Thread: JVC X'Eye Report

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default JVC X'Eye Report

The story of my JVC X'Eye

Several years ago when I was working at FuncoLand and still very young, a guy came in to trade an X'Eye. Seeing as how the SKU was not in the system, I offered the guy cash out of my pocket; $25 to be precise, (which also included about 15 boxed Master System games --I scored LOTS of cool stuff like this).

The unit was in bad condition. It appeared that it had been given a bath in soda, and then left to sit for about five years. I took it home, took it apart, and cleaned it up. I removed all of the gunk, most of which was in the CD area.

After I determined that it was clean (very clean), I fired it up. The internal software came on. I tried it with a cart; very crisp picture; much clearer than my old model 1Genesis had been able to produce in years.

Then I tried a CD. It just wouldn't read them. Figuring that the laser/reader had been too badly damaged as a result of the soda bath and other sticky grossness, I wrote it off as unfixable.

Recently my Sega CD went out. Instead of coughing up the $30 to replace the sucker on eBay, I was prepared to trade away my X'Eye for the Sega CD. Being that a working X'Eye is can fetch $75 to $120 on eBay, I felt that this was a fair trade to another part who could fix it. Being that my X'Eye was not working and I hadn't the parts to repair it, and that I really need my Sega CD, I felt that this was a fair deal for me as well. (Sorry to everyone who was willing to make the trade!)

So, there I was cleaning it up before shipping it out, I decided to give it one last try. I hooked it up and put in a CD. Nothing. I noticed that I had the CD mount so off balance that the CD was actually touching the bottom of the CD bay, and wasn't even spinning. Well, no game can play like that! So, I took off the top cover to the system. When I held down the button that indicates that the CD door is closed, presto-worko! I am the proud owner of a fully functional JVC X'Eye! Now I can play my Sega CD games... Snatcher, here I come!

The X'Eye appears to work with all of my Sega CD games and quite well with most of my Genesis games. There does appear to be some compatibility issues with some older Genesis titles, however. My copy of Shadow Dancer took several tries to start on the JVC system, and no problem on my model 1 Genesis.

The X'Eye also worked flawlessly with all of my Sega CD games. So, I thought to myself, "Let's try it with the 32X, maybe I can pack that Genesis away and save some space."

So, I hooked the 32X up to the X'Eye. A funny looking combination. I remembered reading many years ago that the 32X was not compatible with the X'Eye, but I also remember reading that it really was, and Sega just wasn't licensed by the FTC to advertize compatibility with the X'Eye (same for the CDX, so I have been told). I didn't want to somehow destroy this very nice system that I just obtained, although I've owned it for years now.

Once hooked up I popped Blizzard's Blackthorne into the 32X. Success! Feeling good, I want to try out a 32X CD game. Now, because the 32X covers the X'Eye's CD port, the 32X must be removed before inserting and removing a CD... "What a pain," I thought.

Well, as it turns out the X'Eye glitches on 32X CD games, so apparently it is not fully compatible. It appears that I am still in the market for a new Sega CD, though I'll probably only use the Genesis/Sega CD/32X combo for 32X games only, (of which I own all but four, so it's worth it).

An interesting fact about the X'Eye is that it came packaged with the same controller as the model 1 Genesis - the best three button ever made, except the cord is six feet as opposed to three, which makes me happy. If only they made their 6-button controllers as nice.

Here's an image:

The less rare but sometimes more expensive Japanese unit was called the Wondermega, and looked slightly different:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: JVC X'Eye Report

There are multiple versions of the Wondermega (glad to see it again), some of which are rarer than others, to clear that up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congats! That a great sory, and well-told. Glad you didn't write it off!

My X-Eye plays all five of the 32x cd games just fine... maybe a bit more tinkering is in order.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Congats! That a great sory, and well-told. Glad you didn't write it off!

My X-Eye plays all five of the 32x cd games just fine... maybe a bit more tinkering is in order.
    Hmm... In that case I will give it another attempt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This may be a silly question, but is the CD game you can't get to work Farenheit? You have to put in the regular Sega CD version in order to boot up CD 2, the 32x version. Then again, you said you own four games (out of five total) so I assume you tried all of them. What kind of problems are you getting?

Does anyone actually like ANY of the 32x CD games? Corpse Killer and Night Trap are good for a laugh but I find the other three to be borderline unplayable and the opposite of fun. All five games fall under the "only play if you have absolutely nothing else for any system available" games.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Re: JVC X'Eye Report

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    There are multiple versions of the Wondermega (glad to see it again), some of which are rarer than others, to clear that up.
    ok the rarest of all Wondermega is the one made by Sega and has the white ring around the motorised CD door. JVC Wondermega doesn't have the white ring and bit more common than Sega one.
    Now JVC also produced Wondermega 2 which became X-Eye in US after some severe chopping. ^ ^ Unlike X'Eye Wondermega 2 had the wireless controller as standard as well as S-Video port though you could put one into X'Eye if you wanted since someone from this board had done so some time ago...

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone actually like ANY of the 32x CD games? Corpse Killer and Night Trap are good for a laugh but I find the other three to be borderline unplayable and the opposite of fun. All five games fall under the "only play if you have absolutely nothing else for any system available" games.
    Supreme Warrior!!! I don't know how to play it, but it's mesmerizing!

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That problem with the CD door closed button seems to be pretty common... I had the same issue with mine, and after a little tinkering I got it to work just fine. I believe InsaneDavid (sorry can't remember the exact name) had a similar problem at one time as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This may be a silly question, but is the CD game you can't get to work Farenheit? You have to put in the regular Sega CD version in order to boot up CD 2, the 32x version. Then again, you said you own four games (out of five total) so I assume you tried all of them. What kind of problems are you getting?
    I own all five games. I only tried Supreme Warrior and Scottie Pippen before giving up. (Both of those games I've never had a chance to play.

When I start a 32X CD game it initiates, and then it slows down and kind of freezes up. All of my Sega CD games seem to work just fine. I logged a few hours in on Snatcher. Now I feel justified in going off to spend the big bucks on two of my most wanted games: Dark Wizzard and Shining Force CD.

I didn't even think about Farenheit; I suppose that would be impossible to play on the X'eye, considering that the 32X needs to be removed to change a disc. More justification for me to buy a new Sega CD!

To be honest with you, of the three that I have played, I hate them. I hate all FMV games. I have Sewer Shark and Loadstar, I can't even figure out how I'm supposed to "play" those damn games. Same goes for Farenheit. Where is the game in that movie?