Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Common" finds in the wild that had you excited

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default "Common" finds in the wild that had you excited

Not sure if this topic has been done before, if so, lock and link.

Ever find a common game in the wild (for a good price) that just made your day?

Back in May I found Double Dragon II NES for $3. It really made my day. I been looking for it but it was always $5 and I just felt like I could find it cheaper. Then one day, unexpectingly, there it is. And it made me feel good about holding off... otherwise I would have seen the $3 copy and have that "bummer reaction."

What common game(s) did you find in the wild that, for whatever reasons, really made your day?

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lunar Pool. When I finally found it, I came home and immediately put it in the NES and played for about 5 straight hours.

I used to rent it when it came out and it took me forever to find one in the wild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Magic of Scheherazade -- it's relatively common (an R3, I think), and one of my NES favorites, but I never saw it in the wild anywhere until I stopped in a (now closed) game store a few miles away from me. It was buried amongst a couple hundred other NES cartridges -- most commons, but I recall picking up Mermaids of Atlantis at the same time.

I've since purchased a sealed copy of the game (the only sealed game I own), but that was still one of my favorite 'common' finds. I took the game home and immediately proceeded to play it all the way through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Atari 2600 Dig Dug. Ya rly.

A couple months back I reported in my blog how I had finally secured the last R1 I needed (Realsports Tennis) to have all 2600 R1's. Turns out I was missing Dig Dug, even though I had it listed on my spreadsheet. A week or so later I found it at a local shop and became an honest man again .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found a loose Snafu for the Intellivision a few years back at a thrift store for $.49. I was geeked, since I somehow needed that game for my collection and I spent countless hours as a kid playing it.

I simply couldn't pay the $5 or whatever to have it shipped via ebay since it was such a common game. I knew I'd find it eventually.
    ________
    MERCEDES-BENZ W163 HISTORY
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, whenever I find a Saturn game that's cheap I'm quite pleased. Although I don't buy the sports titles except in bulk deals, some of them are great to play.

As for wild finds, generally comming across things I don't own period make me happy and since most of the wilds are 3's I'm pretty proud. Some of my latest common finds are:
    5200: DigDug {R1}
    GEN: Mega Bomberman {R5}
    NES: California Games {R2}, Metal Gear {R1}
    Neo Geo Color: Cardfighter's Clash: SNK vs. Capcom (Capcom Edition) {R3}
    SNES: Metal Warriors {R3}, Secret of Evermore {R2}, Legend {R2}
    PS: Saga Frontier 2 {R1}

I'll be very pleased that my eBay auction will give me Dark Savior, X-Men, and Warcraft II.

So ya, most things I buy I want anyways. Lots of what I want are commons. So I'm easily pleased on my finds.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    SNES: Metal Warriors {R3}, Legend {R2}
    WOW, Metal Warriors, IMO, is definitely not an R3! To me it's more like an R5, maybe 6. Legend is 4 minimum, in my area I have never spotted a copy, and it took me months to find a copy on eBay, so I'd rate it R5 minimum. Good finds my man!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

A good topic, indeed.

I always enjoy finding the common, but great, NES titles like River City Ransom, Maniac Mansion, Double Dragon (series), Ninja Turtles (series), Contra (series) or Castlevania (series). Considering the prices those go for in a lot of game stores, and on Ebay at times, you never want to pass on these titles if the price is low enough.

At worst, they make good trade bait or a few bucks of fast cash/Paypal because there is always at least one or two people looking for some of the games above on any message board or Ebay.

For example, I just worked out a trade involving an extra copy of River City Ransom that I had laying around for some miscellaneous Sega stuff I was after. For that reason, you are doing a favor to somebody down the road by hoarding those commons, even if you have them already.

No matter what I find, regardless of the value or rarity, I am always excited when I find games someplace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Need for Speed 1: Greatest Hits Edition PSX
    complete, mint.

Took years to find it, finally found it at the bottom of a dump bin and a Game Stop.

I was practically in tears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Double Dragon NES - I had 2 and 3 for years at this point, and I remembered #1 being quite good, so I was incredibly happy to have found it. Paid $5

Rainbow Islands NES - Used to rent this all the time when I was a little kid, so a few years ago while flipping through some garbage games at a flea market, I open the guy's nintendo for fun and find this sitting in there paid $7 or $8. I was stoked!

Kickled Cubicle NES - I rented this ALL THE TIME as a kid also, so I didn't mind overpaying greatly for this title. I just wanted to have it. Paid $20

Megaman 1-5 - These 5 games were the sole reason I collect games today. I had got #6 back when it first came out, and once I got an SNES (probably in 1995 sometime) I stuck my NES and about 15 games in a tub and it sat in storage until 1999-2000 or so. One day for whatever reason I decided to pull out the NES and give some of the old games a whirl. Man did I miss playing Megaman 6! I then thought hard for a while, why yes I rented megaman 2 lots way back when as well! So began the hunt for my OWN copy of megaman 2. after this I got curious about the other 4 long lost Megaman titles, and as time went on eventually managed to find a copy of each, and during that time acquired other games as well. To cut it off shortly here I went on a NES hunt to find ALL the games I remember renting as a kid - and I finished this about a year ago. Ended up paying $30, $10, $5, $.75, and $1 for Megaman 1-5 respectively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I was stoked to find City Connection for NES for a buck a few months ago at a pawn. I love that game!

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I found contra for nes at a pawn shop for $4. At that same pawn shop I found a boxed Comix zone for $5, and Airbuster on Genesis for $5. Even though its supposdly common according to the rarity guide, I found a mint condition copy of Romance of the Three kingdoms with the map and everything for $14. I never see that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

River City Ransom would make me flip out, but then I haven't had any finds for.. over 6 months!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting World Games back. I loved that game when I was younger.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I found a boxed Zombies Ate My Neighboors for the genesis for $2 at a flea market. I had also found a copy of Ikari Warriors III which was the only one I needed to finish off my NES Ikari collection. I think I found it for aroun $3-$5. Then I found an NES version tetris CIB and in very mint condition (even has the styro piece and the plastic that goes around the cart) for $5 and he threw in a dreamcast demo disk with it. So every now and again I find the common games for decent prices. It keeps me going back to the same flea market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Ogre Battle 64 at gamestop, and I was just so happy because I never got around to buying it until that day I found it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Saabmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was super excited when I finally found a minty complete copy of Auto Destruct for the PSX for $3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had been looking for a cheap copy of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for a while, and while nearly every vintage game store I went to had it, they all wanted $12-20 for it (I was willing to pay about $7). Eventually a store that almost never has anything good got one in, and they sold it to me for $4, which made me very happy. This was after literally months of not finding it below $10 anywhere (including eBay).
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sirhansirhan
    I had been looking for a cheap copy of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for a while, and while nearly every vintage game store I went to had it, they all wanted $12-20 for it (I was willing to pay about $7). Eventually a store that almost never has anything good got one in, and they sold it to me for $4, which made me very happy. This was after literally months of not finding it below $10 anywhere (including eBay).
    heh, cool. Me too man. I'm looking for this game, Mike version for sure, with a spending limit of around $9 max on it. Hard to find, but certainly not impossible, or maybe even improbable. It's not like it constantly hits 30+. So one of these days I'll catch people sleeping. No rush, which is the beauty. I hate wants when I really want it, but have a strict dollar limit I place on myself. Aye, we bargain hunters certainly must be patient.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Try finding one in the box with the letter from mike tyson. I've been looking for that for years.