Thread: PS3 Cell Processor fabrication is problematic says IBM

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default PS3 Cell Processor fabrication is problematic says IBM

Story at Daily Tech.

Normally I am not one of those guys quick to regurgitate a news blurb to get some big thread snowballing but holy crap, whatever you do, don't get a PS3 at launch.* The gist of this article suggests that if you've got 7 of 8 cores in the cell processor functional from purchase and one more goes after the warranty, you're out of luck. Even if it's covered by warranty that's a pain in the ass to have to return for repair. This isn't in the same league as replacing a DVD drive like in the PS2 or Xbox either, you'd have to stick in a new motherboard.

What experience I have with solid state electronics dictates that the longer an IC operates the more it has been 'tested' and most of the problem cells will have been weeded out in post production, but who wants to take that risk?

*I don't buy launch hardware, ever, as a general rule of thumb anyway.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the interview, Reeves also talks about failure rate as there is a possibility that one of the cores in the Cell will "blow" at any given time.
    It'd be my luck to be playing a PS3 game with a nearly unbeatable boss, and just after I kill him, one of my seven functional cores dies as soon as my warranty expires.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm wondering why they aren't going to swap it out for the newly announced Core 2 Duo thats coming out at the end of the month.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just another reason to camp out in front of Costco. They have the best return policy known to man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't going to pick one up at launch, but this news doesn't sit too well. I hope it is not too much trouble for the early adopters though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Just another reason to camp out in front of Costco. They have the best return policy known to man.
    I like that line of reasoning

Anyhow, in fairness to Sony if your PS3 has a core blow out after use then you just use the warranty and get that fixed.

For my part, I'm pretty shocked that hardware just keeps getting worse and worse in reliability. An NES will continue to work even half rusted, the media didn't "scratch" and the things are generally reliable. Then there were discs, and now even the processors are liable to go. Simple reason for it; game systems don't use proven designs that have been refined for years, but brand-new components designed right to the limits of the fab process. Still bothers the hell out of me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simple reason for it; game systems don't use proven designs that have been refined for years, but brand-new components designed right to the limits of the fab process.
    I think you mean Microsoft and Sony, because nintendo surely makes quality products with those designs and technology that has worked for years.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    Simple reason for it; game systems don't use proven designs that have been refined for years, but brand-new components designed right to the limits of the fab process.
    I think you mean Microsoft and Sony, because nintendo surely makes quality products with those designs and technology that has worked for years.

Oh my goodness.... A Ed Oscuro quote was misquoted as coming from me!!! Da Horrah!!!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't matter, I'll still buy one at launch. I'm expecting my 360 to blow out eventually, and when it does, I'll buy a new one. Doesn't bother me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    Doesn't matter, I'll still buy one at launch. I'm expecting my 360 to blow out eventually, and when it does, I'll buy a new one. Doesn't bother me.
    Question: is money a suitable replacement for toilet paper, or do you wipe with it for show?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    Quote Originally Posted by IT'S-A ME
    Here's an interesting point. It seems Nintendo's R&D department has done a good job beating the technology curve while releasing a good product. Last round they seemed to have done better than Sony, and the Xbox's Thompson drive is notorious for having trouble (mine's starting to go, finally). It should be noted that the vast majority of failures on these sytems was due to the optical drive, however, and Nintendo really wasn't far behind - the GameCube had a type of media similar to the Dreamcast, but that alone doesn't account for the difference.

This time around, however, Nintendo will be using a proven (i.e. not bleeding-edge) system (with respect to processing power) that very likely won't produce the amount of heat the PS3 does, nor use anywhere near as much power. Nintendo has chosen to widen the gap technologically.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Question: is money a suitable replacement for toilet paper, or do you wipe with it for show?
    No. I'll enjoy my PS3 while it lasts. I'll probably buy the extended warranty on the PS3, though, since Sony systems have generally been prone to problems.

But honestly, the internet blows this shit way out of proportion. My launch PS2 was fine until I a) droppped it down the stairs and then b) yanked it off a 4 foot high cabinet onto a hard tile floor. Then it bit the dust. So I'm not terribly worried about it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with Sony is that they just wanted too much from the PS3. They've invest all of this time and money into an eight core processor that will not only cause problems for early adoptors, but for at least a year to come. Like Microsoft, Sony could have used reliable technology, such as a duel-core processor, but decided not to.

They also didn't need Blu-ray, but want so badly to "win the format wars" that they'll drive the price of the PS3 to the moon.

Can you say, Coleco Adam?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    I'm wondering why they aren't going to swap it out for the newly announced Core 2 Duo thats coming out at the end of the month.

Except for the fact that the architectures are wildly different and they don't even understand each other's instruction set architectures.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Here's an interesting point. It seems Nintendo's R&D department has done a good job beating the technology curve while releasing a good product. Last round they seemed to have done better than Sony, and the Xbox's Thompson drive is notorious for having trouble (mine's starting to go, finally). It should be noted that the vast majority of failures on these sytems was due to the optical drive, however, and Nintendo really wasn't far behind - the GameCube had a type of media similar to the Dreamcast, but that alone doesn't account for the difference.
    Then again, even a Yugo would last forever if you only drove it a few days a month..

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    You can't be serious.