Thread: Can you use an old 360 hard drive on a new 360?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Can you use an old 360 hard drive on a new 360?

My 360 finally died at the ripe old age of 4 months. Freezing, "checkerboards", and finally the "3 red rings of death". The console was well taken care of, ventilated properly...it is truly bizarre. Fortunately, I have the Microsoft extended warranty thing so off it goes to get fixed...if it can be.

Anyway, in the meantime I plan on buying another 360 to use whenever the other one inevitably breaks (it's so sad that I have to do this). The question is simple...

Can I use my first 360's hard drive on the new 360? Does it work like a memory card would? Not surprisingly, the Xbox support site doesn't say anything about this (I would think) obvious question. Any help is appreciated.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

You can, I've done it. The only thing you have to do is go through the whole "setting up the console" thing again, no biggie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster
    You can, I've done it. The only thing you have to do is go through the whole "setting up the console" thing again, no biggie.
    Yeah I'm using my old HD, worked like a charm have all the save games

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember though, that any downloaded content (Arcade games specifically) is tied to the hardware that you downloaded it with. Meaning, unless your console is the exact one you downloaded your arcade games with, they will revert to "trial" games unless you're connected to Live. I found this out when I got my console replaced. Not happy about it.

The thing that annoys me the most about this little "feature" is that any Silver accounts on my original machine could play the game as if they owned it... full version, upload high scores, achievements, etc. But now, in order for my wife to play Geometry Wars, I have to log in to my account, make sure I'm connected to Live, and then she has to use a second controller to play the game. Not sure if she gets the achievements or not, but it does allow her to upload her scores at least.

As far as I know, there is no fix for this problem. So, I'm stuck with all of my downloaded content not working unless Live is up.

I'm kind of worried about the GRAW chapter 2 content I downloaded. My 2nd 360 died this week, and it is the machine the GRAW levels are tied to. Its going to Texas tomorrow. I hope the levels and stuff still work on the new machine I get back. If not, there's going to be one very pissed off gamer.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie
    Remember though, that any downloaded content (Arcade games specifically) is tied to the hardware that you downloaded it with. Meaning, unless your console is the exact one you downloaded your arcade games with, they will revert to "trial" games unless you're connected to Live. I found this out when I got my console replaced. Not happy about it.
    So what's all this Sony bashing over a mere rumour that the games would only be playable on the original console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Yeah, I noticed that my dashboard theme didn't appear unless I was connected to Xbox Live (after I switched my old hard drive to my new 360).

I'm wondering what everybody has done with their "1st" 360's that broke down. Did you send it in to be repaired? Did it work? From what I've been reading, the Xbox repair center rarely (if ever) actually fixes the problem. In the end you just get a refurbished unit after sending your original 360 back and forth 2 or 3 times.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fibblewith
    So what's all this Sony bashing over a mere rumour that the games would only be playable on the original console?
    I don't think I mentioned anything about Sony, but the rumor was about discs themselves becoming tied to one console. That would suck, because then your $60 disc is worthless, and the used game market dissappears. This is downloaded content $5-10. It IS the future... disc media will dissappear eventually, but I'd rather pay for things on physical media for longevity. I understand Microsoft's need to protect their IP, I even support it. But they need to implement a simple change of machine authorization method, kind of like iTunes has. Problem solved. What happens to these games in 20 years when there's no Live, or internet standards have changed drastically? I won't be able to play these titles ever again.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I mentioned anything about Sony, but the rumor was about discs themselves becoming tied to one console. That would suck, because then your $60 disc is worthless, and the used game market dissappears. This is downloaded content $5-10. It IS the future... disc media will dissappear eventually, but I'd rather pay for things on physical media for longevity. I understand Microsoft's need to protect their IP, I even support it. But they need to implement a simple change of machine authorization method, kind of like iTunes has. Problem solved. What happens to these games in 20 years when there's no Live, or internet standards have changed drastically? I won't be able to play these titles ever again.
    Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of bashing Sony. There was a big thread a while ago where everyone was taking shots at Sony because they said it would be possible to have this technology. I don't remember them saying they were going to implement it into the PS3. And yet, it happens on the 360 and you don't even hear a whisper about it. (Until now)

I wouldn't call myself a Sony fanboy, but I've grown up with the Playstation. Even I'm starting to turn away from it. I just get tired of everyone finding reasons to hate Sony. Like that picture of the PS3 controller saying "Serect". They've had controllers saying "Select" for over a decade, and they've got English people on the team, I doubt they're going to do something like that.

I'm undecided/indifferent on this generation.

Anyway, back on topic. I didn't mean to start a flame or fanboy war.