Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SNES Releases and Variants--Definitive Guide !!Please Help!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stumbled across the Maximum Carnage variant today. It also come in a gray cart which totally suprised me as I thought that the red one was the only one. Then I learned about the Limited Edition one from PredatorXS and Blitzwing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hear's another EA variant. Bulls vs Blazers. One has the an EA Sports logo in the left hand corner and the other as an EASN logo in the left hand corner. The former has a 1 at the end of the code.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default .

I remember reading in a magazine back in the day that one of the NBA Jam titles had a re-release that took out Charles Barkley. Apparently it was a licensing issues because Charles was getting his own game (Shut up and Jam?) published by another company.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Er, are you sure that -all- titles assembled in Mexico were Majesco rereleases?

Because I remember seeing a ton of SNES games being assembled in Mexico, and they weren't rereleases. A few of 'em were Nintendo titles, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you going to include Not For Resale carts as variants for your list?
    "That's the way game chasing go~"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    Er, are you sure that -all- titles assembled in Mexico were Majesco rereleases?

Because I remember seeing a ton of SNES games being assembled in Mexico, and they weren't rereleases. A few of 'em were Nintendo titles, as well.
    As far as I've seen all "assembled in mexico" carts are Majesco re-releases. Now, there were numerous "made in Mexico" games and they are a different story. I looked through my collection for ones that had the non-glossy labels first, then I looked for the "aim". The best way to tell will be when I slap the two carts down next to each other, but that will take some active searching.

Quote Originally Posted by opitekk
    Are you going to include Not For Resale carts as variants for your list?
    I am, but I don't believe that I need any information on them as I believe that PredatorXS owns all of them and they are recorded in another thread I have entitled "SNES Sports Lots".

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway
    I remember reading in a magazine back in the day that one of the NBA Jam titles had a re-release that took out Charles Barkley. Apparently it was a licensing issues because Charles was getting his own game (Shut up and Jam?) published by another company.
    Wikipedia mentioned different versions of NBA Jam TE that allowed for different character to be added with codes so Barley might have been taken out then or that is what you might be thinkiing of instead. Majesco did a lot of re-releases for Acclaim so it is possible that it is this case. But I didn't notice any differences in labels on any of the ones on Ebay right now. DP lists the code as SNS-AJTE-USA for TE, so If someone can post a pick of that cart and any cart which has a different code. Please include the top of the label in the pic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found this website.

It mentions a few re-release, including Kirby's Avalanche. I checked through Ebay and found that one has the KA rating on it and the other has the E rating on it. The latter has a 1 at the end of the code. I also believe that you will notice a slight difference in the top lettering when the carts are sat side by side as I do on the two versions of F-Zero that I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked on Sim City and Vegas Stakes. Sim City does have a Million Seller version but I could not find one for Vegas Stakes. I did however find a variant in Vegas Stakes. One has an E rating logo and the other has a logo for the Mouse Compatibility. The former has a 1 at the end of the code. And I'm sure that if you put the two carts together that the letter on the top of the label with be slightly different. But just because I couldn't find a Vegas Stakes Million Seller copy on Ebay, doesn't mean that one doesn't exist. If you've got on please post a pic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is what I'm talking about with the differance in lettering.

Here's the front of the labels.

And here the two versions of John Madden 93.

I noticed that the players choice copy of F-Zero that I own had a 2 at the end of the code and looking on Ebay I see that 2 had the E rating logo and 1 had the KA rating logo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a list of all the Player's Choice titles as listed on Wkipedia.

Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
    Final Fantasy IV (hard Type)
    Final Fantasy VI
    F-Zero
    Mario Paint
    SimCity
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Super Star Wars
    Tetris & Dr. Mario
    Tetris 2
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Chrono Trigger

I could not find a copy which was a Player's Choice for Any of the Final Fantasy titles or for Chronotrigger on Ebay at this time. Doubt that they were released as a Players Choice. However, if someone does own one please post a pic. Also, if you have a different code for Chronotrigger than M/SNS-ACTE-USA than post a pic of that as well.

While researching these titles, I found this website which has a limited list of re-released games for the SNES. On that site it states that Star Wars 4 was released by Majesco but Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were released by THQ. Here is the link. Link

I will be changing the first post to be more complete and more organized in the future. I am collecting a lot of data and believe that the first post is not condusive to that data.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to burst anyone's bubble here but unless someone really has a sealed copy of the game or a black and white manual we can't really confirm based off someone saying they have a game with a imprinted plastic label on the back.

Someone could have very well swapped backs to a cartridge. Although I hope, and am pretty sure, that more research is being done than just checking cart backs!

Just a thought!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhhh, but you can tell from other things. Some times the code is different and you can see a difference in "Made in Japan" and "Assembled in Mexico". Also, sometimes they changed the rating on the game or added the rating all together. All of these thing can be told from the front label of the cart. Majesco's are the easy to tell due to an absence of luster to the front label. I can see them right off the bat just by creating a glare on the carts and seeing which ones don't have that glare.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I can say with absolute certainty that NO SQUARE GAMES were released as Player's Choice games. I'm aware that there were multiple printings of Final Fantasy III at least, but all the copies I've seen were standard versions.

Now alternate product codes? There's a possibility since FF3 had two versions at least...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Noticed that there are at least 3 versions of Super Mario World. 2 versions that are not Players Choice and 1 which is. One has the title on one line on the front label and the other has Super Mario on one line and then World just below it. I forget which one is the original.

The new layout is coming soon and will be much more indepth. I just gathering as much data together as possible.
    Last edited by 50TBRD; 08-16-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Master Chu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Paperboy 2, Pac Man 2 : The New Adventures, Goof Troop & Beavis and Butthead...all with the engraved backs and non-glossy labels. And i also just noticed that my 2 Secret of Evermore carts are different. One says made in Japan and one says made in Mexico on the front, and the one from Mexico has a M in front of the product code...

-(Chu)-

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i kind of skimmed this topic, but didnt see a mention of SUPER PINBALL: BEHIND THE MASK. I have a copy with yellow lettering and no ESRB logo on the front, with the 'technos' logo, and one without a developer logo, has "E" rating and blue lettering on top. anyone else have both or did i miss this mentioned?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    i kind of skimmed this topic, but didnt see a mention of SUPER PINBALL: BEHIND THE MASK. I have a copy with yellow lettering and no ESRB logo on the front, with the 'technos' logo, and one without a developer logo, has "E" rating and blue lettering on top. anyone else have both or did i miss this mentioned?
    Thanks, qbertandernie. Could you take a couple of pics side by side. I looked for the two on Ebay but could find a pic with the original so you could see the top of the cart.

Nice username too.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

theres actually three versions of super pinball: behind the mask ive confirmed now...my original doesnt have the ESRB rating, but has a blue top label. ill get scans later on!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the first is blue top, no developer, Nintendo logo only, M/SNS-XP-USA-1 (the "D" sticker is aftermarket)

the second is yellow top, Technos name, 'Licensed by' above nintendo logo, SNS-XP-USA

ive also seen(and ill buy it when i can get back to the store) a version with the ESRB rating on the front, blue writing, i think SNS-XP-USA-2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's great. Exactly what I'm looking for.