Thread: The NES Ressurection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The NES Ressurection.

This past weekend I went on an archeological survey in an attempt to unearth gaming goodness. A few false leads including finding the original box to my NES console I was ready to give up and close the storage building. Fortunately my father had a keen eye and unearthed from a box an NES, 2 controllers, and a mess of games. Gathering the find into a box I rushed back to the lab (home).

First things first, remove the funk. Storage had left a bit of a moldy smell and filth on the console and carts. Sitting on the front porch I lovingly cleaned the system and all the games down to the controller wires. Reviving the surface was just the first step, making them tolerable to enter the house. Then I setup an assembly line, systematically cleaning the contacts on each game with the most special of tools, something called a Q-Tip. Progress had to end here, for I was with out the AC adapter and video cable.

The following day I journeyed to the geek attic in Lynchburg "The Vault". I was able to pick up several more games and both cables I required. Moving from there quickly to a friends house for some 8-bit goodness I was confronted with "BLINKIES". Yup, powering up and blinking on and off was no way to get a game to work, so the NES was scheduled for surgery that night. If you have never been inside of an NES it is worth taking a look at the simplicity that gives so much pleasure. I removed the 72-pin connector (the part that the cartridge actually sides into) and began doing a little cleaning and praying. That night I managed to play Goonies II and Castlevania, other games were still not responding.

Researching more into the 72-pin connector I learned that new ones could be purchased, but reviews said these tend to be of a poorer quality. What to do? Digging further on the net I discovered directions for bending all of the pins back to their former positions. After a tedious work session I now have Mario Bros. 3 working as well. Now I will attempt to work with it further and pray to Miyamoto for the salvation of a loving console that I know is not ready for the pearly gates...

Anyone else have a ressurection story, or in the process of performing one?
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sure do. It even involves a Nintendo system.

A few months back, I found an orphaned Gamecube at a Goodwill store which appeared to have been abandoned by a kid or teenager who gave up on it too soon. It was console only with no controllers or hookups. Just a loose system with a couple extras (see below).

The "Open" button was completely stuck/jammed and the tray door had to be stuck down with tape by a Goodwill employee. It would not close. The system had a memory card stuck in it and the Street Hoops game inside. A couple other loose games were also part of the package.

This stuff cost me $20 and I took it home for a couple of reasons. I didn't have a Gamecube, didn't even have plans to buy one, but I figured this was a sign for me to try out the system. I also believed that nobody in my area was going to be able to rescue it as well as I could.

I took it home, had it cleaned and even managed to get the "Open" button unjammed so the tray opens and shuts every time. The only bad part would be that the button could end up getting stuck again someday, but it can't be helped. I just have to avoid pushing it too hard or using it unnecessarily.

To test the system, I decided to purchase some low cost hookups and a couple of controllers from Ebay so I would know whether or not it worked. I also picked up a couple other games here and there, on the side. The good news was it did. The system loads great and the games play perfectly. The biggest problem I have now is that one of the loose games that came bundled with the system in Goodwill does not load. That and there are some very light scratches on the system from where the previous owner apparently tried to dig into the "Open" button and free it. Although the tape that was placed over the tray door at Goodwill, to keep it closed, left marks on the Gamecube, I managed to get rid of the residue fairly well.

The reason this system was in a position to be resurrected is simple. Some careless kid (or kids) probably got the door stuck and either gave up on it or assumed it was broken. Next thing you know, the Gamecube was taken to Goodwill. I expect their parents bought them another Gamecube and all was well. Another theory could be that they just didn't like it, seeing that the games were included.

With that said, I'm glad I was able to resurrect and save this system. It is alive and well, now in stable condition instead of critical. However, I don't have a whole lot of interest in keeping it around. Right now, I am trying to unload it. But if it doesn't "sell", I'll consider investing in some more games. I've grown somewhat attached to this little black Gamecube, even if I have no real interest in the system or its games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe... Ressurection...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christhegamer
    Hehe... Ressurection...

i revived my dad's old coleco telestar....

that's about it

its missing the battery doors and the wires to the 9v battery connections have a tendency to break. Oh, and the picture is horrible. its really scratchy. the sound comes out of the telestar system itsself...
    beep...boop...
    boo-beep...bee-boop
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've brought back from the dead ...

about 1200 PS2's
    about 1000 Xboxes
    about 250 NGC's
    about 40 PSP's
    about 50 NDS's
    about 50 DC's
    about 200 PS1's
    about 60 Saturns
    about 12 Neo Geo AES's
    abot 300 SNES's
    about 1800 NES's
    about 30 TurboDuo's
    about 50 Intellivision's
    about 30 Atari 2600's
    about 75 ColecoVisions
    and many more .

Sorry, but I don't have a story for each one.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I once swapped a well working (but damaged body) NES with a Non-Wokring (but good body) NES back when I was 14 or so. Not that big of a deal now, but it was quite the accomplishment for me at the time.

Now the most I do is open up NES carts to clean them with a white eraser and q-tips.

I was able to pick up several more games and both cables I required. Moving from there quickly to a friends house for some 8-bit goodness I was confronted with "BLINKIES".
    Did you try the lockout chip mod that people talk about? It's supposed to help games run better in the long run and seems very easy to do. I just never bothered with it because I had jus got my NES2 when I found out about it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I use a grody NES as the fourth leg on my Ikea dresser - it's precisely the right height to keep the dresser level. I have it hooked up to the TV at times just because it's amusing to me.

A NES resurrected my dresser.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not familiar with the lock-chip mod. I will have to take a look.

I did get get many of the games working after bending all of the pins back into place and then cleaning the connector.

Only thing is I must have over bent them slightly because now the games work without pushing them down (front-load) nintendo.

But it does feel great to be gaming 8-bit again.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I've never really seen many people discuss this, but I pass it on to anyone who has a NES with blinking problems.

When you insert a cart, don't just push it all the way in and press the game down, push the game until it is still over the lip but only just, and then press down, sliding the game over the lip.

You'll get a far better connection, it doesn't guarantee anything, but it increases the odds of the game firing up a hell of a lot easier.