Thread: which ps2 mod chip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default which ps2 mod chip

A buddy of mine wants me to look for a mod chip for his PS2 so he can play the psx ddr games. I'm looking for a good solderless chip. I'm not sure which version system he has, but it's older. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable, easy to install chip? Also, any site recommendations of where to get one? Lots of the sites seem pretty shady and I'm not really jumping to send them my credit card number and address. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DMS4 SE Pro chip is what you want. Can play anything you throw at it: backups, imports, originals. I bought one so I could play the JPN DDR games and the games load up on my slim PS2 like any other game. No disc swapping or crazy button config at boot-up.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to patch your backups before you play online but I think all chips are like this. I can't do this because I have a Mac and the patching apps are all for PC's. I hear that the Matrix Infinity chip allows you to play backups online without any patching but I'm not sure if this this is true.

And STAY AWAY FROM SOLDERLESS CHIPS. It's so easy to mess your PS2 up by installing those, it's not even worth it. I did it to mine and totally screwed my PS2 up. Just send it out to a professional and have them do the solder job for you. That's what I did. The price of a soderless chip and the price of a solder chip w/ paying someone to solder it in for you is about the same anyway.

This is the guy I used. He's very reliable and has a great reputation. Charges $30 for installs and you can buy the chips directly from him, so all you gotta do is send your PS2 out to him and he'll do everything. Even offers a 3 month warranty on his services:

http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpB...pic.php?t=4382

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Matrix Infinity chip and I love it. They update for little minor things but it just shows that the company is supporting their product fully. I have thrown tons of games at it and have never had a problem booting anything. US. JAP. PAL all have worked. You can force any game in to either NTSC or PAL It even has a little option to help display PAL games correctly on an NTSC TV. Have recommended it to my cousins and they too have no problems with it. Even with the Marix chip you have to patch your backups with your DNAS code to play games online. If your using an original though you don't need to worry about this.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its great you can play PAL and JP games for the PS2 but can you play also PAL and JP PS1 games on a modded PS2 with the Matrix Infinity chip? I have some old import games that I haven't played since my old modded ps1 died out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by All Things Sega
    Its great you can play PAL and JP games for the PS2 but can you play also PAL and JP PS1 games on a modded PS2 with the Matrix Infinity chip? I have some old import games that I haven't played since my old modded ps1 died out.
    Yes you can.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    - Bioshock (360)
    - Disgaea (DS)
    - Wipeout HD (PS3)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup its pretty cool actually was playing Megaman X3 Pal for Ps1 on my PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I've checked into both of the above suggestions, and I'm not sure I'm really to comfortable with the idea of opening up the system and messing around in there (or paying someone else to do it). For my PSX I have a mod that just plugs into the I/O port. I didn't have to open the system at all. Are there any mods like that for the PS2 that work well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson
    For my PSX I have a mod that just plugs into the I/O port. I didn't have to open the system at all. Are there any mods like that for the PS2 that work well?
    Not really. You can get a flip-top mod for your PS2 but that involves swapping discs and if you want to play backups, you'll have to patch them too.

I'd just pay someone to get the chip soldered in for you. Just go to someone who gets a lot of work and offers a warranty.