Thread: Remember Commander Keen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default Remember Commander Keen?

ID Software's first popular title (if not first title?).

I have many fond memories playing the second episode, The Earth Explodes, at my grandparents house back in the early 90's. Never could get far cause I was terrible on the keyboard.

Anyone care to share their thoughts or provide some info on this forgotten gem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Commander Keen was great. It was made by the same company as the original Duke Nukem games, as I recall. I only played episode 1 because it was shareware, but it was a great game. However, I was only 5 so I died a lot.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This whole series is great, my favorite is the oddball; Keen Dreams.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh yeah. We used to play this game in my photography class in highschool.

I think I had the shareware version of it at home.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, yes - Commander Keen. It sure has been awhile since I last played that, apart from a PSP port that Team Emergency Exit released.

These were great games back in the day. If I remember right, I think Secret of the Oracle (Episode 4) was my favourite. I think I've played them all, but I never bought one.

When I was young, all I needed was shareware.

There is actually a pretty good Commander Keen fan site that is still - somehow - going to this day.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Ah, yes - Commander Keen. It sure has been awhile since I last played that, apart from a PSP port that Team Emergency Exit released.

These were great games back in the day. If I remember right, I think Secret of the Oracle (Episode 4) was my favourite. I think I've played them all, but I never bought one.

When I was young, all I needed was shareware.

There is actually a pretty good Commander Keen fan site that is still - somehow - going to this day.
    How is the PSP port? I have a 2.7 PSP so I can't play homebrew (yet), but that sounds like something I would like to check out.

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    How is the PSP port? I have a 2.7 PSP so I can't play homebrew (yet), but that sounds like something I would like to check out.
    Honestly... it is pretty good. I certainly didn't notice any problems, though I only breezed through a couple of levels at the time.

The copy I downloaded came with the shareware version of Episode 1. I believe that the port also supports Episode 2 and 3. I don't know about Episodes 4, 5 or 6, though - I have a feeling id updated the engine for those. The port should obviously support the full versions of the first three episodes, as well.

It hasn't been updated for awhile, though. There are a couple of bugs, but the game ran flawlessly for me. No performance issues at all. It is from the same group of guys that brought Quake II to the PSP... so you know you're getting a quality release.

Do you need a link?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Honestly... it is pretty good. I certainly didn't notice any problems, though I only breezed through a couple of levels at the time.

The copy I downloaded came with the shareware version of Episode 1. I believe that the port also supports Episode 2 and 3. I don't know about Episodes 4, 5 or 6, though - I have a feeling id updated the engine for those. The port should obviously support the full versions of the first three episodes, as well.

It hasn't been updated for awhile, though. There are a couple of bugs, but the game ran flawlessly for me. No performance issues at all. It is from the same group of guys that brought Quake II to the PSP... so you know you're getting a quality release.

Do you need a link?
    If you have the link handy, then that would be great. Like I said, I can't run homebrew on my PSP yet because I upgraded to 2.7, but chances are that a 2.7 downgrader is just around the corner.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have #4 on my laptop, it helps keep me sane. It's right next to my folder with Tiapei <sp> in it.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the link handy, then that would be great. Like I said, I can't run homebrew on my PSP yet because I upgraded to 2.7, but chances are that a 2.7 downgrader is just around the corner.
    Yeah... I reckon you're right. A downgrader for 2.7 can't be far off, not since they've now nailed 2.5 and 2.6.

You can download this Commander Keen port (version 0.99, I think) here (direct link). This includes the shareware version of Episode 1.

It actually turns out that Episode 2 and 3 don't currently work. And as I mentioned earlier, they haven't updated this for a little while. So chances are they might never sort this out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman
    Commander Keen was great. It was made by the same company as the original Duke Nukem games, as I recall. I only played episode 1 because it was shareware, but it was a great game. However, I was only 5 so I died a lot.
    3D Realms makes Duke Nukem, Commander Keen is made by ID Software, those that made Heretic, Doom, Quake, Wolf3D, and Hexen to name a few popular series.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]