Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with collecting RPGs to play

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default problem with collecting RPGs to play

I don't know if this belongs in the classic gaming or modern gaming forums since it kinda refers to games of all years, so I put it in here for the hell of it. Does anybody mainly collect/play rpgs and find themselves switching from game to game and then forgetting what the story was on some of them? it's like trying to read 4 books alternating one book every night. Right now I'm switching off between Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Shadow Hearts, Legend of Heroes, Magna Carta, and occasionally Albert Odysee. I'll be playing Magna Carta and be like "what the hell happened to Yuri (shadow hearts)". I love rpgs a lot but I have a hard time sticking to just one at a time. It kinda sucks because eventually they just get stacked with the rest of them to become unfinished after I find new games I want to play. I've still yet to beat Final Fantasy X-2 and I bought that the first day it was out. The only way I could see beating all of my RPGs is quitting my job, telling all my friends to fuck off, and sitting in my room by myself for a month straight without sleeping, only playing the stack of RPGs. I don't think I really want to do that. I know I should just stick to one at a time until its done with, but wheres the fun in that :P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah man, I always get totally lost in RPGs because I play more than one at a time. Then, I decide to take a break on them to play something else, and I come back a week later and forget where I was in the game and what I was supposed to be doing. THat's why I don't complete many of the RPGs I play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel your pain. I've got loads of RPGs that I've either started but stopped or just haven't started. I intend on getting to them ... someday.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only tried that once. It was pretty hard to keep up with. .hack to Final Fantasy X to Dark Cloud. I can't imagine doing more games than that.
    Final Boss For Your Mom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It is easy to loose track in story for a rpg if you play more then one when you switch over. It has has happen to me too. I just focus on one rpg at a time.

I tried that with lufia for gbc and lost track where I was in the game for the storyline.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yeah there are very few role playing games I can remember the stories for, or hell even the character names. Regardless if I finished them or not. I do have a bad habit of trying out new games and neglecting the one I was previously playing, I blame a short attention span. Heh, MightySlacker even promised me a free game of my choice if I beat Phanatsy Star Collection... that was a couple months ago and it just hasn't happened. Erm... yet. >.>

Damn Oblivion came out, which I did beat. Finished all the guilds and main storyline. Even started a second character.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I very rarely stop playing an RPG in order to do another one. If I stop, I probably don't like it enough to ever finish it anyway. Maybe I just have a long attention span?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    I tried that with lufia for gbc and lost track where I was in the game for the storyline.
    I know what you mean. I got not too far in there and couldn't go farther so I just battled for the longest time before I found the correct route I was supposed to travel and ended up being quite a higher level then the area was intended to be for.

That's what usually happens. I'll play a game for several hours in a day or two and then get somewhat bored with advancing and will begin just leveling in an area for the longest time. I'll end up playing the game randomly for an hour a week later just to level some more and next thing I know I've leveled my team up to where nearly everything is a pushover, even bosses. This has happened to me in Final Fantasy V & VII, Tales of Destiny, Phantasy Star III, Dark Stone, Diablo, and a hand full of others. In addition, I still haven't beaten those games (except Diablo). >.<
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

RPG's usually have repetitive elements, like combat, or exploring (aka walking all over the place). I think this is what moves us to play other games at the same time. Moving toi another RPG just makes it worse. I feel you need to play another type of game, just for the breal, but you must stick to one RPG so that you can get fully engrossed in the story. The story is, in a big part, how you imagine it, so mingling multiple RPG's (which are often too similar anyways) simply spells disaster.

The best RPG's usually keep you enthralled anyways, others (like a book) require you to get well into them before they get good. So if you know the RPG is a good one, then fight your way to the good parts (literally).

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the exact same problem...still have to go back and finish Final Fantasy X...etc...etc...etc...etc.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Heh, MightySlacker even promised me a free game of my choice if I beat Phanatsy Star Collection... that was a couple months ago and it just hasn't happened. Erm... yet. >.>
    How far along are you?

I cannot get into that (those) game(s). I wish I could because I REALLY want to like it (them), but I don't

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Heh, MightySlacker even promised me a free game of my choice if I beat Phanatsy Star Collection... that was a couple months ago and it just hasn't happened. Erm... yet. >.>
    How far along are you?

I cannot get into that (those) game(s). I wish I could because I REALLY want to like it (them), but I don't
    I'm towards the end of Phantasy Star 1. XD It's fun but navigating the dunegons can be a total bitch. I keep getting lost, and when I do try and make my own maps I somehow manage to get them completely wrong. If it wasn't for the maps at: http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/sms/ps1/

I'd be screwed.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as its my personal and quite insane goal to beat every RPG in exsistance i run into this problem alot...right now i have about 5 or 6 going that i'm working on. strangly enough i usually don't have much of a problem remembering whats going on and as was said the elements in alot of these games is pretty much the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, heh... I am new to the RPG genre but already own, hmmm, easily 30+ RPGs spanning GEN, NES, SNES and Saturn (yikes...) The 1st one I played was Brandish, which I started in Feb of this year.

I left it alone for 5 months however, and only came back to it yesterday. Luckily, I was able to pick it up like I never left. And this time I'm determined to play through it. I actually like it quite a bit. I know it's unpopular with the SNES RPG crowd, but I'm liking it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm ALWAYS doing this.. which is why I can't ever finish any of them. I have a short attention span and lose interest easily. I love RPGs (next to strats) but I just can't seem to ever finish them.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

What always seems to happen with me in RPGs is I either:

A) Get stuck, put the game down for a while, and then put something else in the system/handheld, not touching said RPG for months, years (FF IV, V, VI, VI, Rhapsody, Kartia)

B) Go to fight some epic storypoint battle of some sort, lose, get extremely pissed, (Especially if its due to some massive magic attack) say "Forget this" and dont touch it for monts, years (FF I, II, DW VII, DQ VIII, Mario RPG, Superstar Saga, BOF II)

It is because of these two reasons the only RPG Ive beaten in my life (and probably my favorite) is Earthbound/Mother 2.

Needless to say, I still enjoy collecting them.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almost allways finnish a RPG once I start it, unless I screw my self over or the game is way to damn complicated wich usuall screws me over. Another thing is if they are boring as hell lame combat and slow story.

Prime examples of to complicated for there own good Persona 2, Valkerie Profile, any nippon ichi game after Disgaea.

Boring games: Star Ocean Second Story, All Suikodens, etc etc if its got no story and lame combat count me out.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually pretty good for remembering where in a plot I am, and how to navigate a games GUI quickly again.

I'm actually in the middle of a bunch of RPG's right now..

Super Mario RPG
    Paper Mario Thousand Year Door (at the very end right now..)
    Valkyrie Profile
    Star Ocean the Second Story
    Alundra
    Skies of Arcadia
    Baten Kaitos (gotta finish it before the second one =O)
    Legend of Dragoon
    Lunar : Silver Star Story
    Xenosaga
    Kingdom Hearts
    Oblivion
    Shining Force
    Mario and Luigi : Partners in Time
    Advance Wars DS
    Lunar Dragon Song (I probably won't finish it though.. it's pretty horrid.. unless someone can tell me that there is a redeeming feature at SOME point of the game)

and probably a couple others that I can't think of offhand. Yeah... it's hard for me to really stick to a game. Although Tales of Symphonia, Crusader of Centy, all the Zelda's and Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario etc, I played all the way through without stopping as I LOVED them. Baten Kaitos and Paper Mario TTYD I played up to the end and stopped (due to school) and just haven't really picked up again yet.

Hopefully once school is done, or on my next week off, I'll be able to go back through some of these games and finish a bunch of them off. I especially want to finish off most of my PS1 RPG's. I'll have time eventually =P

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play RPGs almost exclusively, back in the PSX days. I'd try to play one at a time in order to prevent losing touch with the story.

The Xbox came along and I jumped onto that system, and the 360 since it's launch,....and sadly have not played nearly the volume of RPGs since.....due to the fact that the Xbox seems to not believe in the RPG as a genre, which I find strange for a company that has it's roots in PCs, which are home to a bazillion RPGs. I'm facing the fact that I may have to pick up a PS2 so that I can play it's huge RPG library this winter. What I wouldn't give for a deep turn-based RPG or two or three. Hopefully the 360 provides a good RPG library in the future. I've played through Oblivion four times.....and it's not enough to satisfy. I need more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    ...All Suikodens, etc etc if its got no story and lame combat count me out.
    Dayum! IMHO, Suikoden II has one of the best RPG stories to date. Oh well, to each their own... :P

As far as starting too many games, I have that problem in general. Final Fantasy IX, Metroid Prime, Halo, Super Mario World, Castlevania LOI and GTA: San Andreas are all games I got far in and didn't beat. I'm trying to be better and stick with one or two games till the end. I'm well into Suikoden V but haven't touched in for weeks...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK