View Poll Results: Which Nintendo Console was the Worst?

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • NES

16 4.48%
  • SNES

13 3.64%
  • N64

200 56.02%
  • Gamecube

105 29.41%
  • Wii (the demise of Nintendo is almost upon us!!!!)

23 6.44%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Nintendo Console

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't pick either one. I love them all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I voted N64. I just couldnt get into it. I got one from EB when it was like 20 bucks and played it about 3 times in the 2 months I had it. I gave it away for free.

I only played the Cube once in EB. I looked over the games and didnt see 1 game that interest me. Well maybe 1 or 2, but they were on the other 2 systems also.

IMO the Snes is the best system Nintendo ever produced.

Insert Coin (Level 0) AlphaNerd01's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is tough, but I disagree with those saying the N64 is the somewhat easy choice. I would say that the N64 holds up slightly better than the Cube. The Cube's a great system, and I love it, but for a Nintendo system, it just doesn't seem to have done as good of a job as the previous three.

(further) The N64 cart based hardware was awesome I think, cause during the PSone load times I would go watch the Star Wars trilogy, and when I came back all in a good mood, the thing would still be loading. Sorry, random Sony hating. The controller, I think, wasn't that bad. When and after I got used to it, I actually grew to like it. Nowadays, its tough to play LoZ or Mario Kart simply because it requires time to get used to the controller (again).

I like to look at these polls in differant perspectives though. The NES hardware was garbage, so why wouldn't we just pick that as our least favorite system? Because it has dozens of purely rad games on it, so picking it would be a sin worse than any other. That kind of gives it an unfair advantage, but hey, that's the industry for you. Sony's hardware is garbage, but some of those games are really cool, same thing. (More Sony hating... but loving Dragon Quest VIII...)

Of course, when it comes down to it, looking at my collection of GameCube games, I wonder what could of been. Yes, the N64 didn't agree with some gamers, but to be honest, I saw WAY to many kids open a big box on Christmas morning to reveal an N64 and watched them go INSANE... that didn't really happen with the GameCube. People now take those videos and slow them down to make the kids seem satanic or something. (See WebJunk 20 on VH1)

No matter how old and M-Rated I get (pun intended), I will always admit to myself that kids are VERY important in this industry, and its important that they are happy with their selection. I know some reading this won't agree with that, but you can all remember when you were kids, and how happy you were when you went into your local game store and saw a collection of games for YOUR system, and how many you wanted to ask your parents to get for you. It was a warm and fuzzy. The GameCube section is quite small, and for young kids, that warm and fuzzy will never be. (single tear)
    Genesis does what Nintendon't.

http://www.youtube.com/radretroreviews

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, those that defend the 64 are showing their age IMO.

Nothing wrong against that, just saying it's like picking your favorite child, most of these people had a 64 as their first system I betcha.

The N64 was your ugly, stupid child, with moments of idiot savantness, whom you loved with all your heart

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a lot of concentrated awesome in N64 (READ: Mario 64 and Zeldas), but overall it was a rather poor console. It's like Nintendo became this super lame family company during that time, and the supporting games have aged terribly. It easily gets my vote.

Gamecube was a return to form for Nintendo... a classic console in the vein of the NES and SNES. It had more competition from Microsoft, and was a design not suited for the mainstream ("isn't that a kids system?"), but it still did more things right than the 64.... It had a Metroid game, it had Zelda and Mario in top form (even if the N64 epics were superior... these were solid as all hell), mature games (ED and RE), great accessories (love my bongos, WAVEBIRD, DDR pad, microphone, and hell.... even GBA connectivity), F-Zero rocked, and a ton of other great titles........

The 64 was a joke for its drought of games...... The Cube delivered FF, MGS, Metroid, a few real RPGs! N64 had gooey Nintendo epics and that's it!

I generally disliked the N64 during it's lifetime, and today (though I love a lot about it!!). But I really enjoy my Gamecube, and I appreciate it and its library more and more as it ages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They all sucked... hours of my life away. I was and still can be addicted to the nes anytime, same for snes. the n64 and gamecube are less attractive to me. I would say I like the gamecube least (not that i dont enjoy it). Just that I got a lot more use from playing with friends on the n64. As for the Wii I hope it rekindles the nintendo of old. I hope it is the nes or snes of its time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N64. I can not stress this enough. Most games give me a headache with their blurry textures.

Carts on a 64 bit sytem? Que que?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Old fart here... I bought an Atari 2600 when they were still actively marketing them... 1981 or 82 I believe.

I bought an NES when I was 16 using my first paycheck from my first-ever real job at a car wash.

My roomie all through college had an SNES and we played the crap out of that thing... my most active gaming years.

I got the Star Wars Racer N64 bundle in 1997 or so and I spent a great deal of time with my N64.

I've played the GameCube (about 20 games or so) but I've never owned one. I have a friend with one and I rented a GC one weekend but I don't own one.

All that being said, I can say with with utter confidence that the N64 was Nintendo's worst home console ever. Not that it's a BAD console... it has some truly great games. It's not a CD-i or a Jaguar or something (and both of those systems have some good games, too... no rocks, please) but it's a far cry from the glory years on the NES and SNES.

The GameCube, as weak as it is library-wise compared to the PS2 and X-Box, is still a fine console with a decent variety of stellar games... more games than the N64, and more GREAT games than the N64.

Those of you who chose the NES or the SNES are either young graphics whores stuck in the modern, post-16 bit era or some sort of fanboys, neither of whom can be counted on for an impartial educated vote.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N64. I never liked the thumb joystick. I guess u have to get used to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went for the GC.

My complaint about the Cube is that most of the 'top' first party stuff seems to be little more than slightly swish versions of N64 games. I felt like I'd played most of it before. The jump from SNES to N64 was noticable where as from N64 to GC there wasn't that advance. There seemed to be a lot of 'play it safe' titles.

The N64 gave us Mario in 3D. The Cube did the same again, but not as well. Ditto for Mario Kart. The N64 gave us Smash Bros. The Cube gave us an updated version. The N64 gave us a 3D F-Zero, the Cube gave us more of the same.

The N64 gave us two quality Zelda games (as opposed to the Cube's one insanely easy, although admittedly charming, one.) It gave us Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Lylat Wars, Donkey Kong, the two Banjo games, Conker etc. For me, the N64 had a much bigger "Wow!" factor than the GC, where very few games seemed that fresh.

I think I may be alone in actually liking the N64's controller more than the Cube's. For me, the Cube's controller made sure that any multi-platform games would be bought on other systems.

I'm not suggesting that the N64 was a wonderful system here, simply that the Cube left me feeling unexcited. At least at the time the N64 seemed new and came with high expections, helped by an excellent first Mario title. There was nothing on the Cube that I really had to have. I waited until fairly recently to get one, I have about 8 games and am struggling to pick out any more that I would go out and get.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beautiful story fish sandwich. It almost made me cry

I never gave my reason for picking the 64 and here's why. I'm 24. I grew up with the NES as my first own system and SNES of course was 2nd. My uncle had an Intellivision (which was the first system I ever played) and Master System as well Genesis. I loved all those systems.

Then I was 14 going on 15 when the 64 came out which I bought with my own money helping with my cousin's construction company. It was the biggest letdown of $200 the graphics at the time weren't good. The games were either too kiddy or not fun. There was no replay value for any of the games for me. I had all the popular ones, Goldeneye, Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart. As said in a previous post there was such a long time between good games and when you got them they were so dissapointing (Castlevania 64)

Nintendo Power did such a great job of hyping of the 64 (I remember reading about Project Reality) and they totally forgot about NES or SNES. I have a younger cousin who's 15 and 64 was his first system and he defends it to his death so yes age is a def factor but if someone is that age and picks NES or SNES without playing them because they like 64 is just a bad assumption. My 64 was sold long ago and I had no regrets since.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for the NES, I then noticed the N64 button & realised I voted wrong. N64 failed to impress me but there are a few titles that are ok. My main gripe with the N64 is the controller, I just plain dont like it & dont enjoy playing games with it.
    NES I just never got into playing the games, SNES & Cube are my favorite Nintendo consoles, loads of great games for both

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have NO warm memories at all when it comes to N64.

I like like 3 games in that console..thats it. A total waste of time

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the N64. It was a great system with more than enough must-have games. But unfortunately, it has less than the other Nintendo system, imho. Also, my eyes have a hard time "going back" to 15fps 3d games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I voted the Gamecube. This little box had sooo much potential but other than a meager handfull of out-of-this-world and truely "different" titles (like Resident Evil, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness and Animal Crossing-even though A.C. is really a port of Animal Forest) it was just another "same old, same old but prettier" experience for me. The controller was okay but no where near as responsive as the N64’s.

I love the N64. It’s a solid system that got shafted when companies that didn’t produce games for it right away did a double take when shelves and racks of N64 games were picked clean and then cranked out “first gen” playing games in the systems second generation. Yeah some games do have that “vasoline-o-vision” but then again many titles on the PSX had objects that could shave your face or legs because of the jaggies and sharp angular polys. Some games even had the fugliest textures I’ve ever seen. Blaster Master Returns, anyone?

I’m just floored at how much hate this system gets. If it’s not the controller (which blows my mind: how is holding the controller like a pistol less comfortable than holding a dual shock where your left hand is stretched into a high “C”) then it’s the graphics (see above paragraph) and if that doesn’t cheese someone off then it’s either the lack of genre/titles (like RPG and “mature” titles respectively) or too much of a genre (like racing-which you can blame on the buying public for making publishers think that’s what gamers wanted). What did you 64 haters want?

The N64 had more than just a mere handful of good titles. Everyone thinks of Mario 64, Zelda OoT and Goldeneye but there are a bunch of great titles that get forgotten. Blast Corps, Excitebike 64, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Tetrisphere, Space Station Silicon Valley, F-Zero X, Gauntlet Legends (gotta make mention of that-the PSX version blew serious dog), the THQ/AKI WCW/WWF wrestling games, Perfect Dark, Yoshi’s Story, the original Super Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, Iggy’s Wrecking Balls…dang lots of good stuff. Sure some weren’t as “hip and trendy” or full of eye popping movies (I’m looking at you Final Fantasy) but that didn’t mean they sucked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

If only virtual boy was a choice..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My worst to first of all things Nintendo:

1) N64
    2) NES (sorry, I don't get it. I was a C64 man at the time.)
    3) GBC
    4) Virtual Boy (it was a good try and has some fun games)
    5) Original GB (decidedly worse than the Lynx, tho Tetris rox)
    6) GBA (original no-light)
    7) GBA SP/Micro
    8) Gamecube
    9) Nintendo DS
    10) SNES, possibly the best system of all time.

It ain't a definitive list, but it's mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frica89
    Why is the Wii a choice?
    I'm wondering that myself. A perfectly good poll, ruined...

Anyhow, I'm more of a quality over quantity person, so I had to go with GameCube. I'm only here to play games that offer something new, and the GameCube has had the least of these.

I pity the people who don't remember the N64 well. It had a lot of great experiences, and I'm sorry you missed out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked nothing. Why? I think all of Nintendo's systems are great, and none of them are bad. The Gamecube had its fair share of great games (Super Smash Bros. Melee) but had little to no third party support due to the Xbox and PS2 being out at the same time. However, I enjoyed playing the Gamecube's exclusive titles like MGS: The Twin Snakes and the wrestling games on the system. The N64 was one of the best systems I have played since there were so many good games coming out left and right. There was Super Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie series, and the list goes on. That's the reason why I play the N64 today. If the Virtual Boy was on the list, I would have picked that, since it was doomed from the start.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before I even clicked the topic I thought "virtual boy" but only to find out it wasn't an option. With those five (basically 4 since the Wii shouldn't even be up there) here is my list:

1. N64 - I just could never get into this system. Lack of games that intrigued me was one thing but I despised that stupid controller.

2. Gamecube - I actually like this system and the some of the games for it. I love the controller. But it too lacks in a gaming library and the fun that the next two systems brought me.

3. SNES - God, I love this system!!! Probably one of the best out there! Such a great library of games! HOURS of fun just sitting in front of the television on nice warm days playing this baby. I have no complaints.

4. NES - The system that started it all What can I say, I love it like my firstborn (well, if I had a firstborn). I grew up with this system and STILL 20 years later have just as much fun with it. It's so simplistic and easy to use. GREAT library of games from pure crap to outrageously awesome! Definitely the best system ever created on the face of the earth!
    NintendoAGE - The best NES database engine available on the net!

My Collection - Well, kinda. One of these days I will actually get a pic of the whole collection and post it on there. Until then, I only have a few games in there with some additional collection info stuff.