ever had an issue with (based on your posts in this forum).
    1. You obviously misinterpreted my post. I was not angry or miffed in the least, just stating my 2 cents from a normal standpoint, no bias or anything. You obviously read into it as if I was pissed since he "is my little friend."

and

B. Problems? With sellers? Me? I think you're confusing me with the great Kevin (where has he been?) I, for the most part, have had a blast on eBay and it's been mostly positive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another weird thing I saw the other night.. I'll try and find the seller again. But I brought up this guy's auction page and before the page even finishes loading up.. up popped this little window OVER and outside of the browser page that looked like a standard windows dialog box! It said something to the effect of "Please read all the terms before bidding on my auctions.. thank you." It was short & unobtrusive.. granted.. but I thought eBay REALLY frowned on things like that! Not to mention I do too personally with spyware nowdays being able to deposit itself so easily on your HD via pop-ups.

How could somebody even write that into the code of an auction page using eBay's GUI?

Just went back and found this guy again:

HERE

I scanned my PC before putting up the link and he's not doing anything nefarious.. but I just thought this sort of thing was a definite No-No.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just thought this sort of thing was a definite No-No.

Yeah, me too. I mean paying 13.99 for Shadow the Hedgehog

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain nintendo
    I just thought this sort of thing was a definite No-No.

Yeah, me too. I mean paying 13.99 for Shadow the Hedgehog

Hey!! I need a copy of Shadow!

I want one to go with my cool Nubytech Shadow PS2 controller, so that I can turn around and sell them on eBay someday for HALF the price I paid for them ! (Kinda' like that whole Resident Evil chainsaw scheme I had.. that went over really well; but no.. I'm not really selling either of them.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How could somebody even write that into the code of an auction page using eBay's GUI?
    Ebay lets you get away with almost all code entered into the item description. I used to have a javascript that wouldn't let people steal my images, but I found it had some bad side effects, so I dumped it (especially after I officially retired from dealing with any kind of code).
    ________
    Vaporizer wiki
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anymore there are just as many bad bidders as sellers so you got to do what you got to do...ive had the item didnt arrive crap pulled on me several times..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is covering your ass, but then there's OTT, i read the da vinci code in the same amount of time it took me to get thru that disclaimer and i gave up after the first paragraph

But if it helps him keep buyers on the straight and narrow!, i can't blame him, plus, when ever someone gets back and nit-pik's about an item he can just point them in the direction of his disclaimer, (or the bible as i call it now!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too long no read

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i don't think one paragraph is enough to explain that shipping is 2.99