Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RGB related question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RGB related question

I got a nice 19 inch VGA monitor today that seems to have RGB connections on the back, looks like BNC connectors. Is there any chance of RGB modded systems working with this monitor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think that with it being a VGA monitor, they wouldn't look so hot. But yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance on all this, but what differences are there between a true RGB monitor and a VGA one?

I could probably head out and nab a nice big true RGB monitor no problem, I was just seeing if this was a quick fix.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It won't work. You've got a VGA monitor that also has BNC rgb input for digital rgb. Chances are extremely slim that your monitor would sync with a 15kHz analog rgb signal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Im going to try and hunt down a Sony PVM 2530 for my pending RGB needs. I hope a Sharp Twin Famicom can be RGB modded

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi
    Sorry for my ignorance on all this, but what differences are there between a true RGB monitor and a VGA one?
    VGA is an RGB signal at 31KHz, all video game consoles output their RGB at 15KHz (I think some arcade systems are 24KHz). Many older VGA monitors can sync down to the standard RGB rate, I used to have one and RGB signals looked great on it, by the way, better than a Comodore 1084 and at least as good as a Sony PVM (the 1084 doesn't have real strong blacks like PVM or VGA monitor does).

What's the make and model of this monitor you have with the BNC connectors on the back? It should be easy to look it up and find out if it can sync down to 15KHz.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a Viewsonic PS790 19 inch unit.

The info I found on it was this:

50-180 khz / 30-95 hz

Looks like the RGB idea wont work on this, as far as what I want for RGB monitor wise Im not picky as long as its at least 19 inch in size. I had just heard the PVMs were nice for it overall.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm...

I bought the PVM-2530 a while ago based on suggestions on this site. I find it to be the real deal with retro consoles. Anthony has saod there are larger models, and I search ebay now and then, but they seem to be uncommon. Only issue is the need for a custim DB-15 (not VGA form facotr, but PC joystick factor) connection.

It generally beats any old PC monitor that syncs because of it's size (and solid stereo output).

Later,
    Trebuken

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like the RGB idea wont work on this, as far as what I want for RGB monitor wise Im not picky as long as its at least 19 inch in size. I had just heard the PVMs were nice for it overall.

I've recently gotten lucky and stumbled upon two Sony's for a very good price. One is 19 inches, it's the Sony PVM-1953MD (also goes by slightly different model #'s). This model is absolutely outstanding with rgb signals, and very good with S-Video too! It will even do 480i component. Also, it has two RGB inputs, which is really nice, so you can have two RGB systems hooked up at the same time.

Another one I got, with the help of JibbaJabba, is a Sony GVM-2000. This one is 20 inches, very similar to the 19 inch one. It has two rgb inputs as well, one of the RGB inputs can do digital rgb too. Again, very good with S-Video as well.

The downside to those two is that it only has a mono speaker. They are mostly used for video editing or medical uses, so they don't need high quality stereo speakers. I wouldn't use the internal speakers anyways, but just so people know if they go after those models.

The GVM-2000 works wonders with the Neo-Geo AES. I'm not sure I've seen a better Neo-Geo AES picture. It also has a Horizontal shift feature, which is very important for systems like the Genesis and Super Nintendo, which sometimes have overscan or underscan issues with Sony monitors. Unfortunately, the horizontal shift lever is broken on the one I have, but I'm hoping I can get it fixed.

Anyways, there are lots of monitors in the 19 inch range in the PVM line that would work good. Try to find one within driving distance, otherwise they will be too expensive with shipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info, Anthony!

I saw one of the Sony PVM 2530 up for auction today, shipping was 120 bucks and it would all come out to about 250. Not sure if this is a great deal, but I cant find ANY monitors locally for sale.

An important question Ive been meaning to ask is if a Sharp Twin Famicom can be modded for RGB output. I know the NES needs a Playchoice PPU soldered on for it to work, but since the Sharp Twin isnt actually made by Nintendo perhaps it doesnt use the same ICs? Any info appreciated on this.

Either way Id be wanting to use my Genesis 1 on the monitor.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

This page suggests you might not even need a mod for RGB from the Twin Fami...

http://translate.google.com/translat...icrosoft:en-US

I could not find anything about an RGB mod for a Twin Famicom, though there were comparisons made between the Famicom Title and the Twin; the Titler requires a mod...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trebuken, thank you! You've been very helpful. This page seems to indicate that the Twin Fami indeed has it built right in. When I get my Twin Ill make a thorough investigation to try and find out for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

screen stretch= bad

use the BBcode or tinyurl.com to fix it
    *insert signature >here<*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to sound liek a noob here, but is RGB the same as component?

I thought it was, right?
    Alert the internet.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trebuken, thank you! You've been very helpful. This page seems to indicate that the Twin Fami indeed has it built right in. When I get my Twin Ill make a thorough investigation to try and find out for sure.
    What would be interesting is then using a Fami to NES cart and seeing if NES games worked, I kinda' doubt it but....cheaper than a PPU mod...if you have, or plan to buy, a Twin Fami anyways...

Later,
    Trebuken

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What would be interesting is then using a Fami to NES cart and seeing if NES games worked, I kinda' doubt it but....cheaper than a PPU mod...if you have, or plan to buy, a Twin Fami anyways...

Later,
    Trebuken

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info, Anthony!

I saw one of the Sony PVM 2530 up for auction today, shipping was 120 bucks and it would all come out to about 250. Not sure if this is a great deal, but I cant find ANY monitors locally for sale.

I don't think it's a smart idea to pay anything more than $150 grand total, for a rgb monitor, unless you can test it extensively before hand, and sometimes that isn't a good idea either, cause you won't notice something till later. Especially the PVM-2530's. Although they are one of the most outstanding monitors for old school games that you could possibly imagine, they almost always have some little issue that you are going to have to deal with or get fixed. I have two 2530's in the repair shop right now as we speak, and I'm hoping that I can at least get one of the back in decent working cond.

Patience is definitely required, for rgb, because you have to be patient to get the right monitor at a decent price, and you have to be patient to the the appopriate rgb cable for it, and you might also have to wait for your system to be modded. It's not a good idea to just rush out and try to buy a RGB monitor right away.

Best way to find a good one is to check Ebay once a week for "Sony PVM' and put your zip code in, and do searches for them within 150 miles. You might have to make a roadie to go get one, but you'll save a ton on shipping. I'm in Sacramento, and my first PVM was from San Francisco. I had to make a drive to San Fran to get it, but at the time, it was well worth it, because when I was first playing my games on that thing, it was just such an amazing thing to see it for the first time.

A great starter rgb monitor is the Commodore 1084. These are 13 inch monitors, 12 inches viewable, and while people think they are way too small, it's all relative. You just sit closer to it. Plus they are nice and portable. (relatively speaking), And you can actually get one shipped to you for less than $40.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A big piece of all this is whether the Sharp Twin Im getting can do RGB natively or not. I dont believe there should be an issue with a 72-60 pin adapter for the NES games if it can (for most carts anyway)

If the Twin cant Im looking at a complex and costly set of mods on a toaster or top loader NES, so heres hoping x.x

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A big piece of all this is whether the Sharp Twin Im getting can do RGB natively or not. I dont believe there should be an issue with a 72-60 pin adapter for the NES games if it can (for most carts anyway)

If the Twin cant Im looking at a complex and costly set of mods on a toaster or top loader NES, so heres hoping x.x

Well, there are tons of great systems that work in rgb, so even if you NES dreams don't pan out, you should still enjoy RGB with everything else. I hope to eventually get a rgb modded NES, but it's not an easy thing to get ahold of.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

Well, there are tons of great systems that work in rgb, so even if your NES dreams don't pan out, you should still enjoy RGB with everything else. I hope to eventually get a rgb modded NES, but it's not an easy thing to get ahold of.