I was at a used game store today and noticed they had the official xbox S-Video adapter for $6 Cdn - I snapped it up and was excited about it

I asked the guy whether they had the component version - he said that he did not, but he said he had an RCA V-port cable that connect to component devices and it should do the trick. It was a good price so I got that too. On the way out he warned me that softmodded xbox's won't use component cables. I decided I'd try it anyway.

I got it home, plugged the v-port end of the cable into the xbox AV out and the component cables into my TV, and the xbox wouldn't turn on - the LED was flashing orange and green. Here is a link to the cables I bought (the bottom ones) (LINK) Now, usually these cables are set up so you plug a device with component out into a TV with a v-port in. But the v-port plugs perfectly into the xbox AV out. But they don't say xbox anywhere

So what's the deal? Is it that (1) The clerk's right and softmodded xboxes don't like component video, or (2) Those are the wrong cables. BTW, I hooked up my xbox using S-Video now - it looks a little sharper than composite, so it's not a total loss, but I would like to get component running. Was using the RCA V-port-component cable a bad move?